Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Scene Templates - Preview now available for feedback!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by willgoldstone, Nov 15, 2019.

1. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey all,

We now have a Preview package available for you to download of our new Scene Templates feature. In future, this will be built-in to Unity, but for now whilst we're iterating, we provide it as a package. We would love your feedback on the feature, it's UX, functionality and any kind of use cases you foresee. For us it means we can give you well setup template scenes with our project templates going forward, and we hope that for you, it means you can template-ify all your commonly used content that you wish to instance and prototype with often.

To try this out, you will need 2 things -

1. The Scene Templates package from the Package Manager (make sure to show Preview packages) - now available, and will be updated there until we roll it back into the Editor codebase itself.

2. Unity 2020.1 Alpha 12 or higher (available in the Unity Hub).

Watch this video for an overview of the feature and how it works. As noted in the video, we will follow up with information on the scripting aspect of the feature soon.

Looking forward to your feedback on this feature below, thanks for your help to all of those we've consulted so far :)

Will

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  2. whilefun

whilefun

The first thing that struck me with this proposed workflow is the worry of file clutter. The main thing that is bothersome is the creation of a scene file AND folder for the scene template. Is it possible to put everything for the template (scene file, all related cloned files) into a single self-contained folder? When viewing this in "smali icon" explorer view, I am concerned it may not scale well, and deleting scene files and folders will not be clean and efficicient at scale.

The other thing I really *really* want, is a default scene template across a given Unity version. So for 2020.1f1 let's say, I want to have a default prototyping scene template that is placed into ALL new Unity 2020.1f1 projects from a common source, similar to how we can edit default script templates today. The opening part of the preview video where you have to start with the URP file clutter, and figure out which things to delete is exactly what I want to avoid. I want to be able to create a frictionless rapid prototyping environment where there are as few items and button clicks in the way as humanly possible. As it stands, Unity is becoming harder to use in a quick and flexible way, which I find adds friction and is slowly pushing me away from using it as my goto prototyping tool.

Thanks for considering the community's feedback. It is appreciated! :)

willgoldstone likes this.
  3. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

hey thanks for the reply! So to your points -

1. not too sure I agree on the clutter aspect - well I agree there is clearly potential for clutter I’m not sure I agree about putting it all into a single folder, I worry it’s more preference so will wait and hear from others on this but I take your point totally.

2. yes so the vision here is that we won’t have that clutter in future at all. In our project templates we will just have some simple scenes with good looking environment settings setup for you, so you won’t be doing anything like what you saw me do - sorry if that was misleading. Additionally I agree that’s what I want you to do with this feature, my thinking was that you would use one of our project templates then create your own scene templates for a version and then save your own project template out for your own use. The latter feature is something we wanna work on next, our first step towards that - removing project templates from the editor install is already shipping soon. If you read about ‘dynamic templates’ then that is what is meant.
    So the intended future workflow is - I) install unity, II) make a new project with one of our project templates and add some scene templates of your own (you might already have these saved as a new package format, authoring for this is being added too) and then iii) save as a project template. iv) use your project template you made for prototyping.

alternatively you could simply keep your scene templates in a package you bring in each time to the provided project templates - whatever way around feels sensible to you, hopefully the former as we want you to have your project template in the hub and get it ready in one click.

let me know what you think! And thanks again.

4. CodeMonkeyYT

CodeMonkeyYT

Interesting feature, having a global pool of templates would be really useful for quickly starting new projects.
    I can see the Create Additive being extremely useful for quickly adding modular elements onto a scene.

When I make my videos the first thing I do is simply Copy Paste my Base Project Folder. Then I open it up and remove the unnecessary things (for that video) from the base scene and if I need something extra like a Highscore Table I have to go into that other scene, copy the transform and paste in my base scene.

This would be really useful to just open up a empty scene then Add my Player Shooting template then a Highscore Table template, a Pathfinding template, etc.

jonathans42 and willgoldstone like this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Will,

thanks for giving us an option to provide some feedback.

Functionality to exclude template assets from "Select asset" windows

As template assets probably shouldn't be used in other parts of the project, I imagine it would be useful to be able to exclude these template assets (and probably cloned assets) from Unity's various "Select asset" windows.

