Search Unity

SC Post Effects Pack [Built-in/URP] - 34 additional effects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Jan 18, 2018.

1. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I don't know why the editor would crash after importing. This happens to me since Unity 2019.3 when importing any kind of package about 3/10 times. The only way to know why is to check the editor log, right after a crash, which you can find in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log

If you can't find any Post Process Layer component, it means the Post Processing package hasn't been installed through the Package Manager. This is nothing to be alarmed about, but it effectively means you're choosing to use URP's built-in post processing framework, which uses the SRP volume system. You can use this setup guide instead: http://staggart.xyz/unity/sc-post-effects/scpe-docs/?section=setup-using-urp-2019-3. If you're past the installation screen, all the scripts for the URP will already be installed.

An update for the package is running a little late, but this will fix the error in the fog shader. The reason is because this effect hasn't yet been ported to the URP. For now, you can simply delete the shader file.

2. dmarqs

dmarqs

Hi again @StaggartCreations,

Do you mind to guide me exactly what I need to do to make it work? I tried to follow your tutorial, it didn't work either.

I tried installing The Post Processing Stack (v2) and then SC Post Effects and a bunch of new errors showed up.

What exactly is the path to making a brand new URP project work? I really don't know what to do. =/

3. dmarqs

dmarqs

edi: I finally made it to work. Thanks!

4. GossamerGames

GossamerGames

Hey there! Been using this asset for a while now, however, now that I am trying to build for PS4 I am getting this error on all of the SC shaders, even after re-importing the package.

"
    failed to open source file: '../../../Shaders/StdLib.hlsl'
    Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR "

This appears on all of the shaders, however, I copied the error information from the AmbientOcclusion2D shader.

Do you have any idea what could be the cause of this?

Thank you so much for the asset! It looks great and has worked very well up until now.

5. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Could you tell me which version of the package you're using? You can see this in the Help window. The ../../../Shaders filepath currently isn't used anymore. But if you've moved any shader files or libraries an error like this can occur, since the relative file paths have to be hardcoded.

If the StdLib.hlsl file is in fact present, you can right-click it and choose "Re-import", usually this nudges things back into place.

6. GossamerGames

GossamerGames

I am using version 2.1.3

I did reimport and it seems that the files are there now, I just had to reimport from the Asset Store, however, now I have a new issue after reimporting. It seems that in SCPE.hlsl is missing the identifier "RT_ARG" here is the error code I am getting for that.

"
    unrecognized identifier 'RT_ARG'
    Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR "

EDIT: Apparently this was also fixed when I reimported, AGAIN. However, now I am getting new errors, it seems every reimport I am fixing old errors and getting new ones.

The current errors are:
    1: Assets\SC Post Effects\Effects\Invert\Invert.cs(20,30): error CS0115: 'Invert.IsEnabledAndSupported(PostProcessRenderContext)': no suitable method found to override

2: Assets\SC Post Effects\Effects\Invert\Invert.cs(32,27): error CS0311: The type 'SCPE.Invert' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'PostProcessEffectRenderer<T>'. There is no implicit reference conversion from 'SCPE.Invert' to 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessEffectSettings'.

FINAL EDIT: The SC installation manager popped up and said that I am using Unity version 2018.4.26f1 which is incompatible. I imagine that I cannot use the invert shaders in this version, although I know this package used to work in this unity version. As I do not need the invert shaders. I have just deleted them from the project. Thank you so much for the help!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If you're getting these kind of seemingly unwarranted shader errors, it can make a difference if you delete you Library/ShaderCache folder. Which will trigger Unity to recompile all shaders in the project from scratch.

Deleting the Invert files is okay, these were deleted anyway (now incorporated into the Color Grading LUT effect). But updating a package doesn't track deletions, so any obsolete files will always remain unfortunately. The update from v1.0.2 to v2.0.0 required to delete the entire folder, since files were also moved, Unity package also don't track this.

