Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Question Scale dithering with render target resolution

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by WayNexus, Nov 29, 2022.

1. WayNexus

WayNexus

I have a basic xray shader that uses the Dither node, and I'd like it to not scale with the render target resolution (i.e. when Render Scale changes in the URP asset).

Is there a way to get the dithering to always appear like render scale = 1 below?

Render scale = 1
    Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 11.34.58 AM.png

Render scale = 0.8
    Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 11.35.06 AM.png

Render scale = 0.6
    Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 11.35.14 AM.png

Render scale = 0.5
    Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 11.35.36 AM.png

Noogy likes this.
  2. Noogy

Noogy

I'm running into this exact same issue with shadergraph dithering and renderscale. I've noticed some 3rd party custom shaders also exhibit the same issue, but others (like Stylized Grass Shader) seem to accommodate for the renderscale dither fine.

I'd love to also fix this issue in my shadergraph shaders, since I'm dynamically adjusting renderscale for increased performance.

3. JAT25

JAT25

Had this exact issue today. To solve it I just added a "Screen Position" node, attatched to a "Tiling and Offset" node, and then set tiling via code to match render scale, then attatched it to "Screen position" slot in "Dither" Node.

upload_2022-12-12_15-51-39.png

At least this worked for me.

Noogy likes this.
  4. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

If anyone is interested in calculating the URP Render Scale in shader (graph), you can try:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Half precision should be enough for Render Scale.
    2. // "_ScreenSize" and "_ScreenParams" are global variables.
    3. half2 renderScale = _ScreenSize.xy / _ScreenParams.xy;
    Not sure whether this is the best way because I remember that there're other ways to access it. (seems to be zw of a vector4)

For example, the URP Render Scale is set to 0.5 in the picture below.
    Shader_RenderScale.jpg

Noogy likes this.
  5. Noogy

Noogy

Thank you both so much, I went with the solution in @JAT25's post. Plugged in a float into the Tiling and Offset tiling tab and then calling Shader.SetGlobalFloat("_renderScaleTiling", urpPipeline.renderScale) in my script. A tad shimmery but leagues better than the effect I was getting before.

6. JAT25

JAT25

Thanks @wwWwwwW1 That code is better than using an external script. For the rest who dont know how to implement the custom function my final solution was this:

upload_2022-12-13_8-59-27.png

wwWwwwW1 likes this.
  7. Noogy

Noogy

I'd be interested in trying it this way since feeding a vector2 instead of a float might be more accurate and help with the shimmering.

However, I might be doing something wrong with the custom function. (_ScreenSize.xy / _ScreenParams.xy) always returns 1 for me regardless of my renderscale?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022