Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SC Post Effects Pack [Built-in/URP] - 34 additional effects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Karearea

Karearea

Have you tried using the fogging that is built-in to HDRP- it handles transparent and opaque shaders together, as well as blending to the skybox.

2. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Karearea likes this.
  3. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'll be able to look into these issues after the 15th. I'm unfortunately a little strapped for time as I have a milestone deadline fast approaching ;)

For Unity 2018.3, there is still a breaking issue due to the deprecation of the ShaderIncludePathAttribute attribute. I still have to find an elegant way to circumvent this.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    TerraUnity and Karearea like this.
  4. Karearea

Karearea

Happy to confirm that with LWRP 4.1.0, opening the Fog.cs file and replacing the enum "PostProcessEvent.BeforeStack" with "PostProcessEvent.BeforeTransparent", now works fine.

5. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Karearea Guess that in needs more tweaking in HDRP right?

Also wanted to report another bug in 18.3 with latest HDRP, the Color Source "From Skybox" in Fog is completely broken.

6. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Could you tell me which version of the HDRP you are using? There seems to be a distinct difference between v3.0, 4.0 and 4.1. The skybox color mode also requires an actual skybox to be used, something like a geometry skydome would currently not work.

7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted version 0.7.1, tested up to 2018.3 and the Post Processing Stack v2.0.17

* Demo scenes and samples can now be installed separately.
    * Shaders no longer need specific configuration for either the GitHub or Package Manager installation of the Post Processing Stack.
    - This change prepares for Unity 2018.3+ compatibility.
    - Package folder can now sit anywhere​

Added:
    - Color Grading LUT
    * Use traditional LUT strips for color grading. Includes the option to blend two LUTs over a distance
    * Utility for extracting a LUT from a scene screenshot​

- Speed Lines
    * Cartoon/Anime-style speed intensity effect

TerraUnity likes this.
  8. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

HDRP version is 4.0.1 and the skybox is built-in procedural.

9. thelebaron

thelebaron

@StaggartCreations Is it possible to get a tweak to the pixelize shader or another variation? For my own use, it would be much more preferable to have crisp edges/nearestneighbor kind of resizing as opposed to the kind of soft look in this exaggerated screenshot.

Im going for a retro look akin to software quake, chunky and pixelated, well realised in say devil daggers.
    I was using a handy script called pixelboy.cs( https://gist.github.com/nothke/e68576aeca5ca6279343f8cd1e0d42ca ) which did the trick, but alas it doesnt work with hdrp.

10. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, that would be possible. There are two ways to go about achieving the effect, I didn't use the method the pixelboy script uses, since it uses more resources and ends up looking the same.

I have to check first, are you sure there isn't any Anti Aliasing enabled on the PostProcessLayer component on your camera?

11. thelebaron

thelebaron

Thanks for the quick follow up. Im glad you mentioned checking the layer because strangely, the stop NaN propagation is what causes that, so disabling that does get it closer to what I desired. Theres still a bit of a minor thing though. The left is a photoshop resize down to 50% and then upsized again with nearest neighbor, the right is the pixelize effect. Diagnonals dont quite seem pixel perfect to me, its not quite what I'd expect if I were running a game on hardware back in the day, which I'd like to mimic at least as far as resolution goes.

12. Korindian

Korindian

Would you ever consider adding a lens flare effect like Unity's built-in, but which works using the depth buffer rather than colliders?

TerraUnity likes this.
  13. Immu

Immu

I'm liking it so far. As I saw a gaussian blur, any plan on adding a directional blur effect ? (not motion, really screen directional blur)

14. sacb0y

sacb0y

I'm not getting any errors but i can't see any menu beyond the installation screen.

I get no quick setup under "window" and the sample scenes don't show any effects at all :(

I'm on unity 2018.2.12f1 and i'm using version 0.7.1

I also don't see the post effects appear in the list of possible effects nor in the post processing volumes in the demo scenes.

It just seems like nothing is loading and I have no error telling me why.

15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This would be relatively easy to add to the Blur effect. Meanwhile, you can replace the code (in the Blur script file) between line 155 and 175 with:

Code (CSharp):
    1. //Safeguard for exploding GPUs
    2.                 if (settings.iterations > 12) return;
    4.                 // horizontal blur
    5.                 cmd.SetGlobalVector("_Offsets", new Vector4(settings.amount / context.screenWidth, 0, 0, 0));
    6.                 context.command.BlitFullscreenTriangle(blurredID, blurredID2, sheet, (int)Pass.Gaussian);  // source -> tempRT
    8.                 // horizontal blur
    9.                 cmd.SetGlobalVector("_Offsets", new Vector4(settings.amount / context.screenWidth, 0, 0, 0));
    10.                 context.command.BlitFullscreenTriangle(blurredID2, blurredID, sheet, (int)Pass.Gaussian);  // source -> tempRT
    This cause it to horizontally blur

Make sure to run the installation, since otherwise you won't be able to use any effects properly. The installer will automatically pop up, but you can re-open it through Window -> SC Post Effects Installer.

16. Immu

Immu

Wow that was fast, thanks a lot, that's great support :3

17. sacb0y

sacb0y

I did run the installer and it claims everything checks out, i've deleted the plugin multiple times and reinstalled, made sure i had no command errors, reloaded unity.

The only window i have acess to is under "Help" i get nothing under "window"

18. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Lens flares like Unity's built in system would be something different from a screen-space post effect. I'm not entirely sure how it works internally. There is some "new" technology which could be adopted to Unity, but last time I looked into it, it's hella complex :p

May be worthwhile to look into this package: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/particles-effects/proflares-12845

Apologies, I actually meant the "Help" menu!

Please check in your Player Settings if the "SCPE" define symbol is present. The installer adds this during installation, which enables the effects to compile. It sounds like that somehow failed to happen.

scpe_define.jpg

19. sacb0y

sacb0y

Oh it seems the problem might be my build target, this only ads SCPE for the windows build target. And i was currently testing mobile and webgl :p

The SCPE does not appear in those. Maybe thats the problem?

20. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Ah, that could very well be the case! I wasn't aware build platforms could have separate define symbols. If it is missing, it should be added for the effects to work.

I'll make a note to have the installer add it for all platforms.

21. sacb0y

sacb0y

I could be wrong but i recommend testing it.

22. bitinn

bitinn

Hi @StaggartCreations, I am just wondering why you decide to ship the core shaders from PPv2 with your package? You should be able to include them with lines like:

#include "Packages/com.unity.postprocessing/PostProcessing/Shaders/StdLib.hlsl"

(But I understand the rapid changes on PPv2 might be a pain to maintain for asset authors)

23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Since Unity 2018.3 the ShaderIncludePathAttribute attribute was deprecated, it allowed access to shader libraries contained in "packages". The include path you mention only works if an asset is located in the packages folder, as if it were installed through the Package Manager. Asset store plugins can't be installed in this way. Not yet at least.

Because of that I decided to include a copy of the shader files, so they can be references instead and everything works for 2018.3+. Subsequently, this also removed the need for different shaders between the GitHub and Package Manager version of the Post Processing Stack.

It's far from ideal, but the only workaround that worked. I'm keeping a close eye on the changelog, to make sure the files stay updated ;)

bitinn likes this.
  24. Flindt

Flindt

Hi @StaggartCreations

Im considering buying the plugin for few things.

1. is it possible to have animated dots/rain gliding down the screen? I believe you had some distort effect - but can i animate the input map?
    2. Is it possible to use your blur for UI elements - so that everything that is behind a menu box is viewed blurred? as a blurred refractive surface?
    3. Does it work ok with Book of the dead ? - and especially i think of the fog - where i wish to add fog and fade it to the sky sphere color. ?

Thanks a lot

Best regards
    Karsten

25. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Hi Karsten,

1. The refraction effects aren't animated, but if you manage to create an animated normal map, it can be assigned to the effect through code, just as any regular texture input.

2. I haven't tested this, but seeing as post processing stack effects don't rely on traditional materials (as opposed to legacy image effects), I don't think that's possible.

3. The Book of the Dead environment is where I mainly test for HDRP issues. Fog, specifically, works in that project. Though, the fog will blend with the actual skybox, not a custom skydome mesh. If this is something you need, I can explain the code changes needed, which are rather simple.

26. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Hi, Can you tell me what is the configuration of the fog example? I can't get it. I tried using "Demo_Fog Profile" but it is not what the example looks like.

27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The DemoRooms scene's camera has a shorter clipping plane than default, so the depth range is probably shorter compared to your scene, so it'll look a little different.

When setting up the fog effect I would recommend to start by choosing the mode (Linear/Exponential/Exponential Squared) and the color source (Uniform/Gradient/Skybox). Leave the "Global Density" value to 1, then set the density for both the distance and height fog (if you want it). Basically work your way from top to bottom ;)

28. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitting v0.7.2:

Tested for compatibility with 2018.3 and Post Processing Stack v2.1.2 and LW/HD SRP 3.0.0

Added:
    - Tilt Shift
    * Horizontal and Radial depth of field effect

Changed:
    - Black Bars
    * Increased maximum range
    - Fog
    * Skybox color will never be sampled from any hidden camera's

Fixed:
    - Define symbol not being added for all platforms
    - Demo scene profiles
    - Lens Flares, build error on Linux

Tilt shift effect (horizontal):

Flurgle and Onevisiongames like this.
  29. ina

ina

Hi! What does your Comic Book effect look like?

