Search Unity

SC Post Effects Pack [Built-in/URP] - 34 additional effects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Jan 18, 2018.

1. rrahim

rrahim

This is a tough decision, but it seems as though all efforts are being made toward making URP the new standard pipeline as soon as possible.
    Here's hoping the URP version comes along smoothly, as I'm now transitioning my entire project across to URP as well.

StaggartCreations likes this.
  2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted version 2.0.0. Change log and notes:

Will continue to work on an update that adds URP compatibilty. Turns out I can incorporate this into the current package, by simply having the scripts be overwritten through unpacking a .unitypackage file. This is more straightforward than creating a separate asset.

If only the URP is installed, the volume system is used in conjunction with render features (have to be manually added unfortunately). If both the URP and Post Processing package are installed, the Post Processing Stack is used.

3. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Congratulations on the new release!

I had a question about the fog effect, sorry if it has been answered before. Is it possible to modify your fog effect to make it run after opaque geometry but before transparent geometry, as opposed to running late, together with most other postprocessing effects? The purpose of that would be to allow transparent materials like glass and particles to maintain full opacity even when their backdrop has significant depth (fog attenuation). I'm aware that this could give raise to the opposite problem of objects like smoke and windows staying visible through the fog, but that's easy to fix on my end by including a cheap fog attenuation approximation into my custom transparent shaders.

Edit: Oh, turns out that was easy (see attached gif). :)
    The only question that remains, then, is this: given a fragment position in the fragment shader, could you confirm for me how to calculate fragment depth with exactly same scale and distribution as results of SAMPLE_DEPTH_TEXTURE? To ensure perfect match with your postprocessing, the input has to be exact same, no matter whether a depth texture or fragment pos is used as a starting point.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  4. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, that's exactly right! This unfortunately has to be hard-coded, in the URP this injection point can be exposed in a UI, which is a nice improvement.

What you're looking for depends on the coordinate space the fragment position is in. I assume this is for a shader applied to an object, rather than a post processing shader?

If you have the world-space position, you can get the (radial) distance to the camera, relative to the far-clipping plane to get linear depth. This doesn't match 100% though, but best I can think of.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float4 worldPos = mul(unity_ObjectToWorld, float4(v.vertex.xyz, 1.0));
    2. float relDistance = length(worldPos.xyz - _WorldSpaceCameraPos.xyz ) * _ZBufferParams.w;

5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted version 2.1.0, change log:

Added support for the Universal Render Pipeline's integrated post processing. (Uninstall Post Processing package and re-run installer to make use of this).

Ported effects:
    - Blur
    - Edge Detection
    - LUT
    - Scanlines
    - Sharpen
    - Sketch
    - Sunshafts

More effects will follow through consecutive updates.

Note that the URP doesn't support custom effects to be executed before built-in effects are, because of this LUT will "mute" the Bloom effect. This also prevents Light Streaks and Lens Flares from being ported.

Added:
    - Radius parameter to Sharpen effect

camta005 likes this.
  6. Immu

Immu

Nice work!

I'm still waiting on my 2019.2 before jumping directly to 2019.4 with all changes there are. Happy to see that you're porting your asset through that :)

Quick suggestion: I've been trying to modify the kaleidoscope to do a simple mirror screen effect (like, simply the screen scale like... inverted width, without split ^^) but well...maths are complicated XP

If you have any time or will to do an additional mirror effect... : P (for older version, that is, not URP one ^^)
    Thanks!

7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted
    You can modify the kaleidoscope shader at line 29 from: float phi = atan2(sc.y, sc.x); to float phi = atan2(sc.y, -sc.x);. This will mirror the screen horizontally ;)

Immu likes this.
  8. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted version 2.1.1, changelog:

Update guide can be found here: http://staggart.xyz/unity/sc-post-effects/scpe-docs/?section=update-guide

Added (URP integrated post processing):
    - Pixelize
    - Posterize
    - Colorize
    - Dithering
    - Ripples
    - Kuwahara
    - Black Bars

(Import the _UniversalRenderPipeline package, and unpack it to overwrite the scripts for the Post Processing Stack with URP versions)

Changed:
    - (URP) Effects can now automatically be added to the forward renderer through their inspector

Fixed:
    - Build error in LUT shader when using OpenGLES
    - (URP) Sharpen effect rendering when effect was disabled

camta005 likes this.
  9. Immu

Immu

Aww thanks <3
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float phi = atan2(sc.y, sc.x); to float phi = atan2(sc.y, -sc.x);
    I sure wouldn't have find it myself x)
    Thanks a lot!

