Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Scene is too dark using HDRI skies

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by EduAlvarado, Nov 5, 2020.

1. EduAlvarado

EduAlvarado

Hello everyone,

I do not know why, when adding a HDRI Volume to my scene, I cannot increase the amount of illumination. It is way too dark.

Am I missing something? Increasing the exposure makes the environment brighter, but the terrain much darker.

Thank you!

2. DGordon

DGordon

It _sounds_ like you have auto exposure on in post processing, and when you increase the brightness of your sky, its so much brighter than the ground that when the entire screen is darkened to get the sky to the right brightness the terrain becomes too dark.

I'm just guessing though.

3. EduAlvarado

EduAlvarado

Thank you for your answer! I do not find the place where I can check if auto-exposure is on for post-processing. Where it is?

I realized that in the Lighting configuration, I have no volume profile.

Is it normal?

4. DGordon

DGordon

If its what I'm guessing, then its because you don't have any other post processing effects added. The default HDRP setup has them split into two volume gameobjects (but thats arbitrary, you can have them all in one if you wanted). Here is an example of what I meant ... add the Exposure effect to your volume and play with it. If you dont have that, the default is Auto Exposure, and can have the behavior you described if you aren't using physically correct lighting values (or have tweaked your lights etc to all balance out even if not physically correct). In my screenshot I have it set to Fixed, just because for my project I don't care enough right now to get that working right. Try playing around with that and seeing if it helps at all.

Attached Files: