Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Scaling multiple sprites causes lag/stuttering

Discussion in '2D' started by jwennergren, Aug 12, 2019 at 7:37 PM.

1. jwennergren

jwennergren

Hi!

I try to spawn 5 mushrooms(sprites) at random location and scale them up slowly. But when i do this i experience heavy stuttering. Why is this?

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void LateUpdate()
    2.     {
    3.         // animate the position of the game object...
    4.         transform.localScale = new Vector3(transform.localScale.x + 0.01f, transform.localScale.y + 0.01f, 0);
    5.     }

2. jeffreyschoch

jeffreyschoch

Probably framerate fluctuation?

Currently you're scaling by .01 per frame. You want to be doing things independent from framerate so the hardware you run the game on doesn't influence the resulting gameplay. To do that, you can multiply by Time.deltaTime to make it "per second".

Time.deltaTime is equal to the amount of time passed since last frame. It changes every frame as your framerate changes.

Try this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public float scaleChangePerSecond = .1f;
    2. void LateUpdate()
    3. {
    4.     float scaleSpeed = scaleChangePerSecond * Time.deltaTime;
    5.     // animate the position of the game object...
    6.     transform.localScale = new Vector3(transform.localScale.x + scaleSpeed, transform.localScale.y + scaleSpeed, 0);
    7. }

jwennergren likes this.
  3. jwennergren

jwennergren

Thanks for your reply.

I tested to start a new project and scale the mushrooms up simultaneously. Now it works so i guess i must have hit some setting which causes the problem.

I know i have fiddled with postprocessing and HDR in the previous project this might be the cause.

jeffreyschoch likes this.