Search Unity

Feedback SceneDependencyCache shouldn't be an Asset

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Awarisu, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Awarisu

Awarisu

These are just a bunch of binary files that you can safely .gitignore or delete at pretty much any time. They would fit right into the Library folder next to all the other caches.

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

These files should be in .gitignore. in your project

They will be moved into the Library folder when the asset pipeline supports that.

3. Awarisu

Awarisu

Thank you for the response. Is there a targeted version for this support?

4. bjarkeck

bjarkeck

@Joachim_Ante Unity needs like a new core "GeneratedAssets" or "PackageDependencies/" or "PackageAssets" folder which plugins and packages could use. Too often does plugins generate stuff in the root Assets folder, and packages has no logical place to place generate things.

Code (csharp):
    2. Assets
    3.   /OnlyUserThings
    4.   ...
    5. PackageDependencies (Writable)
    6.    /Entities/SceneDependencyCache
    7.    ...
    8. Packages
    9.    /Entities/
    10.    ...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    DotsCreative likes this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

6. bjarkeck

bjarkeck

7. JesOb

JesOb

I think it not usable it is for UserSettings nor additional project settings and it must be not under source control just to provide Per User settings

So we actually need that place where packages will generate their dynamic content, not only cache but any content.

bjarkeck likes this.
  8. nicolasgramlich

nicolasgramlich

Note, in case anyone gets weird issues with entire subscenes mysteriously not loading in builds i.e. Android, I fix it by nuking the entire
    ./Assets/SceneDependencyCache
    and
    ./Assets/StreamingAssets
    for good measure. If things get real weird I sometimes take out the bazooka and get a glass of wine:
    rm -rf ./Library ; rm -rf ./Temp ; rm -rf ./obj ; rm -rf ./Assets/StreamingAssets ; rm -rf ./Assets/SceneDependencyCache

My gut feeling is that it happens when switching git branches under the hood, Unity doesn't properly detect changes to the subscenes and doesn't rebuild/update/copying (???) those caches and ends up not finding them in the builds while everything is fine in the editor.

Good times :)

9. MarcelArioli

MarcelArioli

nicolasgramlich likes this.
  10. JohnAustinPontoco

JohnAustinPontoco

This folder is present, even if you're not using the com.unity.platforms@1.0 package. It at least shouldn't write out these cache files unless they're necessary?

Is there a timeline for the Editor changes necessary to move this out of Assets?