Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Scene view stuck and grey

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by topofsteel, Dec 13, 2011.

1. topofsteel

topofsteel

I did something and my scene view seems to be broken. Its grey with no horizon and wont focus on any object that's placed in it, like a terrain. What did I do and how can I fix this?

Preston2121 likes this.
  2. Alchemyst

Alchemyst

If you're talking about in the editor, try resetting the layout. Windows->Layouts->Pick any option

3. sylvsyntax

sylvsyntax

Same problem

Necron99 likes this.
  4. JrCooler

JrCooler

ProbePLayer likes this.
  5. ProbePLayer

ProbePLayer

I have the same issue. Scene view is blank (not that there arent any objects in the scene, I can see them in the Hierarchy panel. but the scene view is not showing 3d or 2d space but is simply all gray (imagine the inspector panel with nothing selected) and I am getting this error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    2. Parameter name: dest
    3. UnityEditor.EditorUtility.CopySerializedIfDifferent (UnityEngine.Object source, UnityEngine.Object dest) (at <1fe7a3c0284a456b9681b7a93141c89a>:0)
    4. UnityEditorInternal.ComponentUtility.ReplaceComponentsIfDifferent (UnityEngine.GameObject src, UnityEngine.GameObject dst, UnityEditorInternal.ComponentUtility+IsDesiredComponent componentFilter) (at <1fe7a3c0284a456b9681b7a93141c89a>:0)
    5. UnityEditor.SceneView.UpdateImageEffects (System.Boolean enable) (at <1fe7a3c0284a456b9681b7a93141c89a>:0)
    6. UnityEditor.SceneView.SetupCamera () (at <1fe7a3c0284a456b9681b7a93141c89a>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at <1fe7a3c0284a456b9681b7a93141c89a>:0)
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    9. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    10. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    11. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at <1fe7a3c0284a456b9681b7a93141c89a>:0)
    13. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at <1fe7a3c0284a456b9681b7a93141c89a>:0)
    14. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at <1fe7a3c0284a456b9681b7a93141c89a>:0)
    15. UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect) (at <1fe7a3c0284a456b9681b7a93141c89a>:0)
    16. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at <1fe7a3c0284a456b9681b7a93141c89a>:0)
    17. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    18. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    19. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoIMGUIRepaint () (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    20. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RenderChainCommand.ExecuteNonDrawMesh (UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.DrawParams drawParams, System.Boolean straightY, System.Single pixelsPerPoint, System.Exception& immediateException) (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    21. Rethrow as ImmediateModeException
    22. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RenderChain.Render (UnityEngine.Rect viewport, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection, UnityEngine.UIElements.PanelClearFlags clearFlags) (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    23. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.DrawChain (UnityEngine.Rect viewport, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection) (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    24. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.Update () (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    25. UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdater.UpdateVisualTreePhase (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdatePhase phase) (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    26. UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.UpdateForRepaint () (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    27. UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.Repaint (UnityEngine.Event e) (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    28. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    29. UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at <356f1ddb1d524ad59c7a2c95775bb38e>:0)
    30. UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at <819de1aa368e45faa4f78e26c97c62b0>:0)
    edit: I switched the scene view to wireframe and it showed the scene. wireframe shaded also worked. I guess the issue is with just the shaded view

extra edit: this doesn't happen in all scenes. I have four scenes. two of them work and two of them don't. I am using collaborate btw.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    isabelleus95 likes this.
  6. ProbePLayer

ProbePLayer

Okay so I removed Post-processing Layers from my cameras and then added them again and it was fixed for me :)

AlejandroHaibi likes this.
  7. Proto-G

Proto-G

Thank you!

8. jrwalz

jrwalz

Thank you. I would never have guessed that.

9. gordowebdesign

gordowebdesign

This happened to me in URP - Resetting layout didn't help.

Solution: added forward renderer to URP asset (it was auto removed when I deleted a sky asset).

10. ZBerm

ZBerm

Just throwing in my error, also with URP, if this helps anyone.

Problem:
    Scene view was blank grey, changing to other scenes worked though and I had the following error message:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    2. Parameter name: dest
    Solution:
    Similar to gordowebdesign above was to make sure the Camera object hasn't messed up. In my case the Universal Additional Camera Data (Script) had been duplicated on the Camera and the whole object had to be removed and replaced with a new Camera.

11. Schaken06

Schaken06

This worked for me as well. for me my Camera had doubled the "Universal additional camera data" script. and it could not be removed it said, so i just added a new one, and copied all the info except the doubled script, and it was instantly fixed.

ayushdhandhukiya, Epmik and blraj like this.
  12. AlkemyGaming

AlkemyGaming

I found a fix that worked for me, find the duplicated script, click the 3dots, modified component, revert. So glad i got this to work

13. Johane

Johane

Similar worked for me. Go to your main camera and remove the duplicated Universal additional camera data" script.