10. corjn

corjn

Hey @StaggartCreations

Sorry it seems it's already been asked, but I use your "Sunshaft" effect with built-in. Will that be possible to use it in unity 2020 ? URP is still missing some features I need in Built-In.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

11. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, as of version 2.0.0 the effects will work in 2020.1+. On older versions effects will not save to any profiles once Unity is closed, which was fixed.

corjn likes this.
  12. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted v2.1.2. Changelog:

Unity 2019.4 compatibility verified

Update guide can be found here: http://staggart.xyz/unity/sc-post-effects/scpe-docs/?section=update-guide

- Danger
    - Overlay
    - Gradient
    - Refraction
    - Tilt Shift

Changed:
    - (URP) A warning will now be displayed if an effect requires the depth texture, but this is disabled in the URP settings.
    - The way setup warnings are displayed in inspectors has been has been further abstracted between PPS and URP (hence all files are modified)

Fixed:
    - Errors in FogLightSource script if post-processing was not installed
    - (URP) GUID warning for SharpenEditor script file

13. Lad-Ty

Lad-Ty

Hello, we are trying to prepare for a PC release of our game, so we decided to try out your post process plugin to enhance the visuals on the platform a bit. For the most part it seems it's a very good match for us (tilt shift, some color enhancements/sharpen and whatnot). But sadly we are unable to compile for Android (not sure about iOS) with your plugin now.
    We don't want the post effects on these platforms really, if possible we'd prefer the whole plugin to be skipped on these platforms. But at the very least we must be able to build on them and deactivate the post effects at start. But sadly we are getting errors in many shaders when building for Android right now which is breaking the use for us. We need to have the project ready to be build for both Android, iOS and Standalone (PC/Mac/Linux), although we care for the post effects only in the Standalone builds really, for the rest all we want is for the project to just build without issues.
    Could you please help me with that, what should be moved somewhere or set where for that to work? Thank you
    PS: plugin is awesome (for PC at least, hoping we won't need to remove it for the project to be developable for everything else)

Errs (shader errors): https://imgur.com/3dLli4v
    Errs2 (build failed): https://imgur.com/kqkU6dV

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  14. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks for the headsup! The error you're seeing is because you are building with the OpenGLES 2.0 graphics API, which does not support GPU instancing. If this is not intended (its rather old), you can remove it in the Player Settings so the list only contains OpenGLES 3.0/Vulkan.

Even though the package is not supported on mobile it shouldn't block a build in any event. I can probably make it so that the shader code related to instancing compiles to nothing if OpenGLES 2.0 is in use, but this is something I'll have to try and test since it affects all platforms.

15. Lad-Ty

Lad-Ty

Hello, and thanks for the response. Yes, for now I would really prefer (more like for now I really need) to keep ES 2.0 as a valid API. The game is out for a while on mobile platforms and would lose some significant compatibility still.

Is there maybe a directive that I could just slap on all the shaders affected in the meantime to try it out? Just to make the shaders contents fully ommited or replaced with simple white color or anything like that really?

Or place them in some folder Unity ignores per-build-target bases maybe, not very versed with these shenanigans.

16. Arkade

Arkade

Hi, I have 3 issues that I'd appreciate help with please.

1. I'm getting errors building for URP with WebGL using 2019.4.1.

I was able to fix the first error in FogShader.shader:70 which used `
    #if !URP
    ` in a shader (switched to `
    #ifndef URP
    `).

2. With that fixed, I get:

Not sure what to do on this one yet. It seems to be defined in Colors.hlsl.
    Since I'm not using fog, I've moved it aside for now and the build is continuing.

3. Since adding Tilt Shift to the effects stack, many of the Unity Editor windows are flickering, switching to grey or a silhouette of a cow (or something?!). With it installed, Unity is agony to use. Is this a known issue? What can be done to improve it?

