Search Unity

SC Post Effects Pack [Built-in/URP] - 34 additional effects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Jan 18, 2018.

1. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Ah, thanks, I'll try this out! I'll have to a look at HDRP tomorrow and see what's up.

j-schuele likes this.
  2. zhangyanfeng

zhangyanfeng

Hello..I use Unity2018.2.0f2, and did Setup up Oculus and SC post all in default model and single pass for stereo rendering method..but in device, my left eye is absolutely white with noting could be seen...could you give me a detail config helper?

3. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The default profile included in the package only has Unity effects added to it, does this happen when any of the SCPE effects are enabled? If so, which one in particular?

4. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I found the cause of these errors, it was due to the way I set the resolution for temporary textures. I will apply a fix to all the effects for next update.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention! When I last tested HDRP this wasn't an issue, but apparently my method has been declared "illegal" recently.

5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Just submitted an update with the following changes:

Added:
    - Gradient
    * Blending modes​

Fixed:
    - Errors messages for some effects when using HDRP
    - Threshold behaviour for Light Streaks and Lens Flares
    - Sunshafts
    * Directional Light position influencing origin of sun rays
    * High intensity values causing banding artifacts​

6. bgrz

bgrz

Hey,
    does the new fog work in VR (forward & single-pass), and what's the performance like? Also, will it make everything blurry (like some post effects do when enabled)?

7. zhangyanfeng

zhangyanfeng

thanks for reply..I think no effect make sense in Oculus GO. I guess maybe SCPE is available when the project is built in .exe file and on PC?but not available for apk in Android system like Oculus GO??
    If it is available for Oculus GO with Android System, Could u give a simple Novice guidance On Youtube??Or maybe a very simple scene is OK...Thanks a lot!!

8. Ozer_Jigme

Ozer_Jigme

Hey, just purchased the asset - thanks for the work!

A few questions if you don't mind:

- could we get a sunshafts demo? Can't get them to look good atm
    - would a bilateral filter be possible?
    - for the Kuwahara filter - would love to be able to use fx distance beginning and end. That way could use it as a kind of depth of field effect

Thanks again!

9. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The fog effect will render correctly for both eyes when using Single-Pass Rendering. It doesn't blur the fogged areas, I did some experimentation with this and the visual gain was minimal. The shader operations aren't anything groundbreaking (as opposed to true volumetric fog) and I didn't notice a performance hit. I tested it in the Adam Exterior Demo, which is already pretty performance heavy.

Ah, right, Oculus GO is mobile of course, that slipped my mind. Currently SCPE is not supported on mobile platforms. I will do testing on that platform before the final release, so right now I can't say for sure if I'll end up supporting mobile in the end.

I'm not entirely convinced the Post Processing Stack is suited for mobile, since it uses a lot of textures. Mobile devices are also generally very bandwidth limited, so performance may not be great. Though, this will depend on the effects (and the amount) used.

Before the final release I'll add an example for all the effects to the demo scene. I actually lost the source files, so I have to redo the entire thing :oops:

For the Sunshafts, the first parameter I would set is the color threshold. If you have a blue sky with a yellow sun, set the color to match the sun, this way the sunshafts will only radiate from the sun (not the entire skybox).

But to give you a better idea, here is a screenshot of the Adam Exterior Environment with the Sunshafts effect and its settings:

I can add a bilaterial method to the Blur effect in the future, for sure! What would be the benefit for you as opposed to the current blur methods?

I noticed yesterday the Edge Detection effect should have a fade start and end distance, so I'll add this to the Kuwahara effect as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

bgrz and TooManySugar like this.
  10. Ozer_Jigme

Ozer_Jigme

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply!

Re: Bilateral filter - as far as I understand it (not much at all) it's a bit different from a blur as it preserves the edges. Is there a way to do that with the current methods?

I actually played with a bilateral filter shader (as material on a plane in front of cameras). Results looked great, but performance is awful. I've attached it for reference.

