Search Unity

Games Scatteria - Post apocalyptic 2d shooter

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by PistonMedia, Nov 21, 2016.

1. PistonMedia

PistonMedia

Hi guys!

Let me show you guys my main project that I am working called Scatteria. Its also my first game project.

Scatteria is 2d platform shooter based on post apocalyptic earth.
    Main goal is to stay alive, scatter items/weapons/ammo, build covers and kill enemies. With Splitscreen support up to 4-players.

Im hoping to make random generated maps. Collecting resources and making weapons, items and bunkers with them. Currently the game is really raw alpha state.

Here is gameplay video we took with my friend on last friday:

You can find this also on Unity Connect: https://connect.unity.com/p/5830466b090915001a6cd1e6
    Crits, comments and ideas welcome! Let me know what you guys think ;)

2. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

1. Your pixel art is good.
    2. You have a good sense of color: palette is very good.
    3. Shooting sounds are VERY good. It's very cool that there is even a little sound for falling bullet cases.

For a first game it's great. :)

3. Sazem

Sazem

Thanks Quingu for positive feedback!!
    The sounds I bought from Unity asset store. Pack was called Universal Sound FX and its really worth of the money.

Here is progress I got working today... took me few days to learn about vectors and raycasts to get this working. Blood on enviroment depending on bullet trajectory:

ps. this is my real account, I accidently made the topic with my other account which was made for Asset store for the future :D

4. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

This looks really cool. The art is very well put together, the colors feel very apocalyptic. I have made 2D shooters in the past and this looks like alot of fun, I love a good splitscreen multiplayer game and this looks quite promising!

I did notice it seems most of the fighting is done without seeing the enemy (at least from the video). Perhaps having some sort of camera control or a scoping mechanic would be useful.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes! :)

5. Sazem

Sazem

Yeah thats a very good point! I noticed that when I was playing that I have to watch from friends screen where he is, so I can aim correctly.

There is currently aim button in the game, which slowers the player down and makes the trajectories go more straight. There was also camera "zoom" in the same button. The camera will zoom more closer to the place where player is aiming. But.. I took it off for while because I had some problems with the script. Going to put it back to next update :)

Thanks for feedback :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  6. Samuel411

Samuel411

The art looks on point! The gameplay could use some touch ups though. In the video is seemed really floaty with the movement in the air and the quick acceleration as soon as you touch the ground. IMO I would either reduce or remove the movement while in the air and slow down the acceleration speed.

The blood effects from bullet impacts looks fantastic, see if you can work some simple screenshake for impactactful momments like landing, shooting, getting shot, grenade, etc.

I like it so far, reminds me of some flash games I was addicted to online at school when I was younger.

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Looking good so far. Nice work.

Possible name change:
    Scatteria - Everybody Looses Their Head
    :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  8. HolBol

HolBol

If it's changed to that, you'll want to change "Looses" to "Loses".
    Things aren't getting less tight. ;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. Sazem

Sazem

You are right on the movement. I think the current playtest showed that the game is bit too hectic to my taste. I want to slow bit the gameplay. Acceleration might be really good solution for this, I have to try it out.
    In first versions of the game I had totally midair movement off, and I think it didnt feel responsive enought.. I know its more realistic but felt that player totally lost the control of the situation. Reducing might be the answer.. lets see I will try it for sure ;)
    Thanks for the advices! Especially on the gameplay side, I totally need tips to make this better!
    haha ok, I got this one. Currently I got only two death animations in the game. Last one was the Torso exploded.. Maybe I have make some new more toned down versions :D

Well here is some animations that I have made while ago but not all imported still to the game

Next week I will continue painting on the new backgrounds and start importing them into the project.

10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I think the tone is good, not often do we see a nice attention paid to player deaths. I was just suggesting to add some variation - which looks like you have also considered.
    Keep up the quality work!

11. Samuel411

Samuel411

I think the hitting animation and shooting animation could use a little more emphasis? Bigger muzzle flash and effect, and the hitting animation could have the dude move his body a little more like his legs moving forward to hit and body rotating back before hitting.

The damage animations are really great those look fantastic especially the one with the torso exploding and the blood drips on both of them.

12. Croomraider

Croomraider

I'm also in the learning stage and was hoping you could expand on this more.

Game looks fun man, congrats!

13. hitmanchoi

hitmanchoi

hi piston. i love your art and general mood of the game. after watching your youtube gameplay footage, i feel like animations there are too simple (especially the main character's run animations). also i've always enjoyed 2d platformers that have more layers in the background. but overall this game looks great. keep up the work man.