The Unity 2019.1+ restriction is solely because of assembly definitions. You can work around this by adding the PPS define symbol to your project to the same effect. Next to ensuring the assemblies from the Post Processing package are properly reference in those of the SCPE package. In 2019.1+ this is done "automatically". But I'm guessing you've already done this if you're on 2018.4 ;)

GossamerGames likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi there! I've been messing around with the Kuruhawa filter, and it gives really beautiful results, but I'm having trouble keeping my frame rates up. I'll be the first to admit that my laptop is not exactly cutting edge (my GPU is an NVidia Quadro M2200). Has anyone worked with it on something a little more capable? From looking at some online benchmarks, it looks like updating to a GeForce 2060 (or even the 1080) would improve rendering performance by 3-4 times. Also, does anyone have any tips on how to optimize your use of the filter to keep it running a little faster?

No harm done to me if there isn't really an answer to either question. Mostly I've been experimenting, and worst case scenario I can bake in a similar painterly effect to the texture maps themselves.

9. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This isn't out of the ordinary ;) The effect has to perform a lot of operations per-pixel to achieve its result. The only way to reduce the performance footprint is to keep the "radius" value as low as possible, or to run the game at a lower resolution. I personally don't see a noticeable difference in render time with the effect enabled, but that's on a GTX 1060

10. knas01

knas01

Hi, I have this problem there particles are rendered behind fog. I'm using your screen space fog with the Visual effect graph (default renderer) and and if there is empty space behind the particles and fog they are rendered behind the fog. Do you have any suggestion what I can do?

Attached Files:

11. Peter-Bailey

Peter-Bailey

Hi. I've been messing around with the posterization effect and I noticed that it produces different results depending on the projects color space. Initially I was using gamma colorspace because of the way it shades geometry. But I switched to linear colorspace with the intention of using a ramp shader to emulate gamma shading and now the colors are distorted. Do you know why this occurs? I can sort of fix it in linear colorspace by disabling sRGB on the texture. But it still doesn't look right. I may end up just sticking with gamma colorspace, but I would like to take advantage of linear colorspace.

LinearGammaColors_2.png

12. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Please see this post ;) https://forum.unity.com/threads/sc-...fects-built-in-urp.513191/page-6#post-5594281

Thanks for the headsup! Is this using the RGB or HSV mode? The shader likely needs to convert color spaces, before returning the result, currently it doesn't. But I'll have to check this so it returns a consistent result.

13. knas01

knas01

14. Peter-Bailey

Peter-Bailey

Cool. RGB mode, but HSV returns same result.

StaggartCreations likes this.
  15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If there is nothing behind the particles (eg. skybox), the particles will receive 100% fog since the pixels are perceived as infinitely far away. You'd have to add something like a plane mesh behind them.

16. knas01

knas01

Right that's what I have to do, it looks like.

But for something completely different; Would it be possible to get Playmaker actions for this asset?

17. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Sorry, I have no plans to realize this, as it would require to create a script for every parameter of every effect, and again for the URP volume system. Which would amount to hundreds of scripts.

18. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

@StaggartCreations
    I'm getting a problem with the fog effect - it nigh unusable with Postprocessing Stack V2 temporal AA enabled, as fog silhouette on every object with distant background jitters with extreme intensity. Is there a way to work around that, perhaps by changing the order in which fog effect runs?

Attached Files:

19. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I think it's because the pixels next to the trees are much further away. If the "Jitter spread" parameter is set too high (default 0.62) this is noticable, you can see here bringing it down to 0 removes the artifacts from edges
    taa_jitter.gif

I assume this is because TAA only applied to the image color, but not the underlying depth texture, which is what the fog effect uses. So the color is being jittered, but the depth isn't, meaning it'll be most noticeable on silhouettes, where neighboring pixels often have different depth values.

20. DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

If I upgrade my project to URP, how do I update SC Post Processing that I've already installed to be compatible with URP?

Edit: nevermind, it works if I set it to use Post Processing V2 (although it will get deprecated later).

21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If you want switch to URP (or rather the volume system) you'll have to ensure the Post Processing package is uninstalled and URP is installed, then unpack the _UniversalRenderPipeline package found in the asset's root folder. This will overwrite all the effect scripts with a URP-compatible variant.

22. DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yeah that card is pretty confusing since it claims custom post processing isn't at all possible right now, while it is. I've seen some vague mentions of a dedicated post processing system (much like HDRP has) being planned, so it may be about that.

24. AntWorkshop

AntWorkshop

Hi there, is there a known issue with the tilt shift mode not changing? Just installed the asset and when I switch to "radial" we're still just getting a horizontal effect - confirmed with the "visualise area" debug. Tried in 2019.2 and 2019.4

Cheers,

25. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, this has been corrected in the upcoming update, which is unfortunately still pending since it still needs extensive testing.

The problem lies with the fact that the buttons don't have an "override" checkbox. You can get around this clicking the "All" button, which also overrides the Mode/Quality parameters under the hood.

FreakyZoid likes this.
  26. knas01

knas01

Hi, I want to make changes to some effects during play, but I'm not much of a coder. Is there an example of a bare minimum script to do this and a list with the names of all the effects and variables in the asset?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Here is an example for grabbing an effect from a volume, and modifying a parameter. For a list of effects, you can explore the "SCPE" namespace. Classes for effects are always simply their name (eg. Blur, TiltShift).

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing;
    3. using SCPE;
    5. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    6. public class ModifyVolume : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     public PostProcessVolume volume;
    9.     [Range(0f,1f)]
    10.     public float blurAmount = 0f;
    12.     private SCPE.Blur blurEffect;
    13.     private void OnValidate()
    14.     {
    15.         if (!volume) volume = GetComponent<PostProcessVolume>();
    16.     }
    18.     private void OnEnable()
    19.     {
    20.         if (!volume) return;
    22.         //Note: accessing 'profile' create a new profile instance (similar to MeshRenderer.material and MeshRenderer.sharedMaterial)
    23.         volume.profile.TryGetSettings<SCPE.Blur>(out blurEffect);
    24.     }
    26.     private void Update()
    27.     {
    28.         if (blurEffect)
    29.         {
    30.             //Parameter needs to be overriden in order for modifications to take effect
    31.             blurEffect.amount.overrideState = true;
    32.             blurEffect.amount.value = blurAmount;
    33.         }
    34.     }
    35. }

Deleted User likes this.
  28. knas01

knas01

@StaggartCreations Thank you. If I only want to change a value once when the script is enabled, I could put the stuff under update in onEnable instead?

29. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, that's right. The lines in Update set a parameters value, so this could be done at any point ;)

30. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

@StaggartCreations
    What could be the reason for height based fog abruptly changing intensity or height at certain very specific camera rotations? The issue has eluded us for a while, randomly appearing in different parts of the game and never reproducing reliably, but we finally managed to find a very specific position and camera rotation where it can be repeatedly seen and recorded a video:

https://webmshare.com/AWOKA

The height fog seems to break when camera crosses -90 degrees on Y axis, in a very fine window around that. Perhaps there is some sort of blending going on between two outputs for above and below -90 degrees, additively combined at the border, causing fog to jump up? I'm not sure if that explanation is close to right because the bug seems to be affected by position as well.

31. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Here is another video of the same issue, showing how the artifact changes between very fine values close to 90 degrees. https://webmshare.com/ojdXn

32. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I have seen this before, it happens when looking straight towards an axis. In a test project, I wasn't able to reproduce it, until I copied your camera transform values as a shot in the dark. The camera is relatively far away (but nothing too ridiculous).

Because under the hood the camera position is used for computing height/distance fog I assume the shader is running into precision issues the further it is away from the world origin. HDRP incorporates camera-relative rendering to avoid such issues, but this unfortunately isn't a thing in the built-in RP.

So all in all, I don't know any way to circumvent this unfortunately.

33. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I'm not entirely sure why the precision issue would be so linked to a rotation aligned with an axis instead of a position. I'd expect position based effects to gradually break down as I go 10, 50, 100km from origin, but rotation dependency that is so pronounced and pops up so close to origin (1000 units isn't much for floats) just leaves me stumped. Do you have any ideas?

What jumps to mind isn't necessarily position but operations like calculating a dot against a principal direction and using that dot product. A rotation extremely close to 90 on Y might mean a dot of 0.000001 on opposite axis and might result in a very jittery imprecise value, which would only be exacerbated if that value is used along the lines of "a = b / dot" etc. I wonder if fog shader includes any rotation or direction based calculations along these lines, for instance for coloring the fog (the vertical jump might just be a sudden shift in opacity and not a change in vertical position).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  34. DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

Double vision doesn't preserve bloom?

35. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, that sound very plausible! The shader does in fact use direction as a base for the height fog. In the frame debugger I see a value in a matrix used flips sign at 90 degrees, so the issue kind of trickles down. This definitely something I should try to fix, though right now I have a bit of backlog of changes I still need to push through an update, but will add it to my Trello board

The effect splits up the image into 3 separate images. One stays put, while the other two move left/right with 33% opacity. Because of the opacity, the pixels aren't as bright. So on the "ghosted" images bloom has less effect. This behavior is inherent to how the effect works, but it does not actually alter the HDR information which bloom uses ;)

36. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Finally submitted version 2.1.4, which contains a number of fixes that were piling up.

Note about URP in 2020.2, a bunch of things have been changed. I've managed to fix the shader errors, but custom post processing has been completely broken. It's no longer possible to read/write the screen color. Perhaps because it's a beta/preview version, or it's because they are completely changing things, once again.

Unity 2020.2 compatibility verified. All effects now ported to URP.

Added (URP integrated post processing):
    - Fog (excluding light scattering)
    - Cloud Shadows
    - Lens Flares

Added:
    - Eye lid transition gradient to samples package
    - Hue Shift 3D, option to use a gradient texture as the color spectrum source

Changed:
    - (PPS) Shaders now use libraries from the package, rather than a local copy (remnant of backwards compatibility between Unity 2017/2018)
    - Demo scenes can now only be installed when Post Processing Stack is installed when using URP (incompatible with SRP volume system)
    - VolumeTrigger sample script was renamed to PostProcessingVolumeTrigger and moved to Runtime/_Examples folder (Avoids error when Post Processing Stack not installed)
    - Renamed "_UniversalRenderPipeline" package to "_URP_VolumeSystem", for clarity
    - (URP) Effects are now added to the default renderer, instead of the first in the list
    - LUT screenshot capture now temporarily disables the LUT effect so the source screenshot is without any color grading

Fixed:
    - Tilt Shift Mode/Quality parameters not having an override checkbox
    - (URP) Mosaic effect incorrectly being labeled as "Black Bars" in effect stack
    - (URP) Warning about deprecated function in URP 9.0+ (Unity 2020.2)
    - (URP) Edge Detection, black screen in build when using a Depth Normals method
    - Option to disable scene fog in fog effect inspector did not mark the scene as dirty
    - Posterize effect HSV mode not displaying correct colors in Linear color space

37. DearUnityPleaseAddSerializableDictionaries

I have been using this for slightly two years and it's a very nice asset.

One suggestion is to have a break glass effect, for transitions, like in this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iiBxuWkfR8&t=33&ab_channel=Mazumaro.

Maybe this asset could include a few more effects for transition purposes, this seems to be a gap in the market.

Another idea is "Blur vignette". Instead of a normal vignette, you Gaussian/Kawase blur near the edges - maybe providing your own sprite/texture.

Some more ideas could be similar to complex After Effect transitions that are applicable to game-style, unless it's feature creep.

38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Happy to see a long time user :)

The glass shattering effect goes beyond a post processing effect. It would required a pre-made factured mesh, capturing a screenshot of the screen, applying it to the mesh (and drawing it), then enabling physics on the individual pieces (rigid bodies I assume)

For the blur effect, I could simply add a mask texture option, but right now the Tilt Shift effect can achieve the same effect, since it has a "radial" option, that blurs the edges of the screen. Though, it's a different blur method, so both ways would be viable. But I'll add this to the Trello board, so I can look into it.

39. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted v2.1.5, a small update that adds compatibility for future URP versions, whilst maintaining backward compatibility with URP 7

Fixed:
    - (URP) Effects not working in URP 10 (2020.2) due to changes in rendering code
    - (URP) Blur downsampling resulted in a pixelated image

40. QbAnYtO

QbAnYtO

Is there a “wet camera” affect coming ? I can use with your stylized water asset which I’m loving.

but do you have, or are making a “wet camera/ water dripping in lens” like if it’s raining and you get the “window rain dripping” look?

41. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Not presently, there is the Refraction effect which can be used for this. The samples package contains a water drop normal map that can be used with this. Though, the drops are static and won't move, so it's a pretty minimal effect.

I'd be interested to look into dynamic water drops. This would involve rendering particles to a texture and converting it to a normal map, which in turn can be fed to the Refraction effect. Nothing drastically difficult, but also don't have it laying around already ;)

42. QbAnYtO

QbAnYtO

Edit:
    So I’m thinking if I combine blur with ripples and activate them when camera collided with my underwater area, I can achieve the underwater look. But how can I go about adding underwater caustics? I see the speed lines effect are animated, maybe I can do something similar with caustics?

Sounds good. Would be awesome.
    I could prolly do these my self. But I’m lazy lol either way I also wanted to see more tilt shift effects being used.

But now I see this asset is 50% off so I went and bought it! I hav both of your stylized waters and now this. U make good stuff man. Love the quality and ease of use of your assets. I hope this is as easy to use as the water assets you made.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  43. sacb0y

sacb0y

upload_2020-11-22_5-58-46.png

would it be possible for sharpen to apply before Unity's bloom somehow? It would help prevent artifacts like this. (the wall highlight)

44. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You can modify the Sharpen.cs file to have it execute before the built-in effects like so:

From
    Code (CSharp):
    1. PostProcess(typeof(SharpenRenderer), PostProcessEvent.AfterStack, "SC Post Effects/Image/Sharpen", true)]
    to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. PostProcess(typeof(SharpenRenderer), PostProcessEvent.BeforeStack, "SC Post Effects/Image/Sharpen", true)]

45. sacb0y

sacb0y

Ah thanks!

46. sacb0y

sacb0y

Wait i don't see this, does it apply to URP?

seems to be this in the renderer script

Code (CSharp):
    1. m_ScriptablePass.renderPassEvent = RenderPassEvent.BeforeRenderingPostProcessing;
    but i guess i need to see what i need to set it to

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  47. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Ah no, I assumed you were using the Post-processing stack.

In URP, all effects execute before the built-in Unity effects, because that's unfortunately the only possibility. Once the built-in effects are done, the post processing chain ends.

Sharpen should logically execute after Bloom, otherwise it reads the unbloomed screen color. So for an emissive sphere (x3 intensity), you can see a sharpened edge is drawn because the pixels on the sphere are much brighter than the ones next to it. While this isn't actually the case, since bloom blurs it out, but the sharpen effect is not receiving that version of the image:

upload_2020-11-22_16-38-20.png

What you can do is edit the SharpenShader.shader file and

Replace
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float3 sharpenedColor = screenColor.rgb + (screenColor.rgb - offsetColors) * _Params.x;
    with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float3 sharpenedColor = screenColor.rgb + saturate(screenColor.rgb - offsetColors) * _Params.x;
    This forces the effect to use LDR color, meaning it'll treat the sphere as if it had an emission intensity of 1 (instead of 3). Making the sharpened edge less ridiculous to the point where it's gone:
    upload_2020-11-22_16-40-41.png

I'll have to see if this a change that should be permanent.

48. sacb0y

sacb0y

Ah i see, thanks for the info! Yeah there's not much info on this so i was stumped XD

I'll try your method! Thanks again!

49. sacb0y

sacb0y

Is fog still not supported in URP?

50. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This was added in the update before the last (v2.1.4) ;)