Attached Files:

11. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Blurring while preserving edges in not something that's possible with the current blur effect. Which is more intended for scenarios like death- or end screens or fade in/out effects, just to give some examples.

Bilaterial blur is primarily used to eliminate noise, as it used in a lot of Ambient Occlusion effects. I don't think it has much use a direct effect. Perhaps to smoothen out noisy textures. But in that case, textures files should simply be de-noised, rather than doing so in realtime.

12. Ozer_Jigme

Ozer_Jigme

Ah ok thanks for the clarification. I'm using a NPR style that relies heavily on outlines and kuwahara, and the bilateral filter helped with noisy lines. Will try other tricks in the meantime!

13. bgrz

bgrz

Hey,
    I spent some time testing the asset, here's some feedback!

I've imported the asset 3-4 times in existing and fresh projects on 2 different computers (2018.2.0f1 and f2), demo scenes don't seem to be working - none of the effects get activated when entering the trigger volumes. I've looked into it, I think the reason is that the .asset files found in "Assets\PostProcessing\SC Post Effects\_Demo\Profiles" don't have any effects on them, apart from the Demo_Global which has 5 Unity's effects.

Also, the demo scenes are set up to use Water layer, I understand the reason behind this (PostProcessing doesn't exist by default so it can't be shipped with the demo files), however it might be worth pointing out in the demo scenes why it's set up that way.

Then I wasted quite a bit of time not being able to get Fog and Cloud Shadows working properly, turns out it was due to being on a wrong version of Post Processing stack, I had 2.0.7-preview. After updating to 2.0.11-preview everything worked fine. For posterity, the problem was that Fog/Cloud texture didn't tile, so you'd get only one rectangle of correct shadows/fog, with pixels at the edges stretching to infinity - updating Post Processing package fixes that.

However, I have the following outstanding issue with fog, there are these streaks (watch the upper half of the video, compression killed the effect a bit):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8yr579ed19ftfp/2018-08-17_01-52-24.mp4?dl=0
    The following video was taken while I was still at the older version of Post Processing stack, but it's easier to see:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkcz00ucm8wxc6o/2018-08-17_01-32-34.mp4?dl=0

All effects spew warnings when changing their values, dragging sliders, etc., e.g.: "No script asset for Fog. Check that the definition is in a file of the same name.", just that one line, no stacktrace.

That's it so far. I'll try it in VR tomorrow probably. Any plans to add rayleigh & mie scattering to fog?

14. bgrz

bgrz

Tried it in VR (forward, single-pass stereo), both fog and cloud shadows have 2 problems: the effect moves all over the world when moving the headset, and images aren't coherent different between left & right eye. The first problem can be seen here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhs724es9wf1ld1/2018-08-17_17-26-19.mp4?dl=0, the second one can't be seen outside VR that easily :)

15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Hi! Thank you for your detailed feedback! I can only test so many things, so feedback from other use cases is always appreciated and brings me up to speed ;)

I believe the profiles may blank out if SCPE is installed, and the profiles are viewed before the Post Processing Stack is installed. This is a little tricky, I may have to package the Demo contents, and have these unpacked only after the PPS installation.

I will clarify the use of the Water layer in a readme, it is in fact used for the purpose you described. In Unity 2018.1, there is a "PostProcessing" layer by default now, but this is not the case for older version. The installation window allows you to add this, perhaps I should just add this automatically when the SCPE package is installed.

The issue you described with Fog and Cloud Shadows was something I ran into before. I did some rigorous debugging and it appeared to be a PPS bug (the github download worked fine, but the Package Manager installation didn't), I filled a bug report but heard nothing back. Though with version 2.0.10 the issue was magically resolved ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Streaks are a side effect of tri-planar projection for the noise, I'll see if I can further improve this. I don't plan on adding any physical light scattering, as this would require a skybox as well. There are already plenty of other assets that offer the full atmospheric suite.