14. Sazem

Sazem

Im not currently at home and finally got portable setup correctly to make pixel art. Here is some new environment stuff

Yeah I think I need lots more little adjustments on the effects :D One reason I didnt animate the legs was because its different part in the player Game Object. As the player can hit and run same time. Anyway I think that would really add some perspective to have the body turning bit etc. But I think might be hard to animate.. I could try atleast :)

Ofcourse, but I think its not so complicated than it sounds :D

1. Yellow line is the bullet trajectory.
    2. When hit into players box collider, it sends a raycast from that point straight depending where bullet is facing. (purple line)
    3. If there is a tile that the raycast hits, it instantiate the blood prefab into the tile object (as child) and changes the rotation of the blood object depending on which normal of the tile raycast was hit. In this case Top..

I hope this helps... Originally I thought I need to make some Vector math and stuff but actually Unity made all the heavylifting for me :D

15. Croomraider

Croomraider

thank you!!

16. Sazem

Sazem

Thanks for the feedback. Its true about those animations. I also would like to fix those soldiers and try to improve them little, im not 100% happy of them in current situation. Lets see if I can manage to make some better characters.

Anyway I have been working for the last few weeks pretty intense on the game to get to the next "beta test".
    After the test I will make some more game play recording and hopefully I got something to show in the next few weeks.
    Meanwhile here is a new screenshot:

17. Sazem

Sazem

Here is some gameplay footage from current stage of the game.

Feel free to leave comments, ideas and crits :)

theANMATOR2b and RavenOfCode like this.
  18. Sazem

Sazem

Playing around with Unity 2017.1 Sprite Masking feature..

RavenOfCode and theANMATOR2b like this.
  19. Sazem

Sazem

Duck and Cover mechanic implented on the game!
    Needs lot of tweaking but currently im very happy about this feature.

This mean that the player is more down than normal crouch position. Also you can throu grenade behind the tile without getting shot :)

20. Croomraider

Croomraider

this game looks awesome man!

21. Sazem

Sazem

I`ve been only programming the last four months, so not a lot new content to show.
    Well, I have been updating the blood system this week to have more "juice" on the game.

Also I finally got the most fun part of the gamedev (atleast for me), painting new environment pixel art.
    Going to import this to the game in couple of days. Then record some more gameplay video.
    Then mix the gameplay video with speedpainting video and upload to youtube.
    Here is the environment:

RavenOfCode and HolBol like this.
  22. Cleve-Blakemore

Cleve-Blakemore

Brilliant stuff, looks the definitive post-apocalyptic 2D platformer. Add a little interaction and inventory management plus interesting story, it will be an instant classic.

23. mangax

mangax

i l
    i like the blood effect, but it looks a bit like firework explosion (all particles spread equally in all directions) maybe particles direction should be effected a bit with the character movement or explosion location.

24. Sazem

Sazem

Here is latest screenshots that I took from betatesting. The game has progress alot in last 4 months.
    In few weeks I will try to publish public local splitscreen demo version into Itch.io to receive some feedback.

_M_S_D_ likes this.
  25. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Looking cool. :D Expect feedback from me testing it. Loving the look of this.

Sazem likes this.
  26. Sazem

Sazem

Thanks, all feedback will be for use :)
    Anyway the minimum requirements are pretty much one controller and keyboard + mouse. Scatteria currenlty has only local splitscreen with 2 - 4 players. Its pretty boring to run around alone in the level :D

I will start working on the multiplayer code in next month.

27. Sazem

Sazem

Guys, go check out the teaser video I made for the upcoming splitscreen demo!

28. Sazem

Sazem

29. CuriousScribbles

CuriousScribbles

Very nice. Love the artwork and everything else you have thus far. Subscribed :)

Sazem likes this.
  30. Sazem

Sazem

This weekend I have been working on the game feel, juice etc. Lots of small updates like screenshake, muzzle effects, sprite flashes and sound effect tweaks.

Happiest I am about blood particle effect that spreads depending the hit direction. Few years ago I couldnt think how to make this kind of stuff with programming but today only took me about 20minutes.(check the last gif)

Here is the blood shot effect

31. Sazem

Sazem

Made a small shooting range level to players practice shooting. I supose this will be somesort of a tutorial level.

Then I made walking target drone in Krita 4.1. I will try to program A.I to this next week and implent it to the level.

