Search Unity

Feedback Scene Metadata

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dzamani, Jun 20, 2019.

1. dzamani

dzamani

Hi,

I will try to explain I would want to have and why the current solutions aren't great for that.
    So let's say:
    • I want data that any scene in project should have.
    • Each pair of data/scene should be accessible during runtime and editor time meaning that we can't have auto register script or things like that.
    • We can have additive scenes so from a specific Scene object I should be able to find the associated Metadata.
    • No FindGameobjectByTag or similar methods.
    • No direct load for a SO with a specific name (don't want the system to break because it's not in the right Resources folder or if the name has a typo)
    So based on all this, would Unity think about a solution for this issue or it's too much to handle based on the current Editor design ? Something like Scene.Metadata where Metadata is a SO that you can assign would work for example (I know it's not as easy as just adding a new field the scene class).

As a comparison, DOTS would soon have a solution for that since scenes are entities and I could attach a component to it, it's just missing serialization at this point in order to have that handled.

Thanks!