Also, is this package supported on iOS/Android?

30. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is a screenshot from the comic book profile:

It uses Edge Detection, Dithering and default Unity Color Grading.

I have not tested the effects on mobile, so they should not be considered as supported on the platform.

5argon likes this.
  31. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Package is 50% until the end of the year! https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/108753

Quick reminder, the trello board is publicly available here: https://trello.com/b/J5mEv8Cn/sc-post-effects. In Q1 2019 I'll be recreating the demo scenes (lost the source files), so that they showcase all the effects. As well as more extensive documentation per effect. After which, I will end the beta phase. Though, I will keep fixing any issues that arise and add features as they come into play ;)

32. BabouDev

BabouDev

Hello. I bought the asset and it's super useful and easy to use. Really love it. Was wondering however if it's possible to squeeze in supporting Photoshop blending modes as well? It would be useful for me as the art assets I use come with different textures that are blended to make the assets pop and often are references from Photoshop. Thanks!

33. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Happy to hear it is to your liking! Some of the effects where color plays an important role have the option to choose a blending mode (eg. the Gradient and Overlay effect).

If you're looking to use blending modes on textures used for objects, such as models, then that would require a specific shader that does this. Post effects on the other hand, are shaders that modify the screen content, so the effect is applied to everything you see, not any specific objects ;)

34. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

A development on the Unity front regarding this package:
    • In Unity 2019.1 using HDRP, the Post Processing Stack is set to be replaced and integrated into the HDRP. Effects from this package will not be compatible with this system.
    • With the release of the LWRP 4.6.0, the fog skybox blending mode does not work anymore. I know which changes have to be made, but have yet to implement them.

35. Betzalel

Betzalel

hi! i just purchased the asset and after importing im getting a few errors. can you help me sort them please? i cant wait to get it up and running the asset looks so good!

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 2 in DrawMesh
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 4 in DrawMesh

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 5 in DrawMesh

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 6 in DrawMesh

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 3 in DrawMesh

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 1 in DrawMesh

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 6 in DrawMesh

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 5 in DrawMesh

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 4 in DrawMesh

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 2 in DrawMesh

36. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I've only ever seen these kind of errors during development due to shader syntax errors, check that all the package contents have been imported and the latest Post Processing Stack version is installed. A script is trying to execute a shader that's stuck on an error. Though, the console never tells you which one :p

37. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Made some more progress on the sketching effect (specifically "hatching"). Still some things I'd like to try out before I call it finished. Unfortunately, seems like it won't be VR-compatible.

38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Reworked much of the sketching effect to use less resources, the result isn't as refined with less gradations of stroke density, but the overal aesthetics aren't lost. It now uses a single grayscale texture, so it's way easier to use custom sketch maps.

Also had a go at the implementation of light scattering for the fog effect. By using bits and pieces of the Bloom effect the result is pretty convincing!

39. Why485

Why485

Hello! I'm liking most of what's in this pack but I have a question on the environment fog. It doesn't seem to work quite like what I would expect.

I'm on Unity 2018.3.0f2. The native Unity fog handles this how I would expect. Here's a flat blue material representing the ocean with the Transparent rendering mode selected.

Using the environment fog in the asset pack (which has a really nifty height fog effect that I like) this is what I get without modifying anything. It's kinda right, but there's some odd behavior with the way the transparent water (even though it has an alpha of 1) is handled.

In an earlier post in the thread, it was mentioned that changing the fog effect to happen before transparencies might help, so I tried that. Again, it's kinda right, but the fog doesn't seem to apply to the water effect all, despite it having an alpha of 1.

If I change the water material to opaque, then I get the results I would expect. However, I need the water to be transparent so just making it opaque isn't really a viable solution. Ideally, this is what the image should look like with a transparent material with an alpha of 1. As I mentioned in the first image, this is also how Unity's native fog treats a transparent material with an alpha of 1.

If these examples seem a bit obtuse, it's because it's a simplified version of the real problem, which involves the fog not playing well with the Aquas Lite water assets. Here's what the fog looks like with Aquas water.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  40. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This is a notoriously difficult issue with transparent materials, since they don't write to the depth buffer. Seeing as the fog effect uses depth to determine the fog density or height at any given point, the water surface is essentially invisible to it. It is most noticeable in deep water, where the distance between the water surface and the ocean floor is biggest.

The built-in fog effect doesn't have this issue, because it is applied to every object through shader. The fog effect in this package is a screen-space effect, so it doesn't work in the same way. Some people get around this issue by adding the same shader code to their transparent objects, but that is not a solution I can offer, unfortunately.

noio likes this.
  41. Why485

Why485

That's unfortunate. Out of curiosity, would the fog environment effect work with your own stylized water shader?

