Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Scene window pitch black

Discussion in 'Linux' started by retronamous, Aug 27, 2015.

1. retronamous

retronamous

My scene tab is pitch black and I cant seem to get anything to appear in it. When I add a light or 3d model, I can see the change in the game tab, but the scene stays black. When I switch from 2d to 3d in the scene tab I can see the little axis appear in the right corner of the scene, but nothing else. Oh, and yes, I have the layers set to "Everything"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    malithayesh2002 likes this.
  2. Tak

Tak

What GPU and driver are you using? Can you post an editor log ( ~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log ) from a session where this happens?

3. retronamous

retronamous

Intel HD graphics 5500. How exactly do I find the editor log? I can't find a file with that path

4. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

The editor log is located at ~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log. Type gedit ~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log in the terminal to open it (or press CTRL+H in a file manager window to reveal the hidden files (in your home folder) and browse for it manually).

5. retronamous

retronamous

Alright here it is.

Attached Files:

6. retronamous

retronamous

I've been doing research and I can't seem to find many people that have had this problem on any platform. Most people just have deselected layers in the top right corner and thus can't see anything in the scene window. I have checked and have the "Everything" tab turned on. I've played around with some settings and have even reinstalled the program, but the issue persists. Not sure what to do at this point. I can't really use the program if I can't see or select anything in the scene.

7. retronamous

retronamous

Alright so I've found that I get this error in the console every time I try to open a new scene tab. I have no idea what this means so I am posting here:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.SceneView.LookAt (Vector3 pos, Quaternion rot, Single newSize, Boolean ortho, Boolean instant) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1656)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.Awake () (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:400)
    UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu(Object, String[], Int32)

8. knobby67

knobby67

Hi,
    I'm having exactly the same problem, scene is black. If a click to run game sky dome appears. Click back onto scene and black. I'm running a Lubuntu 15.04 64 bit. My card comes up as
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7550M/7570M/7650M] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Sony Corporation Device 90ac
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    Memory at b0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Memory at c4000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    I/O ports at 5000
    Expansion ROM at c4040000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci

I'm running xorg drivers, I'll try to swap to proiority.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  9. knobby67

knobby67

I've just check out my drivers and as reported in another thread rather than having 3 options, "AMD" x2 and XOrg, since installing unity a fourth has appeared, "continue using manually installed drivers", this is selected and I can't change. This has only appeared since I've installed unity? I'm puzzled?

10. knobby67

knobby67

Hi,
    did anyone find a solution to the black scene issue? I've tried maximising and reopening the window but nothing. When I open the window my error log shows, I don't know if this has something to do with it?

Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.000193 seconds (Nothing changed)
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.000181 seconds (Nothing changed)
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.000206 seconds (Nothing changed)
    /usr/share/themes/Lubuntu-default/gtk-2.0/apps/thunar.rc:55: error: invalid string constant "thunar-statusbar", expected valid string constant
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.000207 seconds (Nothing changed)
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.000170 seconds (Nothing changed)
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.000198 seconds (Nothing changed)
    /usr/share/themes/Lubuntu-default/gtk-2.0/apps/thunar.rc:55: error: invalid string constant "thunar-statusbar", expected valid string constant

11. Punman91

Punman91

I'm having the same issue. Scene view just appears black, the game view seems to be rendering fine though. Intel HD Graphics 5500 on Ubuntu 14.04

12. knobby67

knobby67

I fixed it, switched over to xorg drivers, rebooted system. Then reinstalled amd drivers, rebooted and they worked. Unsure if it's basic driver or experimental. Think it's basic amd. But the fix was switching to xorg first, this seems to have cleared something

13. AlaX-x

AlaX-x

I have this problem plz any solu 15530023840294698728957351330246.jpg tion

14. dailypasta

dailypasta

I was able to fix this by Reimporting the Post Processing in the Asset Folder. I also did so in the Packages folder but it may depend which Post Processing asset you're using.

Hope this helps for people searching in the future! :)

BrandyStarbrite, jamesor and PixelJ like this.
  15. socialtrens

socialtrens

I have the same problem with ver 2021.1.19f1. I don't have Post Processing installed. I was able to fix this by close the Scene Window. And reopen Scene Window by using CTRL + 1.

Hope this helps for people searching in the future!