Oh, p.s. Unity crashed when your installer was running so... I don't know whether that's related :-\

Thanks for any help :)
    R.

17. Arkade

Arkade

Doh, when it finished I got errors which I now see aren't unreasonable since you state WebGL is not supported. Darn.
    Well, here are the errors in case. I'd be interested to hear if that's something that might change. Guess I'll have to drop trying to use this in this project. Sorry to bother you.

18. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Turns out the solution is rather straightforward, If you open the Shaders/Pipeline/Standard.hlsl file you can comment out line 78 that reads uint vertexID : SV_VertexID;. This ends up not being used anyway since the Post Processing Stack shader backend doesn't support instanced VR rendering.
    The fog effect hasn't been ported to URP yet, the QuadraticThreshold function isn't available in URP which is why error is thrown. It's unfortunately the case that all shaders from the package are included in a build right now, I have an idea to circumvent this, so only shaders from effects being used are included. For now, the best approach is to remove any effects not yet URP compatible as you have done.

For the Tilt Shift effect this occurrence is in fact a bug. For the first frame a gray image will be shown (default blank texture). Though it should not as far as to interfere with the editor UI o_O In any event, I've meanwhile fixed this and will be included in next update.

As for the installer, I've only noticed this on a few occasions. Sometimes the editor doesn't like it when packages are unpacked through script and throws a tantrum, though when restarting the editor it appears that all files were unpacked correctly.

Arkade likes this.
  19. Lad-Ty

Lad-Ty

Awesome, thank you for the help! Also, will this only help with the mobile builds and everything else (PC builds) will be fine, or do I have to comment it out/uncomment based on whether I want the postprocesses to work?
    (also hope you'll incorporate whatever change will be needed around that to your future builds so I don't have to worry about it after updating the plugin in the future).

20. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You can leave it commented out, I have also made this change in the package (see next post). It wasn't actually used, but was present to match URP's shader library more closely. In any case, it doesn't affect any functionality.

21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted 2.1.3. Changelog:

Update guide

- Color Split
    - Hue Shift 3D
    - Double Vision
    - Radial Blur
    - Speed Lines
    - Mosaic
    - Tube Distortion
    - Kaleidoscope
    - Light Streaks

Added:
    - Transition effect, steps through a gradient texture to transition to a black screen (samples package now includes pre-made textures for this)
    - Posterize effect now has a "HSV mode", allowing Hue/Saturation/Value channels to be individually posterized

Changed:
    - LUT effect now uses LUT texture's import settings, rather than forcing it to bilinear filtering

Fixed:
    - Installer errors due to packages now having a "-preview.99" version suffix (2020.1+)
    - (URP) Tilt Shift effect flickering to gray screen when not in play mode
    - Shader compile errors when building using the OpenGLES 2.0 graphics API (built-in render pipeline only)

This leaves the following effects to be ported to URP, which will be included in the next update:
    • Fog
    • Cloud Shadows
    • Lens Flares
    Example of the new transition effect (uses the sample gradient textures):

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    wetcircuit, Lars-Steenhoff and rrahim like this.
  22. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

Hello, giving this one a try, URP empty project 2019.4.0f1, deleting the standard "workbench" scene, import SC Post Effects 2.1.3. I get into the "Installer window", all looking fine, clicking next, enable all demo-content, it starts to install some files and then crashes.
    upload_2020-7-21_21-35-37.png
    Reopening the project, help/sc post effects and trying again and it installs to the end.

Then I get to these... not entirely sure why that namespace would be missing?
    upload_2020-7-21_21-38-1.png

And also about "using UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing;" in FirstPersonController.cs (which doesn't seem to be used in that file, so probably can be removed)

I don't think it's needed (as the installer showed postprocessing is 'integrated' and didn't complain), but using the package-manager and installing Unity's official "Post Processing 2.3.0" package then results in these

upload_2020-7-21_21-41-27.png

Removing all "ref" keywords, and commenting out the two spots with SCPE.CheckGradientImportSettings(...) (just to get it to compile) I can start the demo-scenes, but no effects are visible...

