Search Unity

Scaling with ARFoundation

Discussion in 'AR' started by tdmowrer, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

There was some old\depricated plugin which made it work in editor indeed. But now its outdated\or early access and not really working as far as i know.

2. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

I see... let's hope they provide something because right now, it's very frustrating especially when you want to explore the api and do more advanced use of AR experience.

Bye,

Jean

3. GeckoTrader

GeckoTrader

Thank you @tdmowrer for your post.

Will this impact "Collaborative participants" functionality, which uses ARAnchor and reports back both participants and ARAnchors?

4. rajshekarreddy

rajshekarreddy

How do I do this the traditional way using lean touch?

5. vishwah13

vishwah13

i have a problem if i scale the AR Session origin it cant detect the Plane any more

6. gaurav_u_gupta

gaurav_u_gupta

I am struggling in it since last few days. if somebody can suggest anything it will be helpful.
    I have a steady model on AR Plane. and I want to scale it down after model is detected. When scaledown button is pressed following code is invoked:

sessionOrigin.transform.localScale = Vector3.one * newval;
    sessionOrigin.MakeContentAppearAt(shadowPlane.transform, new Vector3(0,0,0));
    worldMap.setAnchorPoint(Vector3.zero, Quaternion.Euler(new Vector3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f)));

This doesn't work. and everthing remains as it is. model doesn't change at all.
    However, moment I change first line from localScale to position as :
    sessionOrigin.transform.position = Vector3.one * newval;

it works and model size reduces. But problem is model looses its primary position and keeps changing the location at every button click. And I assume its because I am changing the position in code. But any suggestion what is going wrong ? why am I not able to use localScale ? Because my requirement is to change size not position.

7. Prathamesh_Prasade

Prathamesh_Prasade

I have 2 copies of a Cube in my AR scene, Cube1 and Cube2. Cube1 is child of the ARSessionOrigin>ARCamera>Cube1 and Cube2 is not child of ARSessionOrigin. When I detect a plane, I place Cube2 at the hit pose using MakeContentAppearAt(). I have implemented scaling using the slider as shown in AR Foundation Samples. In my case the ARSessionOrigin scale varies from 0.5 to 1.5. The problem is I am not able to scale Cube1 exactly to match the size of Cube2 when Cube2 is scaled using the slider. Any suggestions how I can keep matching sizes of both cubes even after using the scaling slider. I tried to change the local scale of Cube1 but it never matches exactly with Cube 2.

8. mohanyadav

mohanyadav

Thank you @tdmowrer
    Came across the forum post while I was searching for how to rotate terrain in AR. Helped me achieve the result that I wanted :)

9. Prathamesh_Prasade

Prathamesh_Prasade

@tdmowrer can you please help me out. I am stuck on this from quite a long time.

10. mwlazlo885

mwlazlo885

hey! is there a method to scale ArSession with fingers?

11. makaka-org

makaka-org

Try AR Foundation Editor Remote.

bostonvaulter and KyryloKuzyk like this.
  12. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Cool,

How did I missed that! :)

Another typical case of "It should be integrated by Unity" ...

Bye,

Jean

KyryloKuzyk likes this.
  13. makaka-org

makaka-org

In MARS (paid) Unity has Remote Testing, but AR Foundation Editor Remote is cheaper.

KyryloKuzyk likes this.
  14. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

well, Mars is not exactly like that.

Bye,

Jean

15. makaka-org

makaka-org

@tdmowrer Hi, if I use next code then I have inverted scaling factor.
    If the factor is greater, then the visual scale of the game world is smaller.

1. Why is it working in such a way?
    2. We have MakeContentAppearAt() method. Why we don't have Scale() method, and we need to use default way to scaling? I guess, that it might be a little confusing.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. arSessionOrigin.MakeContentAppearAt(gameWorldParent, pos);
    3. yield return null;
    5. arSessionOrigin.transform.localScale = Vector3.one * factor;

16. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

I agree that inverted scaling may be counter-intuitive. The scale applied to ARSessionOrigin actually scales all tracked objects (planes, point clouds, etc.). So a better way to think about scale is that you're scaling an entire world while your virtual object stays the same size. This means if you make an entire world twice bigger, the apparent size of your virtual content will become twice smaller.

makaka-org likes this.
  17. dogsaregreat

dogsaregreat

could this setup make sense in a situation where the environment is mapped with a mesh, with several environmental objects who's scale needs to be fixed but i want to scale 1 object?

18. Kiraaa23

Kiraaa23

I was struggling with pixelated shadows in my ARScene, on some research i came to know that it was because of the scaling thing, the objects were becoming too tiny to cast good shadows. This thread really helped me a lot to understand Arfoundation workflow and ARSessionOrigin.MakeContentAppearAt did the trick for me. Thank You

KyryloKuzyk and makaka-org like this.
  19. 52cwalk

52cwalk

I am facing the same issue when using the 3d Object recognition, , it has no effect when using the ARSessionOrigin transform scale and MakeContentAppearAt.
    Why?

20. todds_unity

todds_unity

Would you please start a new thread and describe your problem in detail?

makaka-org likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.