Search Unity

SC Post Effects Pack [Built-in/URP] - 34 additional effects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Jan 18, 2018.

1. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This package extends Unity's Post Processing Stack (v2) with 33 additional screen effects. Aiming to provide visual enhancers or feedback effects.

[Snipped. Please see the store page for up-to-date information]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    NotaNaN, Gametyme and LennartJohansen like this.
  2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Beta process:
    • Check mobile compatibility
    • Auto-install PostProcessing package in Unity 2018.1+
    • Revised demo scene containing all effects
    Changelogs:
    Added:
    - Blur effect
    - Ambient Occlusion 2D effect
    - Lens flares effect (expiremental)
    - Mosaic effect

Fixed:
    - Refraction offsetting entire screen in some cases

Changed:
    - Converted sample refraction normal maps to DUDV maps

Added:
    - Intensity parameter to Screen Gradient and Overlays effects
    - Demo scene

Added:
    - Volume blending example scene
    - Volume trigger example scene (+ script)

Changed:
    - Single-Pass Stereo VR fixes for:
    *Edge Detection
    *Blur
    *Overlay
    *Color Split
    *Double Vision
    *Lensflares
    - Color Depth effect was renamed to "Posterize"
    - Clearer instructions window in Unity 2018.1

Removed:
    - Bloom buffer option from Lens Flare effect

Added:
    - Auto installation of Post Processing Stack package in Unity 2018.1+

- New effects:
    * Radial Blur
    * Lens flares
    - Light streaks:
    * High quality mode
    * Direction parameter
    - Double Vision:
    * Edges mode
    - Edge Detection:
    * Distance fade parameter

Changed:
    - Lensflares was renamed to "Light streaks"
    - Color Washing was renamed to "3D Hue Shift"
    - Improved threshold behaviour for Light Streaks effect
    - Blur, code improvements
    - Certains effect now skip rendering when effect isn't visible

Fixed:
    - "DX11 Assertion failed" error for all shaders

(Sorry, I stopped updating the changelog here. The full changelog is always included in the package)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    LennartJohansen likes this.
  3. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted the package for approval! This will probably take between 2-4 weeks, before it is reviewed.

I've added a "Blur" effect, which I will add in the following update.

If anyone has any suggestions for any effects that have wide uses, I'm open to suggestions!

EDIT: Also added a Box blur method next to this Gaussian blur, it's a lot cheaper ;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    MarkusGod likes this.
  4. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Added an Ambient Occlusion effect (LBAO) designed for 2D games:

It could also be used for a 3D scene, but it's luminance-based, so the result wouldn't be a great as the default AO post effect.

5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Added a pseudo lens flares effect. It has the option to either use the bloom buffer, or the scene's luminance.

Exaggerated example:

6. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

7. Dolzen

Dolzen

Is this asset working with unity 2018.1 and SRP?

8. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I've tested it in 2018.1b9 in the new Unity Fontaineblaue demo (which uses the SRP) without any issues.

But in 2018.1b10 some things changed, which causes some minor issues. So I'm submitting a separate version for 2018.1 today, which will work in the latest beta version. Due to GDC, the approval time may be longer than usual (1-4 business days).

I'll check again for any errors and issue when 2018.1 releases, which should be somewhere this month :)

hippocoder and elbows like this.
  9. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Including a demo scene with this update, which allows you to preview all the effects

v0.2.0
    Added:
    - Intensity parameter to Screen Gradient and Overlays effects
    - Demo scene

10. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Updated trailer, which also shows the two new demo scenes that demonstrate the use of volume blending and triggering (script included)

I have an Oculus Rift on the way, so I'll be testing out VR compatibility pretty soon!

NeatWolf likes this.
  11. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Changelog for version 0.3.0

Added:
    - Volume blending example scene
    - Volume trigger example scene (+ script)

Changed:
    - Single-Pass Stereo VR fixes for:
    *Edge Detection
    *Blur
    *Overlay
    *Color Split
    *Double Vision
    *Lensflares
    - Color Depth effect was renamed to "Posterize"
    - Clearer instructions window in Unity 2018.1

Removed:
    - Bloom buffer option from Lens Flare effect

I notice with VR, that some effects will not look correct in the Game View, but will in the headset. Currently, the only effects that don't work in VR are Ambient Occlusion 2D and Box Blur (Gaussian blur works fine).