At this point I'd thought it might be good to ask for some support before digging myself in deeper :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks for the headsup! I can most likely remove the "GUI Layer" component from the camera in the demo scene, since it doesn't use UI anyway and will resolve the error in newer Unity versions. Unfortunately, as it stands, the demo scenes are only compatible with the built-in render pipeline, or the combination of URP and Post Processing Stack. Which is why the VolumeTrigger script throws and error.

What appears to went wrong in your case, is that at the time of running the installer URP was in use. So the URP-specific scripts were unpacked, which are designed to be used with the URP's volume system.

Installing the Post Processing Stack package afterwards will cause a mismatch in code functionality. Since when the URP and PPS are both in use, the _UniversalRenderPipeline package will not be unpacked.

To rectify this, you can simply reimport the package from the asset store. This will restore all scripts to a configuration for the Post Processing Stack. This is essentially the same set up as for the built-in render pipeline, which also works with the PPS.

If you're looking to solely use URP, and the Volume system. I'd recommend to temporarily switch to the built-in render pipeline and PPS, as the demo content only works for this.

Hope that clarifies it!

24. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

Yeap, thanks that helped a lot!

Got it working with builtin (seems that when selecting the demo-content it reproducibly crashes during installation also when using builtin). Then when trying to install a 2nd time, it complains the demo-files are missing, if you now reimport the package and then try again it will install correctly, including working demo's.

Then tried a new project URP without installing the demo-content and then throwing together a simple scene and that works (even in 2d with hacked-in renderer-features, which was what I was curious for - nice!) :
    upload_2020-7-22_23-15-7.png

Weirdly enough you need to disable postprocessing on the camera in 2d - so for now it's either "sc-post" or "unity-post" but that's good enough to play around with. Quite confident this will work (possibly even out-of-the-box) once there is official support :)

25. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I have encountered a crash a few times before, but figured this was a fluke. Strangely, after reopening Unity, everything appears to be unpacked correctly. I get the idea that unpacking something through script is a little bugged in Unity 2019.3+. But I'll have to check the editor logs next time this occurs.

I will at least block the demo scenes from being installed when the URP/Volume system combination is used, since they aren't set up for it anyway. That should avoid some confusion, in any event, thanks for the feedback!

26. Gigacee

Gigacee

Does this not work in 2D Renderer? I've added Tilt Shift, but the camera shift doesn't seem to have changed.

upload_2020-7-27_5-29-42.png

27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

URP's 2D renderer doesn't support "Render Features" or any other custom rendering injection at this point, so that unfortunately excludes custom post processing as well.

28. mechamitch

mechamitch

Still having trouble clearing the "ref" errors here, so if I understand correctly in order to use URP with your volume system I need to reimport from the asset store to clear the errors, temporarily switch to the default render pipeline, rerun _UniversalRenderPipeline.unitypackage, then switch back to URP? How do you switch a URP project back to built in? I tried clearing the projectsettings scriptable render pipeline settings value but I still get the ref error, guessing there's more to switching pipelines than that but I can only find articles on switching to URP, not switching back.

29. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

To summarize:

Built-in + Post Processing Stack (being installed): As imported, without any changes
    URP + Post Processing Stack (both being installed): As imported, without any changes
    URP + Volume system (PPS not being installed): As imported, but with the _UniversalRenderPipeline package unpacked afterwards.

Having the Post Processing Stack package installed, while also unpacking the _UniversalRenderPipeline package will cause these "ref" errors. Seeing as this combination enables code to compile that should be mutually exclusive.

Hope that clarifies it!

30. Gigacee

Gigacee

Thank you... I will stop using URP and recreate my game with Built-in RP:(

31. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Hi,
    We just purchased the effects, and really like edge detection shader.
    Unfortunately it seems like the fade distance is broken when rendering on a Mac with OpenGL set as API.
    It requires huge numbers in fade distance to get any lines to draw on screen, and Start/End buttons don't work.
    Metal renderer works fine, but we're worried that this might also cause issues with Linux, so we would like to keep OpenGL as our main rendering API for mac also.

Any ideas on why this might happen?

32. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Ah yes, OpenGL uses a reversed Z-axis, so depth values are inverted. Now that you mention it, it occurs to me I forgot to handle this contingency. I'll send you a corrected version of the edge detection shader, since this appears to be the only one affected by OpenGL.