For example if you have a template material, I don't want it to appear in the "Select Material" window, if you click that round-button next to a Material field. Much like this feedback.

Allowing us to mark what assets we want to hide from these selection windows would help.

Unclear asset names
    If you create several new scenes based off a template, you end up with potentially a lot of assets with the same name.

Following your preview video, if you create three scenes from this template, you would end up with three "Cube" prefabs, one in each scene folder.

"Cube" then becomes unclear, because you can't derive from the name where it belongs to. Sure it's in the path, but the "Select Prefab" dialog doesn't show the full path unless you select the asset. This makes it enormously cumbersome to search for these assets and find the correct one that should be used in a particular scene.

These assets could be renamed to "MyNewScene-Cube".prefab for example, just to give you an idea how to make it more clear where it belongs to.

6. vertxxyz

vertxxyz

I can imagine using this a lot around film production specifically. I'm glad it has some scripting extensiblity built in too.

It would be useful if instead of just having the cloning option, you could choose to create variants from the source template.
    Which leads on to a massive workflow thing I've been pondering for a while, why don't other asset types have the ability to create variants?
    It would make sense to me to be able to have a base scene with post-processing set up and be able to tweak that at any time and have that propagate selectively (avoiding overrides). Not to mention similar workflow enhancements with custom Scriptable Object types. That's all probably way out of the scope of this feature, but hopefully doing that with prefabs makes enough sense.

7. sebastienp_unity

sebastienp_unity

Unity Technologies

Just to let you know guys that Scene Template is now officially a preview package and can be fetched using the Package Manager from Unity 2020.1a12:

upload_2019-11-18_13-4-13.png

8. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey Peter

As always, great feedback. So regarding the exclusion - how would you feel about us using the Labels system in Unity to assign labels to any assets used in a Template as soon as you assign the scene to a Scene template asset? Then if we set the pickers to ignore template assets (anything with said label), would that suit?

Second - the unclear names - I don't want to presume everyone needs that so how about a checkbox on the Asset which says 'append scene name to cloned assets' or something like that? such that it would then do that job for you? seems like something I would set to off by default maybe but it sounds like you'd use it.. thoughts?

Cheers again!

9. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey whilefun,

Regarding 'all in one folder' - I'm unsure - I sort of get it, but I like the cleanliness of the scene outside of it - and the one less click to go into it and open the scene.. but I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about this.

Re 'a default scene per editor' so basically you'd GET that once we start using this feature in the Project templates. So there won't be any clearing out of junk in future, it'll all be setup with scene templates, and you will just be able to go File > New and start from there - maybe we make an 'example' scene, but otherwise the required assets would be in the templates folders.

So you can imagine going into the Universal RP template and you'd see -

Assets
    -ExampleScene (1 folder you can nuke easily, and in future we give you option to include or not)
    -Templates
    -Shared (this contains the render pipeline stuff)
    -Template1
    -Template2

Thoughts?

10. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@willgoldstone On the project structure above I'm confused about what's inside the Templates folder. Wouldn't that be Template1, Template2, etc?

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Will,

thanks for your reply.

That sounds like a slick approach. I would appreciate if I can also use this label system to ignore any asset I like, not only template assets.

Sounds good too!

12. whilefun

whilefun

Thanks Will! Regarding the template folder:

Would it always be included in all projects, even if I don't use all the template scenes? My impression from quoted above is that if I start a new URP project, I would get the whole Templates folder regardless of if I used Template1 or Template2?

The main through line of my concern is project structure bloat and duplication of files (and/or risk of "change once effect everywhere" if not duplicated), and the crisp choice for each decision point what that implies for these vectors of file creation and management.

I also presume only used templates (and their resources) are only included in builds if they are used in the project?

13. whilefun

whilefun

The workflow steps outlined above (I-IV) sound great! Thanks for clarifying and listening to our feedback :)

14. andybak

andybak

Is there support for "templates as packages"?

i.e. specifically storing them outside of Assets.

For those of us who mainly see templates as being cross-project rather than project specific that would be a huge win.