NeatWolf likes this.
  12. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Looks great!
    Is there any chance to have a working demo download link (Windows)? :)
    Once I'm going to have some more spare time I'd love to test it on my VR devices as well :)

13. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Sure thing! Here is an executable of the demo rooms scene: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rmzku1oylpj2jj/SCPE_DemoRooms.rar?dl=1

I couldn't enable VR, since when I start the build there is only a black screen. This also happened in an empty project and and scene, even the VR samples project. So there must be something wrong with my Oculus set up...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    NeatWolf likes this.
  14. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks for the link! I'm sold!

I'm pretty sure all VR and project issues are going to be solved as soon as the asset gets out of its beta stage :)

(collateral detail: enforce player's Y position in the demo, since it's possible to climb the capsule in the gradient fog room. And, there's no gravity to enter other rooms :) )

15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Working on the next update, I've revised some of the installation process, if the Post Processing Stack is not already installed in the project, it will automatically be installed through the Package Manager. Currently, when importing the package, the console is flooded with errors until the Post Processing Stack is manually installed.

Other than that, I will be adding two effects designed for the Lightweight Render Pipeline: a bloom and vignette effect. The intend is to achieve a similar effect to the built-in Unity version but at a smaller performance cost.

I'll also be looking into a lens flare effect. The current "Lens Flares" effect is being renamed to "Light Streaks", which is more fitting :p

Before the final version can be released I still have to fix the "Assertion failed" error that keeps popping up

NeatWolf likes this.
  16. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I was about to make a feature request for them. Can't be happier :)

Actually the official versions are giving me headaches on mobile + Oreo for some reason, but not on older mobiles.
    And, the bloom FX is not so evident, especially with HDR on, for some reason.

Looking forward the next update!

One effect that I always can't find is retina persistence. I had to code it myself on other engines.
    I'm not talking about getting blinded by flashbangs, I'm talking about the light trails left by incandescent lights when they move. Sort of a mixed bloom/motion blur, but I usually approximated it with applying a threshold on the current frame to cut just the brightest bits, saving it for the next frame, adding it on top, and then fading the buffered image for later use.
    Now that I'm describing it, it's more like a full screen motion blur with a threshold and a very slow fade out.
    Just an idea :)

17. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This sounds similar to the old Unity "Camera motion blur" image effects. I tried to recreate it, but didn't manage to translate it to the new command buffer structure.

I'll give it another shot at some point, after which it should be relatively easy to make the "Light trails" effect you described.

18. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Making headway on the Lightweight Bloom effect. Can achieve similar effects to the Unity Bloom. Because of the technique used, the range is limited, so cinematic bloom is out of the question. Then again, anyone going for "Lightweight" isn't going for cinematic.

Haven't benchmarked the performance difference yet, in theory there are fewer and simpler steps involved, so it should be faster.

NeatWolf likes this.
  19. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Lens flares is coming along, this image uses Unity Bloom+SCPE Light streaks+SCPE Lensflares

The effect takes a color gradient which colors the ghosting effect depending on its distance. But can also take on the color of the light source.

Still need to add halo's though

20. Karearea

Karearea

Hi,

Any possibility of an effect that blends 'fog' to the skybox, similar to https://github.com/keijiro/KinoFog both in deferred and forward? Thinking of something that would work with the LWRP, but looks outwardly similar to the fog system in the HDRP.

Alternatively, blending to a given cubemap or similar would be equally useful.

Cheers!

21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The current FogGradient effect still has a lot of potential for improvement where it can extend the default Unity fog. Something like height fog is a nobrainer to add ;) Though I don't intend to make it as complex as a true volumetric fog effect, since there are already plenty of dedicated solutions for that.

I didn't realize the HDRP had a different fog implementation, so I'll have to take a look and see what's what!

22. Karearea

Karearea

Thanks for the response- I certainly agree volumetric fog is out of scope, I suppose what I was hoping for was more a way to smoothly hide distant objects against a cube map skybox.

HDRP takes an interesting approach to fog, it’s more of a complete approach to atmosphere which does include both fogging and volumetrics, and aims to simplify transparent shader behaviour in all that.