33. Loths

Loths

hey, quick question: is it possible to get the kaleidoscope effect working in vr?
    (am aware of how bad an idea this is, more of a case of whether i can, not whether i should)

edit: have gone and read documentation as i should have in the first place, found it's not supported. Consider this resolved

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  34. YuriiIhor

YuriiIhor

Hi, guys!
    I'm not sure if my problem has relations with this asset, but after I imported it in my project, Unity began to crash. Maybe, SC posts are incompatible with some imported packages, here is screen below. Any tips? Unity version is 2019.4 upload_2020-8-6_22-10-17.png

35. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If a crash occurs, could you send me your editor log file? This'll list any errors messages right before a crash occurs. You can find the log file through the context menu in the console panel:
    upload_2020-8-7_10-22-19.png

36. YuriiIhor

YuriiIhor

Okay, here you have! :)

Attached Files:

• logs.txt
      File size:
      85.6 KB
      Views:
  37. Peter-Bailey

Peter-Bailey

Just tried out the new posterization features. Very nice. Thank you.

Is there a way to stack these effects above the urp built-in effects? I want to posterize the built-in bloom effect, but it blooms after posterization.

38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks! I don't see any crash reports in the log. If a crash occurs, you can find the log file in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log. At which point the log will have an entry describing the crash details. Opening the editor again will clear the log, so it's important to grab the file right after a crash ;)

Sadly not, it's currently only possible to execute custom effects before the built-in effects are rendered. Once the built-in effects are rendered the post processing chain ends, so anything executed after that doesn't have any effect.

39. Peter-Bailey

Peter-Bailey

Do you think this will change in the future? Last time I was getting it to work with the PPS v2 by changing 'before' or 'after' stack in the code. Would this still work with the update?

40. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm not sure, I've seen a somewhat vague mention of a dedicated post processing system for the URP coming up, which will probably support this. But haven't seen a trace of this on GitHub since.

Right now, the only way to execute effects after Unity's built-in one is to use the PPSv2.

41. YuriiIhor

YuriiIhor

Hi, sorry for silence, I couldn't reproduce crush.
    here is log file from that folder

Attached Files:

• logs.txt
      File size:
      501.8 KB
      Views:
  42. lyndontroy

lyndontroy

How can I setup post processing effect on all element in scene EXCEPT 3D 3rd person character?

43. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I don't have any setup experience with this, there's bound to be more info on this on the forum. If it works for the built-in effects, it also works for the effect in this package.

44. DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

Hoping to see this excellent asset I've been using for years become compatible with URP 2D.

If there's a way for me to help make this possible (like a forum thread requesting Unity add something to URP or bumping a bug), let me know and I will do it.

URP is really new, but it has a lot of potential. I wish Unity can prioritise this project.

45. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

From what I gathered the 2D renderer is still experimental and the core feature set still needs to solidify based on user feedback. It's likely customization such as custom rendering will make its way into it afterwards, since this was also the case with LWRP/URP.

46. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

You mean custom renderer features in the 2d experimental renderer (as shown in my screenshot further up above - using your effects in the 2d renderer)? As said, that can be hacked in quite easily (just a few lines of code). Good enough for playing around with - of course Unity should add official support. Let me know, and I'll dig it up again.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  47. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

As far as I know this requires to modify the URP package, is that correct?

48. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

yes indeed, relatively minor changes though... (which is a bit annoying since it's overwritten on every restart, but better than nothing, until we get official support ).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  49. DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

I can't wait =). I'd even pay Unity more money if they speed this up because I really like Shader Graph. If only Unity open-sources URP, we'd be able to help and contribute to it.

50. dmarqs

dmarqs

Hi @StaggartCreations, I can't make post efects work with URP. =/

I'm creating a new project with URP and every time as soon as I finish importing the pack it crashes. Then nothing works, I try to delete and import again and I can't make it work. I have that error:

Shader error in 'Hidden/SC Post Effects/Fog': Unmatched #endif at line 93 (on metal)

After that I tried follow your doc where it says that I should add the script "Post Process Layer" but it don't have that component at all. =/

I tried the what the user rboerdijk said but it didn't worked either.

Don't know what to do anymore, it's a completely new project =/

Edit: I tried with 2 unity versions: 2020.1.4f and 2020.1.2f

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020