Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SC Post Effects Pack [Built-in/URP] - 34 additional effects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Jan 18, 2018.

1. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, this is the intended behaviour. You can circumvent this by opening the Fog script file and replace the PostProcessEvent.BeforeStack part with PostProcessEvent.BeforeTransparent. This will make the effect ignore any transparent objects. Something that unfortunately has to be hardcoded.

Onevisiongames and AlejMC like this.
  2. joshcamas

joshcamas

Alright, thank you! Any reason why this is the intended behavior? Will there be issues if I choose to do this?

3. Loths

Loths

Hey,
    I'm wondering if it's possible to somehow smoothly blend the "exclude skybox" setting on the fog effect (or to use a different effect to that end)? I'm trying to blend from a clear sky to heavy fog using different postprocess volumes, so the jump from sky to fog is pretty rough when the foggy volume takes over.

4. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

When the effect is executed before transparent objects Unity renders the depth buffer at a lower resolution (don't know why, probably a good reason for it). The fog effect heavily relies of the depth buffer, but I don't think the quality loss will be noticeable in the grand scheme of things ;)

Good point, thanks for the input! I think it should be possible to convert the "Exclude skybox" parameter to a slider, rather than a toggle. If possible, I'll include this change in next update.

joshcamas likes this.
  5. AlejMC

AlejMC

On Mac and iOS (builtin pipeline) the SC effects are not shown (i.e. on an Add effect... of a post stack profile).
    On Windows it's all good, the issue happens when loading the project on a mac to be able to build to iOS, it launches the install/setup wizard and says that it adds the symbols, but at least on the players settings I don't see anything SCPE related.
    Does it happen to anybody here too?

6. sacb0y

sacb0y

Is it possible for outlines to receive color from nearby objects?

7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

To my understanding that won't be possible...

8. sacb0y

sacb0y

Would it work if the outline affect could be multiplied on top of the screen?

I ask because it seems like KH3 in the hundred acre woods has an outline effect similar to yours but the outlines receive color from their respective objects.

Though maybe the opacity value does enough for this...

I could definitely be wrong though lol, i just figured i'd ask.

9. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Ah in that sense! Yes, setting the opacity value to something like 0.5 would be same as multiplying.

To reproduce the edge style as in that image, the mode on the Edge Detection effect needs to be set to "Sobel depth" and the "Thin" box needs to be checked (this limits it to inner edges only) as you can see here:
    upload_2019-5-17_15-15-54.png

hopeful likes this.
  10. sacb0y

sacb0y

Ah i see, thanks i think that may work for me.

11. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

A quick development update, I've been working on the initial version 1.0.0 release these past few weeks. The beta stage ran a long course, but I'm confident things work as intended. Support for the SRP will remain an ongoing process at least throughout 2019.

The majority of the work is done, so it's close to finished, this update ties up all the loose ends. Notable changes:
    • Revised demo scene with additional effects
    • General UX polishing
    • Complete documentation for all effects (almost!)
    • Various shader fixes and improvements
    I'll post the complete details once I've submitted the update (upgrade notes, change log, compatibility, SRP state, etc). Thanks for the feedback and support so far, this has been fun to work on! :D

Miyamoto_Musashi and ivanmotta like this.
  12. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted version 1.0.0, which is now available http://u3d.as/13Nq

Documentation is now complete. Every effect has a paragraph describing the intended usage and limitations. Parameter description can be viewed in the editor by hovering your cursor over them.

Any gradient textures assigned to the effects that have incorrect import settings can now be corrected.

Demo scenes have been rebuild and tidied up and now showcases more effects. Shaders have all had an optimization pass where possible.

Upgrade guide
    A notable change is that several effect parameter names have been altered for consistency. These parameters will be reverted to their default value on any existing profiles. The profiles would need to be readjusted.

Future changes
    This package will continue to be updated to work with the latest released version of Unity. A Trello board is maintained to keep track of development.

Unity 2019.3 is said to feature a new extendable post processing system, once this is available, compatibility will be investigated.