23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I've been on a pretty tight schedule recently, so I'm hoping to finish next update soon, as everything is basically done. I ended up scrapping the lightweight effects, since these turned out to be a smidge slower than Unity's effects, defeating their purpose.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  24. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitting version 0.4.0 Beta:

Added:
    - Auto installation of Post Processing Stack package in Unity 2018.1+

- New effects:
    * Radial Blur
    * Lens flares​
    - Light streaks:
    * High quality mode
    * Direction parameter​
    - Double Vision:
    * Edges mode​
    - Edge Detection:
    * Distance fade parameter​

Changed:
    - Lensflares was renamed to "Light streaks"
    - Color Washing was renamed to "3D Hue Shift"
    - Improved threshold behaviour for Light Streaks effect
    - Blur, code improvements
    - Certains effect now skip rendering when effect isn't visible

Fixed:
    - "DX11 Assertion failed" error for all shaders

Demo scenes haven't been updated, which will be redone for next version.

Under development/research:
    - Fog: skybox blending and height fog
    - Sunshafts
    - Sketch effect
    - Screen-space toon shading

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Korindian likes this.
  25. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Finished the Sun Shafts effect, this'll be available for next update!

By attaching a "SunshaftsCaster" script to a Directional Light, it can be set as the source for the effect.

TooManySugar likes this.
  26. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Revamped the current "Fog Gradient" effect. With the addition of height fog and density variation. Fog color over distance is still possible through a gradient.

@Karearea skybox blending wasn't a success, the post processing stack doesn't support cubemaps, I have not yet found a way to access the (procedural) skybox otherwise.

The fog noise gave me the idea for a clouds shadows effect. Seeing at it is a screen-space effect it will outperform a light cookie or projector by miles!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    TooManySugar, NeatWolf and Karearea like this.
  27. MS80

MS80

Great Asset!!!

Could you add "Blend Modes" (like Multiply, Add, Screen, etc.) to "Overlay" FX? Maybe some tiling option would be cool, too?

28. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thank you for the feedback!

I have blending modes for the overlay effect on my to-do list, but not at a high priority right now. But rest assured these will be available before the final release. Adding a tiling parameter will be easy peazy, so I'll see to that as well :)

29. Crocomodo

Crocomodo

I can't set edge detection size to 0.5. Size 1 is too thick. I'm using Unity 2017.3.

30. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there!

Yesterday I tested the package on my Rift (Win64Pro, 1070, Unity 2018.2.0f2), but single pass rendering glitches when I enable Dynamic/Adaptive resolution on my central eye and base camera rig.

Is there any chance of adding support for such feature? :)

Also, since Bloom in Unity PPS2 is always kind of... bugged for some reason, would you consider adding a "Fast Bloom" FX also supporting SPR? I'm currently using a 3rd party Bloom... which kind of defeats the purpose of using the PPS :-/

Best,
    Alessandro

31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is unfortunately a limitation of the edge detection technique, since it can only increase of decrease the edge width by 1 pixel, which is why the parameter doesn't allow for decimal points.

If you zoom in on the game view, you can see the width is increased by 1 pixel each time (see attachment). It may be worth to maximize your game view, as this increases the resolution. It gives a closer impression of how it would look in a build at full-screen.

Hi Alessandro,

I can't say I'm familiar with adaptive resolution, but if that's something that's not supported by Unity's single-pass stereo rendering then it's not something I provide a fix for. Could you describe what kind of glitches you're encountering? I'd be curious to replicate this.

I actually made a lightweight bloom effect, intended for low-end devices, but it ended up being a little bit slower than Unity's bloom effect, so I binned it. You could ask the 3rd party author to add an interface for the PPS for their effect, that way you can still keep everything in one place ;)

Attached Files:

32. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Sure!

Setup:
    • Oculus Rift (Win64Pro, nVidia 1070, Unity 2018.2.0f2)
    • Package Manager: See Picture
    • Asset Store: Oculus Asset, Amplify Bloom, Multistory Dungeons
    • JetBrains Rider support
    (I forgot to tick Allow Dynamic Resolution back on for the screenshot)

Warning when adding LensFlares to the PPS2.0 after correctly setting the global volume as per config window.

At this point Lens Flare Auto-Removes by itself from the stack when going back to the editor.

Running again the game:

Again, split rendering, and the FX gets rendered twice(vertically split) for each eye, resulting in the FX rendering 4 "columns", 2 per eye. Actually each single eye sees this double image with quadrupled FX.

