Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Scene Load speed increase.

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by bog-imp, May 2, 2019.

1. bog-imp

bog-imp

Hello,
    In the current project I switch to Addressables (v.0.7.5 and Unity 2018.3.10f1) and I found that Addressables.LoadScene is slower than SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync sometimes,
    some scene load time increased from 4s to 8s on Switch platform.

Do you know what I am doing wrong? Right now all load from local.

Thank you.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. unity_bill

unity_bill

Between those two options, where is the scene? In a bundle? In the scenes list? In the scenes list for the latter case, but in a bundle (standard addressable setup) for the former?

3. bog-imp

bog-imp

Hello Bill yes I tried a few options,
    - In a bundle,
    - In Scene List,
    - One Scene One bundle with duplicates

It's Possible the problem in slow reading due console crypto or file access time.
    Also is there will be option for preload all asset into memory?

4. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Can confirm this. Using addressables for scene loading on switch is remarkably slower than using built-in scene manager. Please clarify on this issue.

5. bog-imp

bog-imp

Yes, last time when i try it was like that.
    I can do another new tests.
    Please give instruction what Unity and Library better to use.

6. unity_bill

unity_bill

We'll look into this, but I want to add some info for you as well.

While I believe there are time differences between your experiments, describing it as SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync vs Addressables isn't quite accurate. When we load scenes, that's the method we call.

If you are using SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync, you can do that either by loading directly from the editor build scenes list (the list you edit by opening Build Settings), or by loading from asset bundles. If you are using Addressables as an abstraction layer, you can do the same things (Addressables can load from the editor build scenes list).

I'm guessing if you are getting a large delta, it is because your baseline is SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync + scenes list, and your compare is Addressables + AssetBundles. It's possible this is unavoidable, in which case the only solution is to stick with the scenes list. I can however think of two things we can look at to try to help. One is providing a PreloadDependencies interface that loads the AssetBundle object. These are very small, and shouldn't affect timing, but might. Second is for us to check on how we compress. If those bundles are aggressively compressed, that could affect load times.