Changelog
    • When using Unity 2018.1+, the installation screen no longer accepts a GitHub installation of the Post Processing Stack. The Package Manager must be used. Existing projects will not be affected.
    • Revised demo scene, now showcases almost every effect. Certain environment effects remain excluded since these need a larger context to showcase.
    • Documentation is now complete. All effects now feature a documentation button in their inspector, which opens the corresponding web page.
    • Some variable names have been altered for consistency, existing volume settings may have to be re-adjusted
    • Gradient textures with incorrect import settings will now display a warning and “Fix” button in the inspector.
    • Remote package version checking now happens asynchronously and won’t stall the installer or help window GUI on slow connections or time-outs.
    • Some effects will now show the chosen solver or method in the title name when overridden
    Changed:
    • Dithering
      • No longer uses a procedural dithering matrix, but uses a 32×32 texture instead. Allowing for greater variety at faster speeds. Several sample textures have been added.
    • Fog
      • Color parameter now allows for HDR values, enabling emissive fog
    • Sunshafts
      • SunshaftCaster component now has an “infinite distance” toggle, to more accuractly match a skybox’s sun position
    • Cloud Shadows
      • Now samples a texture’s Red channel, for easier texture creation
    • Refraction
      • Minor visual improvement to usage with normal maps.
    • Colorize
      • Now executes after the stack so it takes tonemapping into account
    • Kuwahara
      • Distance field is now hidden when method is set to “Regular”
      • Minor shader optimization
    Fixed:
    • Fog
      • Added skybox color mode support for LWRP 5.7.2+ up to Unity 2019.1.2f1. Existing installations using LWRP need to re-run the installation to activate this. Which can be done through the Help window.
    • Refraction
      • Normal map offsetting entire screen in Unity 2017.2 and newer
    • Gradient
      • Not respecting alpha values set in color fields, resulting in incorrect opacity behaviour
    • Hue Shift 3D
      • Precision artifacts when running the effect for a long period of time
    • Color Grading LUT
      • Extracter storing the scene’s luminance in the screenshot’s alpha channel when using FXAA
    • Pixelize
      • Was not taking the screen’s aspect ratio into account. Pixels will now always be square. (Note: your existing profiles need to be re-adjusted!)
    • Blur
      • (Potential fix) Sometimes receiving the name “Amount” or “Length” when added to the stack
    • Lens Flares
      • Corrected behaviour of Threshold parameter in both Linear and Gamma color spaces
    • Light Streaks
      • Corrected behaviour of Threshold parameter in both Linear and Gamma color spaces
    • Sunshafts
      • Intensity parameter not working with volume blending (Note: your current intensity values need to be re-adjusted!)

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    sacb0y, Flurgle and Miyamoto_Musashi like this.
  13. RafaBM

RafaBM

Hi!
    It works for console?(PS4/XboxOne)

14. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I don't have a dev kit for either console, so I couldn't tell you with certainty. But it seems very likely that everything will work out of the box. If you're developing for these platforms and run into issues, you can always reach out to contact@staggart.xyz so I can investigate.

15. Alexsandro-Natsume

Alexsandro-Natsume

im trying to download the 2017.4 version of the asset , but the asset store always download the 2018.1 version.
    there's is a way to fix this ? im using unity 2017.4

16. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

How do you mean? There is only one downloadable package which works in all major Unity versions.

17. Alexsandro-Natsume

Alexsandro-Natsume

when i install it i get this error "
    Assets/SC Post Effects/Effects/Fog/Fog.cs(265,79): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext' does not contain a definition for `stereoRenderingMode' and no extension method `stereoRenderingMode' of type `UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    "
    i checked the package.json and it look like this

{
    "name": "SC Post Effects",
    "version": "1.0.0",
    "unity": "2018.1",
    "description": "Additional effects for the Post Processing Stack",
    "dependencies": {
    "com.unity.postprocessing": "2.1.6"
    }
    }

18. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I see, the json file isn't really used for anything as of yet, so the version written there does not matter. The error is thrown because you're using an older version of the Post Processing Stack (minimum of 2.0.17 is required), which is missing some VR-related things.

Normally you can update this through the help window, but for 2017 you can download the latest working version here: http://staggart.xyz/public/PostProcessingStack_v2.unitypackage

19. Alexsandro-Natsume

Alexsandro-Natsume

thank you !
    i will try it

20. DMeville

DMeville

Hey @StaggartCreations

I'm wondering if there is any way set an object to be ignored by the sunshafts.

I have a sky system I've been working on that has a moon behind the atmosphere, as well as a 3d sun that matches the directional light direction. The problem I'm having is these are both "blocking" the sunshafts when I would like them to not! Do you have any suggestions?

Both sun and moon are using custom shaders (ASE), and I've tried setting it so they don't write to depth thinking that would do it but no luck.

Further testing shows that I can't seem to get an object to NOT render to the _CameraDepthTexture. Triple checked the shader was saved, no matter what I do I can't get this ZWrite to be Off.

It's weird because if I find this mesh where it's drawn in the RenderFoward.RenderLoopJob it shows ZWrite is Off. So it's like its forcing zwrite to be on during the depth prepass and nothing I do gets it out of that depth texture.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  21. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Hey!