I tested other SC Effects and do work fine with Single Pass Rendering (apparently). Also, disabling the Light Streaks fixes the issue.

EDIT:
    Apparently not, as soon as I trigger some slowdowns and the renderscale changes to accomodate, looks like SC Effects somehow conflict with Amplify Bloom (this is the Posterize FX, which initially seems to work) fine along everything else.

I'm unsure of what's going on.

Apparently:
    - Lens Flares doesn't work with my Unity install/project setup
    - Light Streaks somehow overrides Single Pass Rendering forcing Stereo Rendering, breaking the FX chain.
    - Possibly, some operation done by SC Effects leave the stack in a "dirty" state (I still know nothing about Processing Stack programming) for other non-stack FX when Adaptive Resolution is on.
    - Amplify Bloom works fine with PS1 and PS2 Preview filters from Unity Technologies in SPR and Dynamic Resolution on.
    - I found no info about Single Pass Rendering not working with Dynamic Resolution, which is also a feature in the Oculus Unity Package, and no warning gets issued with doing so. Also, it works with PS1 and PS2
    - Bloom FX from Unity Technologies is currently the only bugged FX with this particular (yet, not unusual since it can save performance with a little overhead and it's a Unity 2017 feature, originally only available on XBOX and now on Oculus)

I can't say my assumptions are correct, but at the moment I can't use SC Filters on my project setup until something get fixed or I figure out what is conflicting :(

EDIT:

I disabled both dynamic resolution and ABloom and still Light Streaks breaks Single Pass Rendering. With or Without Amplify bloom.
    In such chaos I noticed Amplify Bloom was still affecting the geometry appropriately, despite the kaleidoscopic FX.
    Removing both Amplify Bloom and Dynamic resolution still triggers the issue:
    (This is Left Eye only)

Other SC Effects seem to work perfectly fine with SPR., so I believe it's something in the implementation of that specific FX. Solving that may help to proactively fix other issues with similar new SC Effects in the future.

EDIT: Beautify (Bloom etc.) from Kronnect seems to be more SC Effects friendly/compatible than Amplify's I'm sticking with that :)
    The Light Streak issue still happens tho.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    bronsoncox likes this.
  33. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thank you for the detailed information, that's very helpful! I'll setup an OVR project and see where things go wrong exactly so I look into a fix.

If the Light Streaks effect is set to "Performance" mode, that may be the cause since it uses a box-blurring technique, which fails to work in VR. Either way, I'll look into what's causing this!

NeatWolf likes this.
  34. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I don't remember about setting any of the parameters of Light Streaks the second time, but yes, I guess most (in general) effects using any kind of blur (which also includes Bloom from Unity Technologies which is currently broken) may require extra care in VR, special care in VR and SRP, and extreme care in SRP with Dynamic resolution :)
    Thanks for the support! :)

35. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm looking into it at the moment. Started testing in 5.6.1, 2017.3 and finally 2018.2 with the Oculus Utilities asset. I did not manage to reproduce the same issue as you encountered. But as soon as I set the Max Render Scale on the OVR Manager to anything higher than 1, the effects start to push the image towards the lower left corner.

Turns out that most effects use the regular screen UV, rather than the stereo UV. This was no issue for VR before, but evidently this makes a difference when using adaptive resolution. I made this change to one effect and this solved that particular issue. There's a good chance this will solve the issue you're having as well.

I also get the warning about "No script asset". This is usually when a script file doesn't match the class name. The fact that "LensFlares" was renamed to "LightStreaks" at some point probably broke serialization in some way. I'll have to see how I can resolve this.

I will make these changes for VR for the next update, but this release is not ready yet, so I will DM you the files for Lensflares and Light streaks instead ;)

NeatWolf likes this.
  36. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thank you so much Jonathan, I really appreciate your professionalism :)

Looking forward next fix!
    Thanks again,

best,
    Alessandro

37. JustZht

JustZht

Hi, just bought your asset and had an error when importing on my Mac, just a kind reminder, it seems that you forget to change the 'correctBaseFolder' to 'CORRECT_BASE_FOLDER' on line 503 ;)

38. Gruguir

Gruguir

You may want to focus on 2017.4 LTS version, i can't get it to work with that version.

Shader error in 'Hidden/SC Post Effects/Color Split': failed to open source file: 'PostProcessing/Shaders/StdLib.hlsl' at line 6 (on d3d11)

39. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Granted, I don't test on my Mac as often as I should. I'm in the process of selling it to get one that's compatible with Metal. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll make this change for next update.

