Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Bug Sceneview pickable cycling not working for prefabs not in root

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ramonster1986, Nov 27, 2023.

1. ramonster1986

ramonster1986

My issue is as follows. When I'm filling scenes and want to select an object, I usually click a few times on the broad location of the object so that it cycles through objects until it selects the one I need. This doesn't work for me if there's a prefab that has some parent in the hierarchy. It won't cycle but rather always select this object.

I'm curious about other people's experiences. Reproduction is rather simple:
    1) Create a new scene, remove any default gameobjects like camera
    2) Add two gameobjects: one with a sprite renderer (with some sprite) and another with a rect transform. Ensure both objects are at about the same position.
    3) Drag the object with the rect transform to your project view so it becomes a prefab
    4) Start clicking on the objects. Note that all is still well.

ezgif-1-cbf1c87833.gif When I keep on clicking, it'll cycle through objects like I would expect.

To create what I think is not expected behaviour: right click on the prefab instance and click "create empty parent", and then start clicking in the scene view again.

ezgif-1-b3ab64c249.gif When I click on the test image again, it doesn't cycle through the objects, but rather it stays on the prefab.

Do people experience the same issue? Am I correct in thinking this is unexpected editor behaviour (and should be filing a bug report)? Or am I overlooking something? The issue is rather annoying because my 2d game is full of prefabs that are not in the root of the scene, and I really like mindless clicking in order to select the object I need. It's not a blocking issue, just reducing my productivity.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023