Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Scene Picking

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by DoctorShinobi, Jul 23, 2019.

1. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

Hey! I'd like to make a suggestion regarding the new scene picking toggle feature.

In the past few Unity releases the Hierarchy has been getting less and less free horizontal space. It started with Game Objects getting icons in 2018.3, then the new "scene visibility" toggle in 2019.1, and now the "scene picking" toggle.
    In simple scenes this isn't too critical, but that horizontal space matters when you have deep Game Objects hierarchies or long names.
    upload_2019-7-23_15-2-48.png

As you can see, the less free space we get the sooner we reach a point where we have to increase the size of the Hierarchy window(which comes at the cost of another window's space).

What I'd like to suggest: Combine both "scene visibility" and "scene picking" toggles into one smart toggle. That toggle could work like the "static" toggle in the inspector window, which allows you to select static configurations for different parts of the engine(rendering static, navmesh static, etc...). That way the new scene picking feature doesn't take any more space. Furthermore, this is a scalable solution that could be used to add more configuration options in the future.

Thanks for reading my suggestion!

Grizmu and gabrielw_unity like this.
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Dr! :)

Yep, it's a problem we are aware of - and it's going to get worse when we add Wireframe, Lock, Grouping, Source Control Status, ... and let's not forget all the custom icons from asset store devs.

So we all want to make use of the Hierarchy (it's a good place to put info and controls), but not everyone needs all the thing, and even those who do want everything, don't want to see it all the time ... so we're also looking into a "configurable, collapsible" hierarchy, or something like this. That, or something similar, will happen before we add any more columns.

These columns have been added for now, because they were identified as must-haves by quite a bit of research and testing, and making them wait for the full configurable/collapsible solution would have delayed them past 2019LTS.

I hope that helps? :) Thanks for your feedback!

DoctorShinobi likes this.
  3. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

Thank you very much for responding, I appreciate knowing my feedback was delivered.
    What you're saying makes sense and I'm glad to know Unity is aware of this Issue. I'm sure taking your time will result in the best UX solution.

gabrielw_unity and Singtaa like this.
  4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Good to hear! 2020 feels a long way off, but we've been building up a solid foundation and should finally be able to start shipping major artists tools and enhancements :) Exciting!!