If an error like this presents itself it means that you are using the 2018.1+ version of the package, which uses the library paths for the post processing installation from the Package Manager, rather than the one from GitHub.

I'm not sure why... but the asset store seems to have downloaded the wrong version for you, or you have downgraded the project from 2018.1 to 2017.4.

Currently, the downloaded SCPE package is cached in: C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Staggart Creations\ShadersFullscreen Camera Effects\. If you delete the file then download the package from within 2017.4, you should get the correct version.

In the future I will include the functionality to automatically fix all the shader paths, should the package and Unity version mismatch :)

40. Gruguir

Gruguir

Thanks, i didn't thought about that, but i've seen it before with other assets. Also, i'm looking forward fixed spsr effects :) best

41. Crocomodo

Crocomodo

I can't add Depth of field to Global Post-process Volume. How can I fix this?

42. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm not sure. If it's grayed out then it's already been added to the profile. It should show up here:

Crocomodo likes this.
  43. Crocomodo

Crocomodo

Sorry to waste your time. It's already been added but I didn't see it.

StaggartCreations likes this.
  44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted version 0.5.0 Beta, which will hopefully be approved in a few days.

Due to the nature of these changes, effects on existing profiles may be removed when updated and will have to be re-added

Validated support up to Unity 2018.2 and Post Processing Stack 2.0.10.

Added:
    - New effects
    * Sunshafts, radiate sun rays from a directional light and skybox
    * Fog, distance and height-based fog with 2D density noise
    * Clouds shadows, projects a texture over the world (cloud example texture included)​
    - Screen Gradient
    * Color fields option
    * Rotation parameter​
    - Overlay
    * Blending modes
    * Tiling parameter​

Fixed:
    - Single-Pass Stereo rendering fixes for:
    * Light Streaks
    * Blur (Box method)​

Changed:
    - Effects dropdown is now grouped into categories
    - All effects are now in the SCPE namespace to avoid possible conflicts
    - Edge Detection will show a warning for unsupported modes when using LWRP/HDRP
    - Ambient Occlusion 2D and Lightshafts are automatically disabled in VR

Removed:
    - Fisheye effect (replaced by Unity's Lens Distortion effect)
    - Fog Gradient effect (replaced by Fog effect)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  45. tapawafo

tapawafo

Does this fog have any aliasing issues when used with MSAA? And is it single-pass stereo VR rendering compatible?

Thanks.

46. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Good question, since MSAA doesn't apply to the depth buffer, pixels where depth greatly differ (mainly between horizon and skybox) will be unfogged. When using any other AA technique, this is not the case.

The effect was tested with SPSR and there were no strange artifacts, it renders correctly for both eyes.

47. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Just bought this pack and I am impressed so far. There are some bugs though:
    In my tests it's completely broken and throws out the "Trying to get a relatively sized RenderBuffer without an active camera" error. The effects work in the scene view though, it's simply black in the game view.

While also testing I couldn't make the effects to work in HDR. It seemed like the Threshold was bound to the LDR and didn't have any kind of HDR values to it.

48. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Haven't seen that error before! It may, as it says, there is no active camera, but as far as I know, the Post Processing Stack doesn't run without a camera. And I'm sure you must have an active camera ;)

Are you using a render pipeline, or "legacy" render? Also, which Unity version are you using?

To which threshold parameter are you referring?

49. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Sorry, forgot to mention it: I get that error in HDRP, the latest preview release, Unity version 2018.2.0.f3. I get that error only when adding one of the effects from the package. Such an error doesn't happen on vanilla or LWRP.

By threshold I mean the Threshold slider on, for example, the Lens Flares effect. It behaves as if it has the LDR as an input. Every pixel, no matter how bright in HDR range it is, gets cut off with a threshold of 1 or more. It obviously shouldn't be like that, anyone would want to have the Lens Flare and other similar effects to be applied only to the brightest pixels. Is it maybe beacuse the effect is listed in the After Stack and the framebuffer gets tonemapped, thus not allowing to use the raw HDR data?

Attached Files:

50. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

And indeed it was. By changing the rendering order to "BeforeStack" it now receives proper HDR values (in this image the Threshold was set to 2).

Attached Files: