Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question scene pausing because of nullref error

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by puddleglum, Sep 25, 2021.

1. puddleglum

puddleglum

my code is spoty at best and i know this but i have never had this happen before. basicly i have a pressure plate that alters the players stats. however the player object can move from object to object so i have to put a function in the script to find the player. for a single update after the presure plate is pushed, the player variable is null. normaly i would ignore it but it is infinitly pausing the scene, when i try to unpause it repauses within an update. im very confused

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Unfortunately none of that matters for a null reference.

The answer is always the same... ALWAYS. It is the single most common error ever.

Don't waste your life spinning around and round on this error. Instead, learn how to fix it fast... it's EASY!!

Some notes on how to fix a NullReferenceException error in Unity3D
    - also known as: Unassigned Reference Exception
    - also known as: Missing Reference Exception
    - also known as: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

http://plbm.com/?p=221

The basic steps outlined above are:
    - Identify what is null
    - Identify why it is null
    - Fix that.

Expect to see this error a LOT. It's easily the most common thing to do when working. Learn how to fix it rapidly. It's easy. See the above link for more tips.

You need to figure out HOW that variable is supposed to get its initial value. There are many ways in Unity. In order of likelihood, it might be ONE of the following:

- drag it in using the inspector
    - code inside this script initializes it
    - some OTHER external code initializes it
    - ? something else?

This is the kind of mindset and thinking process you need to bring to this problem:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/why-do-my-music-ignore-the-sliders.993849/#post-6453695

Step by step, break it down, find the problem.

Here is a clean analogy of the actual underlying problem of a null reference exception:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/nul...n-instance-of-an-object.1108865/#post-7137032

3. puddleglum

puddleglum

well i know why its null and its not a big deal in the game cause it only lasts one update, but its pausing the game for some reasonw which is really annoying and idk why
    im gonna debug more and see if i can find anything

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Oh, my bad! I misunderstood the point of your question. Look in your console window for something like this!

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 8.15.34 PM.png

Right-most button should NOT be on (the above will cause a pause on errors).

Chaplinchap likes this.
  5. puddleglum

puddleglum

wow im probobly the stoopidest person on the planet thank you xD sorry

Kurt-Dekker likes this.