1. Adding templates to a project becomes as simple as pasting a repo url into package manager (or even just ticking a box if you've set up a custom package repo)

2. Much less version control noise. For me the biggest win with custom package manager packages is that it clearly separates stuff I'm using and modifying in a project from "read-only dependencies for this project". The latter don't need to be in my repo.

Peter77 likes this.
  15. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

This is exactly what I do when starting new game, copy/paste my template project...

The only drawback I see here, is when new Unity version appears, I have to load my template in one Unity instance, and then create new default project in another Unity instance, so I can compare all the differences in preferences and project settings, and wherever else it may happen. Because, with every new Unity version, there are some new defaults they introduce - like, for example, new Asset Import Pipeline going on as default from v2019.3. So if you want to stay current, with every new Unity version, you have to go through this tedious task of making your template settings current

16. sebastienp_unity

sebastienp_unity

Unity Technologies

Good question! The scene template can be both in project (under Assets/) OR in a package. The Scene template package itself contains 2-3 templates that are used for unit testing.

Using Package containing templates would indeed be the best way to share templates between packages. Also, the current Unity managed packages (SRP/URP/HDRP) are planning on shipping with specific templates that are already setup for the Render Platform workflows.

17. sebastienp_unity

sebastienp_unity

Unity Technologies

Could you use a package to store the assets you want to be common with multiple projects? Scene template are supported inside templates.

18. sebastienp_unity

sebastienp_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi guys,

Scene Template 1.0.0.preview.7 is now live (at you current Package Manager). You need an alpha copy of Unity 20.1.

Changelog:
    • [UX-API] Allow SceneTemplatePipeline to filter out its bound template according to a set of condition.
    • [UX] Add a toggle in dependency header to batch clone/reference all dependencies.

Allow me to explain what is the SceneTemplatePipeline: basically you attach a script to (not a Monobehavior) to a SceneTemplate. Your script can override any of the following function:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public interface ISceneTemplatePipeline
    2. {
    3.     // Decide if the template should be shown in the New Scene Dialog
    4.     bool IsValidTemplateForInstantiation(SceneTemplateAsset sceneTemplateAsset);
    5.     void BeforeTemplateInstantiation(SceneTemplateAsset sceneTemplateAsset, bool isAdditive, string sceneName);
    6.     void AfterTemplateInstantiation(SceneTemplateAsset sceneTemplateAsset, Scene scene, bool isAdditive, string sceneName);
    7. }
    Using the API you can control if a scene template should be shown in the New Scene Dialog or what happens before or after this particular template instantiation (thus allowing you to generate content in the newly instantiated scene).

19. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey all, working on the design we are wondering about the value of 'Load Additive' - how much do you need it / would you use it? and what for? I had imagined I have a second scene with say a lighting rig for example... keen to hear your ideas..

20. spaceemotion

spaceemotion

We're still at the start of the project, but with nested prefabs, sub-scenes and ECS (which means a flat hierarchy) there's barely a need for more than one main scene in our case. The only ones we can think of right now are: main menu, ingame, credits and such. Using scenes instead of prefabs also make lighting settings kinda hard (but i heard you're working on a unified solution or something similar in that regard.

21. whilefun

whilefun

Can you elaborate on what the work flow would be for this? The idea of having a template scene and loading in an additive lighting rig seems to makes sense, rather than copying your lighting rig into the template. Though perhaps just putting a lighting rig prefab into the template scene would work just as well.

22. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Sorry for late reply - to elaborate the idea here is that we would just give you a checkbox for load additive (in the new UI we are working on now) and you would put your lighting rig in that example into a scene, and just use cmd-n - but ultimately its just an alternative to duplicating - so what you're getting here is 'I'm avoiding having to duplicating my lighting rig scene because if I made a new scene then loaded it normally (read: opened that scene additively) alongside my level, any edits would of course be destructive. So you're able to use the File > New > check additive to bring in and duplicate additional scenes you might want.

23. fherbst

fherbst

Could you clarify the wording and usage of "Scene Templates" vs. "Project Templates"?
    (I'd honestly be much more interested in the latter, e.g. "how to I get new templates into the 'New Project' section without hacking around in each Editor installation".)