For my own project, I'll either have to go back to using the old fashioned fog or maybe figure out a different water solution. I'm not entirely happy with the current solution anyway as it has some odd bugs I don't know how to solve. Even if I can't use the environment fog, there's plenty of useful effects in the pack. Thank you for the quick response!

42. 5argon

5argon

Omg those crosshatches are insane!

43. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

My water shader is also transparent, so it would succumb to the same issue. May be worthwhile to check out volumetric lighting packages such as Enviro or Azure. I saw you are working on a flight sim game, the atmospheric rendering technique these packages use may be up your alley. Enviro also has an upgrade guide for Aquas, to duplicate its effects into the water shader.

There are still a wide range of retro effects I can cover, namely CRT-related. I've added it to my trello board, thanks for the suggestion ;)

45. Arkade

Arkade

Hi, bought your fantastic-looking asset. Just about to enjoy all these PostFX goodness but snubbed at the last:

Code (CSharp):
    1. The layer "PostProcessing" could not be added, the maximum number of layers (32) has been exceeded
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    3. SCPE.Installer:SetupLayer() (at Assets/SC Post Effects/Editor/Installer.cs:236)
    4. SCPE.Installer:Install() (at Assets/SC Post Effects/Editor/Installer.cs:95)
    5. SCPE.InstallerWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/SC Post Effects/Editor/InstallerWindow.cs:188)
    6. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Is this customizable? (beyond hacking the code -- I'd have hoped it would use the layer I already have configured for the PostEffects where I'm using Unity's default "TransparentFX" layer.

Also, where I'm using Unity 2018.3, they've changed the menus so I also get:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ExecuteMenuItem failed because there is no menu named 'Edit/Project Settings/Tags and Layers'
    2. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:ExecuteMenuItem()
    3. SCPE.Installer:SetupLayer() (at Assets/SC Post Effects/Editor/Installer.cs:237)
    4. SCPE.Installer:Install() (at Assets/SC Post Effects/Editor/Installer.cs:95)
    5. SCPE.InstallerWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/SC Post Effects/Editor/InstallerWindow.cs:188)
    6. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    While I'm at it, the documentation here says "Window->SC Post Effects Installer" but I found it under the "Help" menu.

And finally please could you ship assembly definition files with the asset? (compile times are the enemy and need crushing whenever possible ;-) )

Thanks!

46. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You can safely ignore this, since 2018.1 the "PostProcessing" layer is present by default. The installer checks for it and adds it if it missing. Though, you can set up the Post Processing Stack using any dedicated layer you choose.

In the SCPE script file, you can change to "PP_LAYER_NAME" variable value to "TransparentFX". This'll be the layer used for the quick setup option in the help window (nothing else). Thanks for the headsup about the menu name, I'll change this for 2018.3 to use the new Unified Settings window.

About assembly definition files, that is uncharted territory for me, but I understand the benefit so I'll look into it.

47. Arkade

Arkade

Uncharted? Here's a zip of the assembly definition files. Simply unzip atop the asset.

I might mention any new effects will require copying one of these effect's asmdef file into any new effect's directories and change the name at the top.

If this is too much of a pain, I know at least a couple of authors who've decided to restructure to make this stuff easier (Behaviour Designer and A* Pathfinding Project IIRC). The obvious path being creating a single Editor directory and placing all editors in there. Obviously that loses the facility to remove/not import any effects a user doesn't want. Personally I like that option but <shrug> :)

HTH

Attached Files:

48. zephyr7

zephyr7

This package looks great, especially the fact that it works with the post fx stack.

Does this add any shader keywords to a project, and if so, how many?

49. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks for the information! I tried it out, but it seems like such a setup has some implications. Namely errors are thrown when the Post Processing Stack isn't present (yet), or the GitHub installation is used. Unfortunately that's not a viable option for me to present. You can keep the asmdef files you already have, I don't except to change the folder structure in the future, perhaps the addition of a "Runtime" scripts folder.

The shaders don't use any keywords, other than the ones already present in Unity or added by the Post Processing Stack.

zephyr7 likes this.
  50. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted version 0.8.0. Intend to focus on remodeling the demo scenes for next version, which will end the beta cycle. Thank you for all the feedback and suggestions so far!

Added:
    - Sketch effect + sample textures
    - Fog
    * Light scattering feature​
    - Colorize
    * Blending modes​
    - Black Bars
    * Added "max size" parameter​

Fixed:
    - Several shader compilation warnings
    - Single-Pass Stereo Rendering
    * Double Vision
    * Ripples
    * 3D Hue Shift​

Why485, Arkade and Lars-Steenhoff like this.