The "No script asset" warning will usually be thrown if a class name doesn't match the filename, though this is the case for all the effects, so it's a little puzzling. I have not yet found the cause for this and it seems to be limited to Unity 2018.2. It's a little annoying but ultimately harmless, though I hope to fix this in the future.

The rotation issue in VR I hadn't noticed, but that's simply because I hadn't tiled my head. I found out this is a common issue with one of the techniques I used, so there are a few potential fixes I can try out ;)

bgrz likes this.
  16. northernthumb

northernthumb

Hi, downloaded this yesterday and the effects are great. Bit of a nightmare to set up, due to reference issues, but moving to 2018.2.0b7, re-importing your package and letting that install the Unity Post Processing package did the trick.

However I cannot get the post processing to work in standalone builds. I'm on Windows 10 and have tried 32 and 64 bit builds. Not much in the way of error messages apart from this one:

"No script asset for Kuwahara. Check that the definition is in a file of the same name".

I'm using Post Processing version 2.0.11.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

17. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm still not entirely sure what causes this. I develop the package in Unity 5.6.1 and sync the files to 2018.1, this does work, but I may have to export it as a package from now on.

I have some things on my to-do (will publicize my Trello board once it's tidier), one of which is investigating this particular issue. I am planning on looking into this tomorrow and saturday, after which I will submit an update for the package with a few quality-of-life changes.

18. Ozer_Jigme

Ozer_Jigme

Hey again - little issue with the Fog effect: it renders over sprites / particles with transparency.
    Anything I'm missing in the settings somewhere?

19. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Unlike, the default Unity fog, the fog is a post effect, it draws over the final image displayed on the screen. As such it doesn't do any sorting between objects.

You can force the effect to exclude transparent objects and sprites (which have no depth) by opening the Fog.cs file and replacing the enum "PostProcessEvent.BeforeStack" with "PostProcessEvent.BeforeTransparent", then save the file.

Unfortunately this behavior has to be hard coded, so it has to be changed in the script file.

20. northernthumb

northernthumb

Thanks for the speedy response. Look forward to the update.

In the mean time, I have a workaround which adds the Kuwahara shader to the camera by hand at run time, and it works like a charm except that it only draws in the bottom right quadrant. My shader knowledge is zero, but some googling suggests the shader is working with an origin at (0,0) when it should be working at (-1, -1). Any idea how I can fix this as a super quick workaround in the meantime?

21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I assume you mean using the shader as a legacy image effect (OnRenderImage)? The post processing stack uses a different vertex layout for the quad that is rendered to the screen (I believe its two triangles). The shaders are made to work with the PPS, so they cannot be used as a legacy image effect for this reason.

Alternatively, you can remove the SC Post Effects folder, and re-import it from the asset store. This has a good chance of working, since the PPS is already installed at this point, so any scripts should have correct references.

I have started working on an installer, which unpacks the SCPE scripts/demo only after the PPS is installed in the project, rather than before. It's a little unconventional for an asset store package, but ensures everything is installed in the correct order. This will be added in the update following the next (0.5.2) since I want to it work silky smooth :)

22. northernthumb

northernthumb

thanks again and you're spot on, i was using the 'old style' OnRenderImage method. Ported to the new and works a charm.

As for why your Kuwahara isn't working in standalone builds, I'm really stumped. I'm now using your KuwaharaShader.shader and a c# class based entirely on your Kuwahara.cs, only with renamed class and struct names, so as not to conflict with yours. Then I have two post processing layers in game, one using your Kuwahara and one using mine and mine works and yours doesn't. FWIW, I also tried one or two of your other shaders and they don't work in a stand alone build either. Lastly, none of the shaders are working in the demo rooms scene. Hope some of that info is helpful in tracking down the cause of my issues.