24. Baste

Baste

This looks really useful. Having a post-process script in there is really great. For World to the West, setting up a scene right (ie. you can go into play mode and it loads all the things that needs to be loaded) meant putting a "level" prefab into the scene; being able to just do that automatically would have helped a lot.

For our current game, the "empty" scene would be really great, because all of our additive scenes should not have lights or cameras.

So, yeah, seems like a great feature.

I don't really see us using the clone feature - if I'm making an underground level, it should for sure have the same post processing asset as the other underground levels. The alternative is that we have to change 100 pp assets if we want to change how the underground scenes looks. The same goes for all the other assets in there. We're very used to assets being shared across scenes, so I don't understand why you think it's an important feature that they're not. It has the potential to clutter our Assets folder and bloat our project size by a lot.

I mean, by all means leave it in, just make sure that when we untoggle all those checkboxes, you don't make an empty folder for the 0 clones we want.

As I believe somebody said upthread, it'd be great if you could make project templates as well. It's always annoying to have to delete a tutorial folder whenever I want an URP project for a bug report or a jam or whatever. That'll involve the Hub, which... well, it doesn't have the best track-record on quality or listening to user feedback or anything, really, but hey, maybe you'll be lucky with project templates.

willgoldstone and fherbst like this.
  25. whilefun

whilefun

This seems to make sense to me! Thanks Will :)

26. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Thanks as always Baste, great feedback. Yes to project templates, working on reconfiguring how these are made today to make that happen.

27. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone here's an update on Scene Templates!

28. andybak

andybak

@willgoldstone Thanks - but it would be fab next time if you could write a couple of sentences for those of us that don't want to watch a 10 minute video. :)

For me text > speech...

29. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

A little update on this feature. It will be in a package still for 20.1 and in mainline Unity 20.2, looking forward to more feedback as it rolls out. Thanks for all of you that reached out about this and related features both here and directly, thanks!

30. leafspring

leafspring

Sorry for waking a kinda dormant thread but this Scene Template feature is exactly what I'm looking for at the moment and I was excited to see there's a preview package but I can't find it anywhere.

Did you guys pull it from the Package Manager or am I just too blind to see it?
    (Preview Packages is enabled)

31. fherbst

fherbst

@leafspring it's "just there" in 2020.2+ (built-in, no need to install something), @willgoldstone mentioned it's a package in 2020.1 but I haven't tried it out there, so don't know the package name to add.

32. mgear

mgear

tested it once.. not likely to have much use for it myself, so:
    - File/New (i'd prefer this creates new empty scene), and File/New Scene From Template. (or something). would be separate menu item
    - Or optionally, if i can disable this package or feature from all unity installs, i'd be fine with that - just want quick 1-click-create-empty-scene..

33. Baste

Baste

I don't quite like the new behavior of ctrl+n. I like the scene templates, but it's a bit annoying that I get a popup-menu I have to use my mouse to interact with. I can turn the feature off completely in the scene template menu, but that just reverts to doing the builtin scene, which I don't want.

A better solution would be if you had two different shortcuts:
    - Shortcut A opens the new scene dialogue
    - Shortcut B just creates a new scene. Which scene template is used here could be set in the Scene template menu.

So then we get to have the old, quick way of doing "give me a new scene I can use", with the added bonus of being able to have some default assets in there. We also get to have a menu in those instances where we need something different.

SceneTemplatePipeline is really cool! I don't need it now so I haven't tested it, but it seems like it's the correct thing.

The clone feature is really annoying, since if you have any assets marked as "clone", you'll need to both save the scene, and get a folder next to the scene, both of which are annoying. We can luckily just remove all of the checkmarks under "clone" in the scene template menu. I don't quite understand why the feature is there, and who it is for, since you can solve the same thing if you really need it with the SceneTemplatePipeline stuff.

whilefun likes this.
  34. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Found this thread because i forgot how to turn off this dialogue, there was an option for it right? I just want the old behaviour where i could press Ctrl-N to create a new scene, and i wouldnt have to click anything.

35. Baste

Baste

TJHeuvel-net likes this.