Search Unity

Question Scene turns silver after adding a default volume profile

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by MariusUrbelis, Jun 25, 2020.

1. MariusUrbelis

MariusUrbelis

Unity Technologies

Scene using URP
    URP.png

Scene using HDRP (no default volume profile)
    HDRP.png

The Render Pipeline Wizard prompting to press fix and create a default volume profile
    wizard.png

Scene after pressing the "Fix" button to add the default volume profile
    HDRP-volume.png

What is happening here? How can I fix it?

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

This is most likely due to the HDRI Sky and its Exposure value:

upload_2020-6-25_12-43-42.png

I believe those are roughly the default values in HDRP, but they won't look good in many cases. Or, they probably look bad unless you do everything else the way HDRP expects you to do them.

The "fix" is either to adjust these in the HDRP default settings, or add a global volume to your scene and override the HDRI Sky and Exposure to suit your scene.

3. MariusUrbelis

MariusUrbelis

Unity Technologies

Thanks! I noticed that it fixed itself after I took a walk today..

Maybe the actual issue was that I didn't even have the Sky and Fog Volume from the DefaultSceneRoot prefab added to my scene. So despite the camera not really being affected by any volumes it was still going crazy with the exposure. Removing the Default layer from the Volume Layer Mask on the Camera component fixed it (even though the scene did not contain any volumes that could affect it).

Anyways thanks

4. dgoyette

dgoyette

Well, that's probably not a good long-term "fix". I think you've basically made it so your camera won't use any volumes now, which probably isn't what you want.

The way HDRP works is that there's a Default profile that is used by all scenes, even if you haven't explicitly added a volume to the scene. If the default isn't what you want, you are expected to add your own Volume, with your own profile, and start overriding the values from the default. You can also adjust the defaults if you prefer.

Anyway, I'd recommend undoing that Volume Layer Mask change, and properly setting up a profile. You'll want to be doing that soon anyway to fine-tune the visuals in your scenes.

5. MariusUrbelis

MariusUrbelis

Unity Technologies

Yes, certainly. As I now have the Sky and Fog Volume (volume with Visual Environment and HDRI Sky) in my scene for tweaking it seems to be fine now. I just pointed out the fact that despite not having volumes in the scene the camera still gets affected by something. And I was wondering whether the default layer had some hidden profiles.

Now this clears things up a lot.

Appreciate it.

dgoyette likes this.
  6. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

The actual problem is most likely related to the "Visual Environment" override in your volume (or in the Default HDRP volume in the project settings): your Ambient was set to "Static" rather than "Dynamic". Seeing the entire world looking metallic is due to the ambient light being black because it hasn't been updated yet, while the reflections are correct (and most likely very bright).

It is not an exposure problem.