23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted v0.5.2

- Repacked contents for Unity 2018.1+
    - "PostProcessing" layer is automatically added to the project if not present

Fixed:
    - Build error for Radial Blur effect
    - Build error for Lens Flares effect
    - Fog noise streaking over skybox when distance fog is disabled

Next update will introduce an installer, to ensure the Post Processing Stack is installed before all the scripts and profiles are imported. This will avoid blank profiles and broken script serialization.

The process will look as following:
    - Import from the asset store
    - Installation screen is presented
    - Post Processing Stack installation
    - Unpack SCPE files (You can uncheck any effects you don't want at this point)
    - (Optional) Unpack demo contents

24. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

There appears to be an issue with the Edge Detection effect when using HDRP, causing the edges to flicker. I've managed to fix it, so I'll include this in next update. If this is on fire for anyone, feel free to send me a PM with your invoice number to get this fix early on.

Meanwhile I'm still fleshing out the installer process, as I mentioned before, this is to ensure the Post Processing Stack is installed before the effect scripts are compiled and the demo profiles are added. This otherwise can cause serialization issues.

(This is what it looks like for Unity 2017.4 and older)

25. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitting v0.6.0 Beta today.

Important: Before updating, delete the SC Post Effects folder first, this new version cannot be installed over previous. I don't anticipate this to be necessary in the future ;)

Changelog
    - Package now features an installer window when importing the package in a new project (documentation updated)

Added:
    - Edge Detection, start and end distance mode
    - Context menu to Camera component for adding a Post Processing Layer

Fixed:
    - Profile serialization issues causing effects to be removed when Unity closes
    - "No script asset" warnings
    - Edge Detection: flickering when using a Scriptable Render Pipeline

26. MaeL0000

MaeL0000

Would the edge detection work on the output of a webcam feed? Or does it rely on geometry?

27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

All the edge detection method need scene geometry to work with. Except for the luminance-based method, which works without, but generally looks different from the other methods.

28. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Unity 2018.3.0 beta is out now. There are a few script errors thrown in this version, but they are very fixable, so I'll submit a minor update soon.

I'm also be getting a Mac again soon, so I'll be able to test macOS compatibility again (I'm fairly sure there might be some issues with file paths at the moment).

29. Ozer_Jigme

Ozer_Jigme

Hey - noticed the documentation mentions a Sketch FX and screen space toon shading. Super exciting for a new project. Any chance of seeing some kind of preview to understand if we should change our asset-creation process?

30. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

They're both very much a WIP, the sketch effect is based on this paper, but I always to make something like this, so I may end up with two separate effects.

I'm still trying to compose a screen-space lighting model, after which I can do a whole host of new things, including toon shading.

chiapet1021 likes this.
  31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

v0.6.1 is now available.

- Checked compatibility with Post Processing Stack v2.0.12
    - Minor fixes for macOS and Unity 2018.3 Beta

WIP: I've managed to pass a 1:1 copy of skybox to the fog shader. This means the skybox can control the fog color, for seamless blending. It'll work with both cubemap and procedural skies.

The limitation is that detailed skybox horizons are very noticeable, and basically look like a fade effect, but I'm going to try and see if I can cheaply blur it out

Karearea likes this.
  32. Ozer_Jigme

Ozer_Jigme

Feature idea? I've been looking at how to control a camera's frame rate through script, but can't get anything to work. Is it something a post processing effect could do?

Someone else had a similar idea.

Note: don't want to use Application.targetFrameRate or render textures, it's just to render the camera frames.

33. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Like a low quality security camera? It's probably doable using post processing, but it really comes down to scripting in the end.

I believe you could achieve it by disabling the camera component and manually calling Camera.Render() on it a few times per second through a co-routine. I recall using this in the past to limit an off-screen camera to 5fps.

34. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The "skybox" color mode for the fog is all wrapped up. I will include this in next update (0.7.0).

(Image also uses the Sunshaft effect)

The limitation still stands that it's not suited for detailed skyboxes. And I've noticed that skyboxes that have a sun disk will have it appear through any geometry (such as mountains), seeing how it works internally, this is expected. I got around it by using a flare asset on my sun light, so that it's separated from the skybox and doesn't contribute to the fog colors.

