Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Scalable mid-range project for PC/Mac/XB1/PS4/Switch - HDRP, LWRP, standard?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Sinbad3D, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Sinbad3D

Sinbad3D

After wrapping up our last project (Unity 2017) I've been trying out 2018.3 and the scriptable render pipelines. Generally the experience has been positive but I'm left wondering what render pipeline target would be most appropriate for a project aimed at the "middle" of the market. So not mobile, not super-high-end, but "base PS4/XB1 with a few scale downs for Switch" sort of level.

The HDRP is nice, but I read between the lines that it's not likely to ever run on Nintendo Switch, due to its heavy reliance on compute shaders. Is this a valid assumption?

I feel like I should be looking at *some* kind of scriptable render pipeline, both because it's (potentially) easier to customise later, and I feel they're likely to get the most development attention in future. But the LWRP target seems a little *too* low, given it's missing a bunch of features like decals/projection, SSAO (although I like the single-pass forward option).

Does this mean "vanilla" Unity 18/19 without SRP is going to be the appropriate basis for this mid-range target? I kind of feel like I could be missing out by using this "older" route but the 2 SRP extremes don't seem to fit well either.

hippocoder likes this.
  2. JonDadley

JonDadley

I'm also interested in getting an answer to this. Is there any official info on HDRP Switch support? There's a few HDRP features I'd love to utilise (like Depth post pass) but Switch support is essential. As mentioned in the OP, the LWRP seems to be missing enough features to not make it viable for a mid-range project. "Vanilla" (non SRP) Unity is an option for us but I'd kill for that Depth Post pass.

hippocoder and Sinbad3D like this.
  3. MilesMaster2006

MilesMaster2006

I would think that the Switch could run the HDRP with a few optimizations. Games like Super Mario Odyssey have shown what the Switch can do in terms of graphical quality, when you put your mind to it. Granted, that's likely because Nintendo themselves know how to get the most out of it's Nvidia Tegra X1 chip, but it is possible.

Considering the chipset, shouldn't the Tegra X1''s CUDA cores be compatible, considering their support of compute shaders? I may be wrong, maybe the chip doesn't support that, but I'm not sure.

I just really wish that Unity detailed more expansive documentation on writing a custom SRP. Thankfully Catlike Coding's been doing a good series on it so far. https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/scriptable-render-pipeline/custom-pipeline/

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But mario does less than what LWRP is capable of. That is, LWRP is already far and beyond the capabilities shown in BOTW or the latest Mario. It's all just very good art, baking, classic mobile techniques.

Regarding compute I think it's more of a case that the compute is there more as a feature that might be used than something that should be used heavily, just because it's there doesn't mean it's the fastest option.

I think I saw some switch optimisations hit SRP recently (pyramid done using shader instead of compute) so I guess switch is a thing? Switch support is welcome even if HDRP has to turn a lot of features off because porting to LWRP is not trouble free.

Would like official clarification also.

5. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,

That is a good question and I will try to give an answer.

For doing the right choice, you need to gather few information: Which platform (Nice that's you define them), which visual target (AAA, AA, indy etc...) and shipping date.
    Shipping date is important as depends on the date, thing may evolve. Visual targets is also important as if you want AAA graphics it limit a lot your choice.

Current state:
    LW is plan to be out of preview for 2019.1, HD is plan to be out of preview 2019.3.
    Out of preview mean well tested, optimized, work on all target platforms, have documentation, have UX pass.
    Being in preview doesn't prevent to ship a game, if current state of HD 2018.3 - 4.6.0 (publish soon) is good for you then perfect, it will only improve.

HD will support PC/MAC/Linux/XBox/PS4.
    Switch is currently undefined. HD is already able to run on Switch with almost every features, but performance aren't great due to the heavy PS4/XBoxOne focus optimization.There is effort ongoing here but we don't make any promise regarding Switch support for now.

Answer for platform PC/Mac/XBox/PS4/Switch for casual visual title.

For a project shipping end of 2019:
    I will recommend Built-in Unity with asset store plugin.
    LW don't have enough features.
    HD may not support switch and is still in preview.

For a project shipping in 2020:
    I will recommend LW. LW will be leverage in features during 2019 and work on all platforms with better performance than builtin.
    HD may be a candidate depends on success or not with Switch optimization.

I hope this answer your question.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks for clarification, Seb!

7. MilesMaster2006

MilesMaster2006

This was the source I was referring to. https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ech_analysis_of_odysseys_graphics_engine_pbr/

Thanks again.

8. MilesMaster2006

MilesMaster2006

Thanks for the clarification, Seb.

If the LWRP throws in a few more material types, like cheap SSS/translucency, Clearcoat, and whatnot, I'll be good. I love what the pipeline has shown so far, and I can't wait to see it continue to evolve.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

LWRP has cheap SSS etc coming as far as I know, courtesy of @Kink3d

10. MilesMaster2006

MilesMaster2006

yay!

11. Sinbad3D

Sinbad3D

Thanks for the advice Seb.

I suspect we won't be shipping before 2020, but I'm going to stick with standard Unity for now, and see how things develop. I'm thinking it will be easier to switch from standard to either LWRP or HDRP later (probably the former), than it would be to switch from HDRP to LWRP or vice versa, especially as I'm finding myself tweaking some shaders already (plus there's the inherent changes that will no doubt be happening). I don't tend to use any Asset Store things beyond infrastructural stuff (mostly just Rewired), so that shouldn't cause any issues.

12. Ziboo

Ziboo

I'm also very interested to get an answer for the Switch.
    There is two features that I would want for my game that are not currently in LW are:
    - Decals
    - Visual Effects Graph

Are they plans to integrate them in LW @SebLagarde ?

Thanks

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

VFX coming to LW, decals you can probably handle...

14. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

I wonder, considering VFX Graph is going to be supported by LWRP, would it make sense to assume the VFX Graph is supported for Switch?

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Regarding decals in Universal: if not, why not?
    They're needed in every single game bar 2D I'd imagine.

CyRaid likes this.
  16. StuwuStudio

StuwuStudio

Hey, I was wondering if compute shader did work on Switch or not. My game generates just a tiny bit of marching cube on a job using layers of noises generated on a compute.

17. funkyCoty

funkyCoty

Yes, Compute Shaders work on Switch. We're using them for the fluid sim in our game Wave Break

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  18. PaulinaGrigonis

PaulinaGrigonis

Where you also using the VFX Graph by any chance?

Perhaps could somebody confirm if Switch supports VFX Graph? If it does support compute shaders then I guess it should also support VFX Graph?

19. funkyCoty

funkyCoty

We were using entirely custom shaders. I don't know about VFX graph, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.