Search Unity

Scam Emails from unity, How did they get my email address?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thothling, Jun 8, 2017.

1. thothling

thothling

I sent a report with screenshots to support@unity3d.com 3 days ago, and nobody ever answered. (only got a Customer Services ticket)

The email asked me to pay for accelerator pack. attachment is the email screenshot.
    Apparently this is not from unity. (even the payment address root can't be reached https://secure.worldpay.com/ returned Permission Denied)

But, I just join unity less than 1 month and didn't tell anybody, Only unity company knows my email address. How could anybody know my email address linked to my account. (my email address is not my support email for my game)
    It seems that someone from unity sold my email address to some scam company. isn't it?

The email is as below:

Jietu20170601-032105.jpg

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It doesn't look legit. But Unity Asia does have a habit of sending out emails that look like spam.

Otherwise there are a dozen ways that spammers can get your email address. I would suggest simply getting a decent spam filter and forgetting about protecting your address.

Socrates and neoshaman like this.
  3. thothling

thothling

my email address link to unity don't get spam emails. otherwise I won't mention it.
    I have other email address which do get spam emails. but only this unity email address get scam email about unity.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Base URL is reachable though. Wikipedia mentions Worldpay is on the London Stock Exchange and that they are a subsidiary of Advent International and Bain Capital both of which are private equity firms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldpay

Schneider21 likes this.
  5. thothling

thothling

thanks
    I can't open the base url . and that is still a fake email .
    because I already have accelerator pack. for free. and the email address has a "?" which means gmail don't recognize it from unity3d.com.
    I just think many people may already be tricked.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Right, Gmail was unable to verify that the email truly arrived from Unity. Which by the way isn't always an indicator of a problem because it is possible for an email to fail to be verified while still being legit. Still doesn't hurt to be careful though.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/180707

7. thothling

thothling

All other emails I got from the same email address was recognized. (support@unity3d.com)
    if I don't already get the package, I may not recognize it.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Pinged amazing people to come here!

Deleted User likes this.
  10. aliceingameland

aliceingameland

Administrator

@thothling The support team will be best equipped to help you with this issue. However, I couldn't find your ticket in our support queue. I'll send you a private conversation so that you can share your ticket # and email address so we can follow up on this for you.

hippocoder likes this.