Search Unity

Scatter System

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by SpookyCat, Mar 18, 2011.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi All
    Just a quick test video of a run time scatter system I've been adding to our script library. Allows the artist to define areas that will be filled at run time or load time with whatever meshes the artist wants with params to describe density, collision, rotation scale etc. Anyway quick video should give an idea. Lots more to add :)
    Chris
    [video=youtube;mI7HNfIGhj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI7HNfIGhj0

Added a Web Player and there is a 'Density' value in the options menu. (Note old version of scatter)

Update: Getting close to releasing this system, just doing a little demo scene.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Already saw pics of this in another thread, and I have to say, VERY impressive!

3. cupsster

cupsster

very very nice.. some more info about script? distribution is based on raycasting? and scrpt from wiki tocheck if point is inside polygon?

4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

hey, I've been meaning to ask you, are your scripts available somewhere? they are awesome

5. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Awesome!

6. PolyMad

PolyMad

Put this stuff on the Asset Store!

7. kenshin

kenshin

I agree! ...is really impressive!

8. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

Very handy for non-Terrain terrains!

9. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thanks all.
    All the code is custom written, I had it working in our own game engine so just converting it over to Unity really. Spline shapes are exported directly from Max through FBX files and own code to determine inside or outside of splines (including holes or overlapping splines). It has mainly been done to allow non terrain scattering and runtime changing of mesh density due to platform, time of year (leaves), amount of clutter, marbles on track and so on.

I do have a webplayer demo but it doesnt really show much just shows the end result so didnt think anyone would be interested in it. I do plan on putting most of this stuff on the Asset store but so busy with the game I dare not put it up there now as I don't think I would have the time to support it until the game is out.

Thank you again for you kind words :)
    Chris
    $scatgrab.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  10. DavidB

DavidB

This is really something else. Definitely look forward to the release when you have time to get around to it. Creative solution to say the very least though! Thanks for posting :D

11. cupsster

cupsster

that leaves on ground are texture of the ground...? what about performance? is there built-in LOD support?

12. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Leaves in that picture are on the texture but funny you should say that as leaves was one of the reason the artist asked for such a system to distribute leaves under trees for time of year. And again LOD support is another reason behind it, to allow automatic generation of LOD info for our LOD system. The build process can be split over any number of frames to build in the background, for our main game use the meshes update easily in a few ms.

13. Jordii

Jordii

I'm just in love with the scenery, it's so pretty sir <3

14. Pulov

Pulov

Speechles...
    Edit

So, the guardrail is also generated on runtime!!.

I do work with CAD apps every day and have been waiting for a while to have splines imported so apps like unityroads could take advantage of accurately created splines.

Hope that as time pases by, we can see your tools in the AssetStore.

So pro.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  15. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yes barrier is another runtime generated object, need to add a lot more to that yet :) Put the demo up at Here that has a density option slider in the options. Not a ripping demo but still. It may chug a little as the mesh is rather complex and there are a lot of effects piled on top. Esc gets options and mouse and buttons moves around.

Chris

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  16. macspeedee

macspeedee

That's a nice little demo, nice Image effects.

17. joel

joel

the grass is awesome, is it available anywhere?

18. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Any word on this system hitting the asset store?

19. pixellegolas

pixellegolas

thanks for bringing this thread up again, really inspirational. I don't know why people sometimes call out "necro" when reviving these old goodies

20. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just a quick one to say that this system will be in the asset store very soon, added some extra features with more to come.

21. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Great stuff as usual SpookyCat!

22. zupabxl2

zupabxl2

very nice indeed!

23. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Putting the finishing touches to a demo scene showing off some of the features of MegaScatter.

24. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Video showing some of the features has been uploaded.

25. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I have bought this asset long time ago, and I think is really amazing and awesome.

Now I want to make a sculpture made of tubes as shown on the thread below but I do not know if you really can do this that I want to do using is asset, because if the scatter is made procedurally, I need to make a prefab of he final result

https://forum.unity.com/threads/ple...sculptures-as-meshes-around-an-object.540551/

Thanks very much for any possible help