Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SceneManager async loading and lightmaps

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by WildStyle69, Aug 16, 2019.

1. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Hello Unity, All,

I was informed that async load of scene lightmaps is already in Unity 2019.2.1. Can anyone please confirm if this true?

In my VR project I'm loading a lot of small sub scenes additively and seeing performances hitches when scenes with lightmaps are loaded. I was told this should already be fixed, so am trying to find out for sure.

// WildStyle

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

WildStyle69 likes this.
  3. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Thanks @Peter77

I don't think it's that -- the performance hitches relate to the following quoted feedback:

"For the large time spent in EnlightenRuntimeManager.UpdateAlbedo, I believe some improvements went into 2019.1 to remove these main thread sync points (shown as large time spent in Gfx.ReadbackImage in the profiler capture) from these functions."

So it does specifically relate to the lightmaps. Although I do realize that Enlighten will be heading out to pasture soon!

Not related to this issue specifically - my current project lighting looks better with Enlighten, I get weird artifacts if I try to use progressive, which I'd prefer to use.. but that's a whole other story. :)

// WildStyle

Peter77 likes this.
  4. Kuba

Kuba

Hey @WildStyle69,

Improvements that you're referring to landed in 2019.1. Hope they will improve your case!

Cheers!

WildStyle69 likes this.
  5. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Good to know, thanks @Kuba !

// WildStyle