32. Sazem

Sazem

My first A.I: Target drones are alive!! (ok not too long but still...) :p

33. Sazem

Sazem

I published the store page of Scatteria at Steam today!! One step more closer to something real..
    Go wishlist it!
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/926400/Scatteria/

Also, been working on tutorial level. I will be posting gif about it. Im pretty happy how its going along. Also makes Scatteria feel again bit more like a real game.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  34. RobsonCozendey

RobsonCozendey

I play local 4-coop games every weekend, so surely I'll follow this game closely. There are not many 4-coop games out there (and I have a few in my Steam library, like Gauntlet, MUA 1 & 2, Magicka 1 & 2, Tomb Raider and the Temple of Osiris, and others in my wishlist like Helldivers, Broforce and Aeon Altar), so you will be in a very closed circle.

At first it reminded me a bit of Broforce, but it is very different, and very cool. The background palette contrast reminded me a bit of Green Beret, which is one of my favorite retro games.

Sazem likes this.
  35. RobsonCozendey

RobsonCozendey

Maybe you're already aware of that, but just played the 0.10 version with two gamepads, and each gamepad is controlling both characters. I guess it isn't that complicated to fix. I used two XBOX 360 for PC gamepads.

Keep it on!

Sazem likes this.
  36. Sazem

Sazem

Thanks for the feedback RobsonCozende! That is really valuable for me.
    I have to admit... that before 0.10 version I had multiple (ps + xbox styles) controllers to test out the game, they were loaned from friends. So finally I presumed everything works and I gave them back. I think I have made lots of changes in the controls and have been only testing with one controller (+ keyboard and mouse.) Damn, I have to go buy one extra xbox controller right now.. I didnt know that this bug exists :O Good wake up call!!

Anyway the version 0.10 is super crap version. I have found alot of big bugs in the game, nearly game breaker bugs that I already fixed. Im going to push 0.11 to itch.io most likely next week. I am going to find out and fix that controller bug too.

I really like local co-op and split screen games! Playing with friends in same location has always been one of my favorite things. Thats why I started to develop Scatteria eventually.

Im actually now aware that there isnt so much split screen games for Pc. Better target audience would have probably been in Playstation or Xbox.. (hopefully port to them in future). With Pc people mostly likes to play single players stuff. Lets hope this dont effect too negative on the sales. I got single player in mind but I dont have funds or time for the early access to make it happen.

ps. I will definitly look into games you recommended, didnt know all of them.
    If you know any social groups/youtubers or such that are towards split screen games, pls let me know :)

37. Sazem

Sazem

Latest thing Ive been working is the network code. Totally new area to me, so I would say its been bit hard! :D
    I hope I can manage to finish the network code in January. Then polish like a hell and try to publish Scatteria into Early acess finally.

Anyway I wanted to have a day break on a multiplayer code, so I started to work on the water in the game. Added dynamic bubbles, waves (hacky, but works), splash particles and some sound effects!

38. Sazem

Sazem

No real news lately. Still working on the network code and updating all of the old system to work with the multiplayer code. At least I am finally getting out of the tunnel. I only have few big issues before I can start making the code work more efficient. Currently its very crude & laggy.

To get break from the network stuff I really wanted to make a more dynamic water. Also it works as limitter on some levels. It took me a way longer than I originally expected. Almost gave up in few times but after spending three days on this I dedicated not to give up and finally I got it working! For the end result Im very happy and it really brings so much into the general "game feel" that it was worth it. Totally time spend 36hours, almost one week.

Here is a recipe I wrote on Reddit how it was made
    Also one funny thing happened. While I made the old bubbles work with this, randomly spawn around the water area I accidently made one bug that let the bubbles come outside of the water. It instantly felt like poison.. So I changed the water color to green and pumped the bubbles amount way up. It actually worked better than I expected.
    So thanks to this bug I have now two different liquids in the game. :p

_M_S_D_ likes this.
  39. Sazem

Sazem

The network code is finally working pretty well. Here is a online gameplay video of the beta test from few days ago. I was actually little afraid how this would turn out because Ive spend so much time on making that online code. For a happy suprice it worked and the game was very fun to play. Test was held between Spain, Netherlands and Finland without too many issues.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  40. Sazem

Sazem

41. Sazem

Sazem

Just released the biggest update for Scatteria so far! Singleplayer alpha update:

The pathfinding + A.I took me few months more than I originally expected but its now playable! I regret that I didnt do this earlier. When I first played the game alone againts to the enemy hoardes it was actually surprisingly fun and the game felt instantly so much more... a real game!

I set 40% discount with the update.. so if you are interested now would be really good time to test out the game!
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/926400/Scatteria__Postapocalyptic_shooter/