The sunshaft effect takes the screen image, then discards any pixels that have a (linear) depth value lower than 0.99. This results in an image containing only the skybox color, where objects such as mountains and trees are black (seen below). It may be that your sun and moon have a depth value lower than 0.99 and will mask out the sunshafts as a result:

upload_2019-6-13_10-57-28.png

So you are correct in thinking that the ZWrite Mode should be set to "Off" (it is turned on in the screenshot above). For my sun/moon shader I have this off as well, so they don't contribute to the depth buffer at all. In which case they don't block the sunshafts either (next to not having any fog applied to them).

You may want to try disabling shadow casting/receiving to exclude it from the depth buffer. Feel free to hit me up on Twitter if you have any questions!

22. CaptainBaxter

CaptainBaxter

Hey, thanks for the awesome plugin. I'm trying to extend it with Eye Dome Lighting but I'm not great with shaders and struggling with the approach, I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction to get started. I can get it working with the attached script and shader, but not sure where to get started with converting it to work with the post processing stack.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Attached Files:

23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I didn't know any such effect existed! From what I gathered, it's very similar to Screen-space Ambient Occlusion. I've managed to port over to the PPS (see attached package).

The radius parameter isn't smooth for some reason, but this should in any case provide a good starting point ;)

Attached Files:

24. AlejMC

AlejMC

Hi! By any chance do you guys have a discord channel?
    And also, would it be possible to have a 'vignette' masking for the blur? Would be great for fake dof effects, like when aiming a gun, blurring the outer edges of the screen but keeping the center sharp.

25. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Sorry, I dont have a discord server.

I suggest to try the Tilt Shift effect, it looks very similar to DoF visually, and has a "radial" option which limits it to the edges.

AlejMC likes this.
  26. Poupi

Poupi

Hey,
    I just bought your post processing effects, and it looks like something changed on Unity side as the Edge Detection effect no longer works in VR under Unity 2019 (everything is ok with 2018), either in Multi-Pass or Single-Pass.

EdgeDetectVR.png

Thanks in advance for the upcoming support :) .

27. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I'm not aware of any changes made to VR between these versions. Are you by chance using a Scriptable Render Pipeline? These vary greatly between major Unity versions. Which edge detection solver were you using?

In any case, I'll see if I can reproduce the issue.

28. Poupi

Poupi

No i'm not using any SRP, just the legacy Renderer. I tried with every edge detection method and the issue is present everytime. You can test it with the demo scene included in the package and Unity 2019.1.0f2 .

29. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

You are right, I can reproduce the same effect in 2019.1, while it appears to work fine in 2018.4. I've spent all morning debugging, and it appears that the built-in textures rendered by Unity come out double per eye, despite using the correct coordinates. I assume since 2019.1 Unity is now performing some VR-related operations on their internal textures (eg depth texture and depth normals texture). Even a bare minimum shader that simply outputs the depth texture come out wrong o_O

I unfortunately can't find any documentation about these supposed changes, so I'm grasping at straws. I'll have the opportunity to dig deeper next week.

30. Loths

Loths

Wanted to say thank you for including the fog skybox influence slider in the update, it's made the weather system insanely atmospheric!

There's one thing I noticed with the gradient texture based screen-space fog that I'm not sure if it's intended. The distance spread of the gradient isn't currently affected by the Radial option, so the gradient appears to move when looking around, even with the option turned on.

31. The_BenEvans

The_BenEvans

I've updated the .zip with Assembly Defs that @Arkade created to include all the new effect folders in v1.0.0.

[Please backup your project first if you're going to use this!]
    The best way is extracting it into the SC Effects Folder outside of Unity (in Windows Explorer etc) so it merges the folders correctly. Should be working upon reentering Unity.

Attached Files:

StaggartCreations likes this.
  32. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Thanks for the heads up, I would otherwise not have noticed ;)

I checked the shader code and for the gradient it appears I wasn't actually using the same distance fog as I do for the color/skybox modes. So the radial checkbox has no effect. This is a rather easy fix I can make tomorrow. I'll send you the updated version to check out and include the fix in next update.

33. CaptainBaxter

CaptainBaxter

My apologies for the delayed response, I hadn't noticed. This is fantastic, thank you, I will give it a try and see how I get on. It's a really great effect for 3D engineer with CAD or point clouds.

34. Thickney

Thickney

@StaggartCreations I'm looking to extend the Kuwuhara effect to use an AnimationCurve for the depth fade instead of it always being linear. The thing I'm hung up on is actually getting the AnimationCurve to serialize in the editor and I haven't found anything useful via Google. There's no PostProcessing.AnimationCurveParameter and no serializedObject to find the property with.