14. unity_B2E565FADC5F8676E0B7

unity_B2E565FADC5F8676E0B7

Nothing above worked for me even when I opened a new scene a new project inspector was not showing up what I did to fix this was navigate over to the top right on unity and select a layout 2 by 3 or set to default and then like magic I was able to see my inspector again so bizarre.

gamehanish likes this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Bump? Never seen anything like this before. Scene view is gray, but I can see the game through the game view. I can even click on things blocked by the gray screen.

16. codeandsport

codeandsport

When i was just modifying my player my scene view just goes grey when i run the game the cam is working
    i have no errors
    i tried everything above didnt work
    layout thing worked for the 1st time
    it didnt work again

thomskyCan likes this.
  17. MartenCGN

MartenCGN

In my case was the problem that Unity automatically created a "Universal Additional Data" component, after I added a gameobject to my camera. Just remove it!

18. gamehanish

gamehanish

It somehow worked for me too!

19. thomskyCan

thomskyCan

Can the good people of Unity please have a look at this?

some of us are like @codeandsport. the scene view greys out, all input in the game view fails, comntinuous errors (below). mostly have to restart unity to get this to work again.

Also, if you have a large, complex project you can't just remove camera components willy-nilly until something works.

For me it starts to happen when i do a search in the scene hierarchy, then select a scene objet and/or press 'f' to focus on it in the scene view.
    I do not have duplicate t:universaladditionalcameradata on any game object, the ones that are there seem to need to be there.

Errors:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.CopyDepthPass.ExecutePass (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.CopyDepthPass+PassData passData, UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer& cmd, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.CameraData& cameraData, UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandle source, UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandle destination) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/Passes/CopyDepthPass.cs:161)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.CopyDepthPass.Execute (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/Passes/CopyDepthPass.cs:103)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.ExecuteRenderPass (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderPass renderPass, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:1484)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.ExecuteBlock (System.Int32 blockIndex, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer+RenderBlocks& renderBlocks, UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData, System.Boolean submit) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:1440)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.Execute (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:1223)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipeline.RenderSingleCamera (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.CameraData& cameraData, System.Boolean anyPostProcessingEnabled) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/UniversalRenderPipeline.cs:648)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipeline.RenderSingleCameraInternal (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/UniversalRenderPipeline.cs:533)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipeline.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] cameras) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/UniversalRenderPipeline.cs:375)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipeline.InternalRender (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] cameras) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipeline.cs:52)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset pipe, System.IntPtr loopPtr, UnityEngine.Object renderRequest, Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle safety) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:126)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:190)

Assertion failed
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:190)

ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value
    UnityEngine.MaterialPropertyBlock.SetTexture (System.Int32 nameID, UnityEngine.Texture value) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Runtime/Export/Shaders/MaterialPropertyBlock.cs:113)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Blitter.BlitTexture (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd, UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandle source, UnityEngine.Vector4 scaleBias, UnityEngine.Material material, System.Int32 pass) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@14.0.7/Runtime/Utilities/Blitter.cs:238)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Blitter.BlitCameraTexture (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd, UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandle source, UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandle destination, UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderBufferLoadAction loadAction, UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderBufferStoreAction storeAction, UnityEngine.Material material, System.Int32 pass) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@14.0.7/Runtime/Utilities/Blitter.cs:374)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.ColorGradingLutPass.ExecutePass (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.ColorGradingLutPass+PassData passData, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData, UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandle internalLutTarget) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/Passes/ColorGradingLutPass.cs:248)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.ColorGradingLutPass.Execute (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/Passes/ColorGradingLutPass.cs:109)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.ExecuteRenderPass (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderPass renderPass, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:1484)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.ExecuteBlock (System.Int32 blockIndex, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer+RenderBlocks& renderBlocks, UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData, System.Boolean submit) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:1440)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.Execute (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:1216)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipeline.RenderSingleCamera (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.CameraData& cameraData, System.Boolean anyPostProcessingEnabled) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/UniversalRenderPipeline.cs:648)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipeline.RenderSingleCameraInternal (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/UniversalRenderPipeline.cs:533)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipeline.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] cameras) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@14.0.7/Runtime/UniversalRenderPipeline.cs:375)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipeline.InternalRender (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] cameras) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipeline.cs:52)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset pipe, System.IntPtr loopPtr, UnityEngine.Object renderRequest, Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle safety) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:126)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:190)

20. ayushdhandhukiya

ayushdhandhukiya

Thanks you really really thank you

21. Jessethemadman

Jessethemadman

22. legoboss1316

legoboss1316

Thank you