Search Unity

Scene instances losing serialized references.

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by pushxtonotdie, Sep 20, 2019.

1. pushxtonotdie

pushxtonotdie

Hello, I have finally been able to track down the long-standing reference issue that has been plaguing us. Repro has been sent as case number 1154829

First import a prefab but not the code. Then import the code. The serialized references in the scene instances of ChildPrefab do not update. They will be broken, even upon restart. They can be fixed by reimporting the prefab, or by saving the prefab.

This is extremely problematic and has plagued us for MONTHS. A general scenario is that our artists will update their svn checkout (which contains only the assets) and then do the git checkout (which contains the code). If the artist refreshes before doing the code checkout this breaks things, and usually we have to resort to a reimport all. We usually just reimport all because having an engineer determine what needs to be reimported in our large projects is a waste of resources.

Currently our workaround is to make sure that code is imported first. This is the best we can do until this bug is fixed. But ideally unity would not get 'stuck' in an incorrect state when you refresh assets!

NeatWolf likes this.
  2. runevision

runevision

That sounds promising, but can you please double-check the case number? The one posted (1154829) is an unrelated case posted back in May that has nothing to do with Prefabs. Thanks!

3. pushxtonotdie

pushxtonotdie

Lol, I'm sorry, that's a coworker's bug. :)

The correct case number is 1185524

4. pushxtonotdie

pushxtonotdie

Hey @runevision , i was curious if you've had an opportunity to look at this issue. I had it happen today due to a coworker not committing everything by accident, and I had to go through and Reimport a couple things. We would love to have this fixed.

5. runevision

runevision

We've received the bug report and will look at it in time. We're a tiny team and the person who's looked the most into these things is currently on leave, but we'll get to it eventually.

6. pushxtonotdie

pushxtonotdie

Thanks Rune! Understandable. I did get a response that your QA has been able to repro. Appreciate you responding!