Karearea likes this.
  35. Karearea

Karearea

Hi, thanks for persevering with the skybox colour fog. Looking great!

I've just purchased a copy of the asset and I'm really happy with the effects. I only have an issue with the lens flare effect, which seems to be removed whenever Unity is closed (or I do a build). I see there's a bug fix above in an earlier version, it's worth pointing out this is the only effect that suffers.

36. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Happy to hear everything is to your liking! Thanks for the headsup about the Lens Flares effect. I had previously made a fix regarding serialization. Off the bat I couldn't see anything wrong with Lens Flares, but I just noticed the script file doesn't match the class name, that's an oversight on my part!

You can resolve this by renaming the file from "Lensflares" to "LensFlares". I'll make sure to do so for next version update as well.

Karearea likes this.
  37. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Preliminary changelog for v0.7.0. I'm finishing things up, so it should be available some time next week.

Roadmap can be viewed here: https://trello.com/b/J5mEv8Cn/sc-post-effects

- Added tooltips to all effect parameters
    - The Help window now allows you to reconfigure the shaders for either Post Processing installations (GitHub/Package Manager). This doesn't force 2018.1+ users to use the Package Manager installation anymore.

- Colorize
    * Applies a color gradient to the image (eg. night or thermal vision)​
    - Fog
    * Added skybox color mode​
    - Light Streaks
    * Fixed intensity parameter behavior
    * Fixed vertical direction being too short​
    - Lens Flares
    * Fixed serialization issue​
    - Color Split
    * Brought offset value into 0-1 range, for consistency​
    - Posterize
    * Brought intensity value into 0-1 range, for consistency​
    - Danger
    * Removed refraction parameter​
    - Kuwahara
    * Added start/end distance to Depth Fade mode​
    - Dithering
    * Added Small/Big size options, since values other than 0.5 and 1 induce an interference pattern
    * Effect is now executed before tonemapping for improved luminance threshold response​
    - Pixelize
    * Reconfigured to work with dynamic resolutions​
    - Refraction
    * Added option in the absence of a DUDV map, where a supplied normal map can be converted in the shader​
    - Scanlines
    * Added animation speed parameter​

Added a colorize effect, which applies a color gradient to the image (eg. thermal or night vision)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Ported the "User LUT" (Look up Texture) effect from v1 to v2, which allows color grading through traditional LUT strips. The new Color Grading effect in v2 only accepts LUTs in CUBE format. This way, you can use LUTs from the various libraries offered on the store.

I've supplemented it with a distance-based feature, where two LUTs can be blended over a distance (Near & Far).

https://i.imgur.com/4ZZjQIm.gif (Image embedding seems to be broken)

Additionally, I'm working on a tool that extracts a LUT from a screenshot automatically. So that color correction can be done in Photoshop (or any other tool) and saved to a LUT.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  39. Onevisiongames

Onevisiongames

Very good to see more additions, the distance blend lut feature sounds awesome, this is one of those small things you didn't even know you always wanted it. And the Skybox Fog feature is also very handy and with the blur even better. Can't wait to use it!

Also any idea to make an option to reduce fog noise stretching on vertical planes? But just an option because it's still something to use artistically.
    https://imgur.com/a/riGdaxh

Another suggestion for the Sunshaft Effect, how about a noise feature in this too?

Keep up the great work. :)

40. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is tricky, since the noise is in fact 2D projected from top-down, unlike true volumetric fog which uses a 3D noise texture. So in your case of 90 degree vertical surfaces it will be most noticeable. Unfortunately, the same counts for noise in the Sunshafts effect, it is possible, but not in way that looks good when the camera moves around ;)

Edit: LUT effect will be available next update, currently working on the functionality to screenshot the scene-view and insert a neutral LUT into it as to not needing to do this manually.

41. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

A headsup! Upgrading the Post Processing Stack to v2.0.15 in Unity 2018.3 Beta will throw the following error:

"failed to open source file: 'PostProcessing/Shaders/StdLib.hlsl' at line 6". The code that sets the relative shader file paths was disabled in 2.0.15 for Unity 2018.3. I'm not sure why, but this may be a temporary fix for the beta. Hopefully this will be ironed out in the future. 2.0.14 works fine though!

42. tuncturel

tuncturel

Hi there,

Just got your package and couldn't set it up correctly.

1 - First I got the aforementioned error with the dll in my Unity v 2018 -> failed to open source file: 'PostProcessing/Shaders/StdLib.hlsl' at line 6. I read the comments here. I tried everything recommended here and it didn't help.

2 - Then I went back to my other computer which is running a 2017 version of unity. I downloaded your package here throught the asset store and got a wide variety of other errors: The type or namespace name 'Min' cold not be found. 'GenerateAOMap' takes '5' arguments

Is there a solution? What am I missing?

Kind regards,
    Tunc

43. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Could you tell me which installation of the Post Processing Stack v2 you're using (GitHub or through Package Manager)? And which 2018 version?

I just checked in 2017 and could replicate the same error. I've fixed this and re-uploaded the Post Processing Package, which you can grab here: http://staggart.xyz/public/PostProcessingStack_v2.unitypackage

44. tuncturel

tuncturel

Hi again,

I opened the package you linked in the 2017 version and then imported the SC package again through the 2017 version of Unity's Asset Store. This time everything installed without throwing errors.

Unfrotunately I still can't add the effects to my own scenes. I decided to try the SCPE_DemoRooms.unity demo scene you provided. Unfortunately the effects in this scene do not work and although I'm not getting any errors I'm gettint the following warnings when I run this scene:

1-The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing! (An object named [generated-meshes] is throwing this. I couldn't locate it physically.)
    2-The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object '[generated-meshes]') is missing!
    3-Font size and style overrides are only supported for dynamic fonts.

I really appreciate the speed of your responses.

Kind regards,
    Tunc

45. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Glad to hear it!

The demo scene was built using the RealtimeCSG plugin, so some scripts are missing. This is harmless and doesn't affect any of the functionality. With the first release all demo scenes will be rebuilt entirely using Maya.

Shaders errors are a little different from script errors, since they might only appear once. If you select any one of the effect shaders, the inspector will highlight if there are any errors.

Should an error read something along the lines of "Failed to open source file", please open the help window (Help-> SC Post Effects). And check which installation of the Post Processing Stack you have installed (either GitHub or Package Manager).

At which point you can reconfigure the shaders for the correct installation by pressing one of the buttons. Essentially this will rewrite parts of the shaders so the file paths point to the correct location.

Apologies for the mishap, it appears that the shaders were installed for the Package Manager installation, but you had the GitHub download installed, is that correct?

46. marcos

marcos

Hi there,

Been using SCPE recently, awesome collection of post fx already.

Would love something like this to be added in the future:

https://github.com/OCASM/SSMS

Kindest,
    Mark

Onevisiongames likes this.
  47. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks for the suggestion! Kino bloom is essentially the bloom effect that is implemented into the Post Processing Stack, so I should be able to reuse a lot of the necessary code to achieve this.

I've added it to my trello board meanwhile. https://trello.com/b/J5mEv8Cn/sc-post-effects

Onevisiongames and marcos like this.
  48. Karearea

Karearea

Hi,

I need to do this, however in the skybox colour mode, there's what looks like a depth-clearing bug. Using LWRP and Unity 2018.3.0b7.

Cheers!

49. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@StaggartCreations Fog effect has sorting issues with standard particle shaders in HDRP, would you please take a look at that! Great asset BTW ;)

50. thelebaron

thelebaron

Hi, may I ask how exactly did you fix this? I'm kind of a shader novice and am getting what I assume is the same error with my own shader.

edit - alright just picked this up, couldnt resist after seeing all those features!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018