Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Scene depth doesn't work in HDRP?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Roggi_, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Roggi_

Roggi_

Hi, this is driving me crazy. If you make an empty pbr graph and just connect the scene depth note to alpha, set the render mode to transparent, the shader only works in LWRP. It's completly broken in HDRP. And it has been for several months. Is there really no way for me to use depth buffer in the shader graph?

2. konsic

konsic

I need this too.

3. iamarugin

iamarugin

What is the version of HDRP? What is the version of unity?
    Scene depth works for me.

4. Roggi_

Roggi_

I had the same issues on several machines, several versions of unity and hdrp over the course of several month, checking each time if it's fixed. Most recently, 2019.2.10 unity and 6.9.2 hdrp.
    What versions work for you?

5. iamarugin

iamarugin

Ok, turns out it works only for Unlit in HDRP 7.1.2 for me. Did you open the case?

6. frances_farmer

frances_farmer

Broken for me also in the most recent version of HDRP. I will log a bug report when I get home later.

7. texcoord3

texcoord3

also broken for me, still.

8. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

Any chance that you guys use keywords in your shader graphs?
    If so, then that's the reason why.
    Keywords are still super buggy and break many shader features like scene depth/color, transmission and depth-offset (for parallax mapping).

9. texcoord3

texcoord3

That's definitely possible - I ended up getting it to work but I don't know how unfortunately.

10. Roggi_

Roggi_

No keywords used in the shader. I reported the issue and it was confirmed that it's broken.

11. Lute-Li

Lute-Li

I always thought it was a problem with the HDRP settings. I searched on the Internet for a whole day and still couldn't find the answer. I didn't know until I saw this now that HDRP settings can't solve this problem.

12. frances_farmer

frances_farmer

Do we know if this is fixed now that HDRP is released?

13. Roggi_

Roggi_

14. antoinel_unity

antoinel_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

I just tried to repro and it seems that it's working as expected for me, here's what i did:
    - Create a new PBR shader graph
    - Switch the graph to transparent
    - Add a scene depth node in Eye space with a fraction and set the albedo to red like so:
    upload_2020-1-30_18-52-56.png
    - Then i created a material from this graph and assigned it to a quad in my scene:
    SceneDepth.gif

As you can see, the alpha of the quad is affected with the depth of objects behind it.

Attached Files:

Leniaal and konsic like this.
  15. Roggi_

Roggi_

Ineed you are right, it's working in HDRP 7+. Not sure how I managed to not get it to work when i tested it 2 days ago.

Would you happen to know how to use that depth to make an intersection highlight effect with other meshes?

16. antoinel_unity

antoinel_unity

Unity Technologies

Yeah sure, the main idea is to compare the view space position of your object with the depth of the scene in eye space, but there is a catch: the actual z component of the position in view space is negative so to compare it to the scene depth you just have to add both values like this:
    upload_2020-2-3_11-13-5.png
    And it will result in something like this:
    upload_2020-2-3_11-15-0.png

valarnur, lilacsky824 and Roggi_ like this.
  17. Roggi_

Roggi_

Thanks so much!

antoinel_unity likes this.
  18. frances_farmer

frances_farmer

Very cool, glad to see it is working now.

19. Olmi

Olmi

Does this work on HDRP 7.3.1? I couldn't get Antoinel's example to function. Is there something specific in addition to the graph that needs to be configured in a special way in Pipeline Asset or such?

20. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

Also double check that the material you are using is not overriding the surface type you've set in the master node.

Olmi likes this.
  21. Olmi

Olmi

That did it. Thanks @Remy_Unity. Somehow I forgot to check that even though I should be aware of it...

22. transporter_gate_studios

transporter_gate_studios

The Scene Depth node only works intermittenly for me. I have brand new shaders that i put it in and it works... make a few changes in shader graph and bam... stops working. I even connect the output of the scene depth directly to the albedo and nothing... no data. Create a new material.. works again.

23. OneManEscapePlan

OneManEscapePlan

Do you need to wait for the shader to recompile? That's tripped me up a few times.

24. transporter_gate_studios

transporter_gate_studios

i mean its shader graph. if it didnt compile i wouldnt see anything on the material.

25. ShaneW

ShaneW

Scene Depth isnt working at all for unity 2021 for the URP (ive only tried URP), it returns nothing.. Ive tried on a brand new project, can confirm what transporter_gate_studios has said.

Also shaders from the asset store that use it also do not work, it also seems enabling/disabling the depth texture toggle does nothing on the camera or the pipeline settings.

Works perfectly in 2020.

26. Darkgaze

Darkgaze