Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Scene too large error - Unity 2018.2

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Dturk34, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Dturk34

Dturk34

Hey friends,

I have a problem with .unity file. I am trying to open my scene and I getting this error;

" Serialized file size of 6.45 GB (6927467125 bytes) exceeds maximum. File name: Assets/Scene/1.unity. Serialized files over 4.00 GB (4294967295 bytes) cannot be loaded by the player. Some likely ways to reduce this are utilizing asset bundles, re-balancing asset locations, or limiting their serialized size e.g. limiting the maximum texture sizes. "

How can I reduce the scene while I can't open the scene? I need to open the scene. I did work on the scene for weeks.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Hopefully you have a recent backup! I Googled a bit, and didn't see a work around yet.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you can't open the scene, I think you are stuck with reverting changes to the scene file until you're able to open it.

4. Dturk34

Dturk34

I didn't, I just backup code files. Me too, but I don't find anything. Actually, this is a bug. If I can't open the large scenes, the Editor needs to stop me while saving the scene. I hope someone helps me with this problem. This is so bad. We are working on MMO project and we will launch the game after 10 days on Steam.

5. Dturk34

Dturk34

I did save the scene and quit Unity. When I open the project again, the scene not open.

EDIT: If I try to open the scene, Unity getting an empty scene with the same name and send me an error like in the first post.

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, you'll need to use a back up (if you have one, if not, time to start making them!)

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Generally with any software development project you should be using version control (Git, svn, etc). This is standard practice across the entire software industry, not just game development, and your situation shows why it is done.

Typically you would then just use your version control to roll back your scene file to the last working version (which shouldn't be more than a day at worst old, but more likely just a few hours) and be back on your feet.

Alternatively you could make daily backups of the entire project folder. Not as nice as version control of course, but in your situation you would just lose a day of work or less.

If you're only backing up your code, then you don't have backups of your scene files at all. That is just reckless, and something disastrous was bound to happen at some point.

8. Dturk34

Dturk34

Yes, we did try the collab system. The system slowing us, because project files almost 110gb and Unity control the files all the time when start. This action takes almost 3 hours. And yes we did try other git systems(including git lfs) but it does not work because the file size is too big for these systems. We lost almost 2 months to try these systems. Whatever, I got it there is no solution to this problem. Thanks anyway for interest.

9. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

For a project that large, you absolutely must have some sort of version control, or at the very least a file backup. Copying and pasting the project onto an external hard drive at the end of the day is better than nothing.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

My suggestion is to set up your own small linux box, throw in a couple 1TB drives in RAID1, and set up an SVN server. Use dynamic DNS for remote access if you're using typical consumer grade internet with a dynamic IP address.

(I know SVN isn't the flavor of the week as far as version control is concerned, but it is one of the easiest for people to understand how to use, and it is really only weak against Git if you have developers with intermittent network access or do a lot of branching/merging)

11. Dturk34

Dturk34

I am doing backing files like code, animation, animator controller, some texture folder but I didn't the scene. This problem is unpredictable. If I am trying the dangerous jobs, I am always copying scene files before the action, but this time I did just place objects to the scene. I faced some error like this about texture on the standalone build but this is ridiculous... If you will block me while trying to open +4gb scene, why you do not block me while saving the scene? If the editor did say anything about this, I was I can reduce the data but I can't now.

12. colin_young

colin_young

That doesn't really address the underlying issue, which is why does Unity allow the user to save a file that it isn't going to be able to open? And it's not like Unity makes it convenient to use version control. When you're dealing with ridiculously large files (on the order of GB) for fairly simple scenes it starts to impact the storage and performance of your SCM system.

As an example, a project I'm working with (named along the lines of "{something something ...} Test Demo") suddenly went from I can open the scene I'm using (named "SampleScene"), to "file too large" at 5.83GB with a simple edit. I literally changed the value of one or two properties on a very simple MonoBehavior (an authoring component for ECS which tells you how simple the class is) and now my scene is 1.83GB larger? And you're not going to warn me when saving that I won't be able to open it ever again?

Fortunately for me you can probably guess from the file and scene names just how critical this project is, but it should be a clue that there's something wrong when you can make a reasonable case that it would be easier to recreate your scene from scratch than dealing with SCM.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.