Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Scene not syncing despite all assets syncing properly

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by hobostew, Mar 10, 2017.

1. hobostew

hobostew

I have 2 machines that are syncing properly with Collaborate, and one that is not. They are all running 5.5.0x1 on win10. The one that isn't syncing properly just installed a fresh download, and its getting all the data, but the scene info isn't there and looks/plays like a default project. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe there's some way to force it to update? I tried Reload on Collaborate History but that didn't do anything. It thinks its up to date.

Here's how the proper scene looks:
    upload_2017-3-10_11-31-28.png

and here's the broken one:
    upload_2017-3-10_11-31-50.png

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @hobostew! That is very bizarre that only one of your machines isn't getting the whole scene. Did you try to redownload the whole project on that machine with the missing scene file to see if it gets the complete project? Have you tried making a small change to your scene and pushing it to see if the machine with the missing scene will pull the whole file along with the new change?

3. hobostew

hobostew

Thank you for the response. I have tried the latter (it worked) but not the former. As I said it was a fresh install of Unity and the project so I am dubious that it will help but I will give it a shot. I will also restart the machine which I haven't done yet.

4. hobostew

hobostew

Clean re-download and reboot did not solve the problem. Cue sad trombone. Any other ideas?

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm a little confused. Did you say that making a small change to the scene worked with letting you pull the whole scene file that you were missing? I'm guessing I'm reading that wrong since you said that none of those fixed your problem.

As a former trombone player, I know that feeling all too well. :p

OK, let's use the Collab History window to try and restore your project with the missing scene file contents to the actual version on the server. On your machine that is the odd one out, ie. missing the scene contents, try making an inconsequential change (like adding an empty folder) so that you have a local change. Then open the Collab History window, either from the Collab Toolbar or from the Window menu. You should see your latest commit at the top with a Restore button under it. Click Restore and check if that reverts your project to the working version.

6. hobostew

hobostew

Sorry, when I said it worked I meant the file I changed updated on the broken client but did not fix the scene problem.

I tried your idea - I created a new folder and published it. It showed up on my other machine (they are currently side by side so its easy to test), then I rolled back to my previous version - no luck. Restoring to head rev even popped up a message saying something like "this will undo local changes" which got me a little excited but it still refuses to update the scene. As before, all the assets are in the proper place but the scene is in the default state.

7. hobostew

hobostew

OK I decided to say screw it and manually copied over the whole project onto the broken machine, and now its working fine. Not sure why the sync wasn't working but at least I off and running! Let me know if you want to follow up at all to root out the cause.

8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm glad to hear that you got yourself unblocked! DM me your UPID when you get the chance so that we can try to investigate what happened on our end. We'll be sure to reach out if we need any more details. Let us know if you run into any more issues.

9. Eff4life

Eff4life

I've got the same problem and its odd because its the third collab I am doing and for some reason this time it just wont sync. I received everything but my scene comes as the default with nothing in it. I would need to actually drag all the assets and place them manually which is completely besides the point of what the sync is supposed to do.

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Eff4life! There's definitely something wrong there. Can you try getting in touch with our Support team here so that they can help diagnose the problem?

11. Dougomite

Dougomite

Just wanted to pop in and say I was having the same problem when using Collaborate with Unity 2017.3.0f3. I ended up just renaming the scene, then setting the name back and it was picked up as a new file and things went back to normal.

12. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Dougomite! Thank you for letting us know about your workaround. We've included some fixes in 2017.4 and 2018.1 that should remove the need to rename your scene to have Collab detect your scene changes. Please let us know if you are still running into this issue whenever you're able to update to either of those versions.

13. SoaringCastles

SoaringCastles

I'm seeing the same issue on 2018.2.10f1, All the assets sync over, but the scene doesn't seem to show up in the editor. Renaming and creating a brand new project do not help at all.

However... interestingly if I 'build' it shows the old scene's name in the checkbox in the build dialog. If I run the build, it -IS- the correct scene. It's just not showing up in hierarchy or scene views (they are identical to a screenshot someone posted earlier.) . Any new advice on this - this is a blocker for me using collab.

14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @nshaffner! Would you be willing to give our 2018.3 beta package a try to see if it resolves these scene sync issues for you? Try it on a copy of your project in case your project doesn't upgrade cleanly to the new version. You can learn more about our beta package here.

15. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

@nshaffner Is the scene not showing up if you find the scene file in your project browser and double click on it? Or is it absent even from the project browser?

16. SoaringCastles

SoaringCastles

@ryanc-unity - I tried the same thing with 2018.3.0b4 and got identical results.

@Kyuugatsu - If I find the scene in the project and double click on it, the original scene *does* appear. Thats a good work around for now - Thanks!

I guess the UI's current scene state isn't getting set after sync. For reference again, I created the basic '3D Scene With Extras' on Machine A, and when I did the initial sync to Machine B it looks like:

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 1.59.31 PM.png
    It looks like the all the data is probably there, and the Inspector's state seems to have been sync'd correctly.

Anyways, thanks for the support guys!

Nick

rafaelfixe123 likes this.