Search Unity

Question Scaling an VisualElement to preserve background aspect ratio

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by www4, May 26, 2023.

1. www4

www4

Hi,
    I'm struggling a bit with what I thought would be a simple task. I want to scale this VisualElement in a container so that it takes up 100% height and just as much width as needed to preserve aspect ratio.

upload_2023-5-26_2-21-23.png

This is the intended result that I accomplished by hardcoding the pixel size, but as I want the image to be resizable this isn't satisfactory. Here is my UXML code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. <ui:VisualElement name="top-group" style="flex-grow: 1; padding-left: 40px; padding-right: 40px; padding-top: 40px; padding-bottom: 20px; flex-direction: row; justify-content: flex-start; align-items: stretch;">
    2.         <ui:VisualElement name="profile-picture" style="background-image: url(<link>); flex-shrink: 0; height: 100%; width: auto; -unity-background-scale-mode: scale-to-fit; flex-grow: 0;" />
    3.  </ui:VisualElement>
    Any help comes highly appreciated :)

2. spiney199

spiney199

You should only need to set
    flex-grow: 1
    and so long as the parent container is organising its children via
    flex-direction: column
    it should grow to fill out as much vertical space as it can.

Otherwise setting its height to 100% as you've done will make sure it grows to fill out all vertical space too.

3. www4

www4

The thing is I don't want it to take all space that it can in all directions. This element's container is
    flex-direction: row
    , so I want it to take 100% vertical space, but only as much horizontal space as it needs to maintain aspect ratio. If I set grow to 1, it will take up as much space as it can horizontally, which is undesirable for me.

4. jwinn

jwinn

I want to scale this VisualElement in a container so that it takes up 100% height and just as much width as needed to preserve aspect ratio.

This is almost exactly the same problem I was trying to solve yesterday. Unity needs to add support for the Yoga layout engine's aspect-ratio. There's some more discussion in this thread. Right now it looks like code is needed when you want a VisualElement to be 100% height and a dynamic width that keeps the aspect ratio (there are at least two GitHub links to scripts there that should work as a stop-gap solution).

Last edited: May 27, 2023
    www4 likes this.