Do you know how this can be done, or would it be easier to use something like a gradient texture instead of the AnimationCurve?

35. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I haven't used curves with the Post Processing Stack before. But it's worth checking out Unity's color grading effect which does use it (SplineParameter). Another method is to evaluate a curve and store its values in a float array, to be passed to the shader.

I would go with a gradient texture, which can be blended through volumes and has higher accuracy as well. I've you've never used that before, I have a public repository which can help :)

36. Thickney

Thickney

That helps a bunch, thanks!

37. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi, I love the fog, but I'm getting single frames of white flashes where the fog is suddenly overlit. Has anyone had this issue?

38. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Sorry, seemed to have missed your post. It may be useful to check the frame debugger, it sounds very context sensitive so may be difficult to track down. Personally haven't encountered anything of that nature.

wetcircuit likes this.
  39. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted v1.0.1, minor maintenance update to verify Unity 2019.2 compatibility and the related LWRP version.

I came to learn that VR (Single Pass Stereo) does no longer work in the legacy render pipeline since Unity 2019.1. From this version onward a SRP must be used. This is unfortunately not something I can resolve, since the issue lies in the post processing framework. @Poupi this explains the issue you were having.

Fixed:
    - LUT
    * Compiler error when building for OpenGLES platforms (mobile platforms remain unsupported, but this at least resolves the error)
    - Fog
    * Radial toggle not taking effect when the gradient texture color mode is used

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/108753

40. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Until the end of August you can take advantage of a 50% discount!

On another note, I'm keeping tabs on the 2019.3 development. Looks like URP already has post processing integrated into the volume system, but there isn't a possibility for custom effects yet. I assume this will be the case in the beta or final release.

owen_proto likes this.
  41. pixpusher2

pixpusher2

Hello,

I'm interested in getting this just for the Cloud Shadow effect, but I'd like to know:
    1) Does it work with orthographic cameras?
    2) Can it work with semi-transparent materials?
    3) Is it possible to mark certain objects or materials to be excluded from the effect?

Thanks

42. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the effect and the post processing framework, these things aren't possible.

For this kind of scenario, the cloud shadows would need to be applied in the shader(s) the objects use. This is similar to how Unity's built-in fog works.

pixpusher2 likes this.
  43. zagreekie

zagreekie

44. macish

macish

If you mean dithering (look at the components on the right) then yes. The dithering effect is applaid according to the effects brightness threshhold setting. Without the heavily stylized look the dithering itself won't look as effective tho.
    I'd suggest to get the package and start playing around, look into the shader and start modifying them to your own need or make new ones based on what you can learn here. Its a great starting point and worth the money. The demo itself is a bit underwhelming because the "punch" comes from combining effects to get something unique, no the single ones "alone".

StaggartCreations likes this.
  45. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Small update on 2019.3 compatibility with HDRP and URP:

Next update will focus on HDRP compatibility, this is mostly a logistical issue I need to figure out. Since both the effect scripts and shaders need to be modified. I'm looking into a way to keep a single script and shader file that works across all versions and pipelines. This'll be less confusing to end users, and much easier to maintain for me.

Support for custom effects in URP is unfortunately still 6-12 months away according to Unity staff. And will be only available in Unity 2020+

46. Zillus

Zillus

Could I see some more examples of the posterise effect please? Ideally on some characters rather than environment. Thanks!

47. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Sure thing!
    Terrain_Editor_720p_(2019-10-25_10-34-11).jpg

Terrain_Editor_720p_(2019-10-25_10-39-03).jpg

Zillus and macish like this.
  48. macish

macish

Is there a reason why Tilt Shift needs the camera to be set to HDR to render the "lower" part of the blur? I was missing that part for a while and wonderes what i changed (since i did not recalled anything substantial) and then it seems in my test scene HDR was enabled. Since in my testscenen i loose around 20fps (90->70) without substantially better visuals i wonderes if this is an error in the TS shader or a limitation to need HDR?

49. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That sounds very unusual, this is likely a bug since the effect does not use any HDR information. Was this on a particular render pipeline, if so, which version?

I've identified an issue where the effect outputs a slightly brighter color than the input, just fixed it and will include it in next update. Though I did not find that HDR affects the blurring (I assume you meant the blurring area at the bottom of the screen).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  50. macish

macish

2018.4.8f1 forward rendering

and yes the blurring area at the bottom. The bottom one is gone without HDR only the distance blurring is being rendered no matter what settings. This is on a Vega56 19.10.1 not sure if this might be an AMD Issue, hmm writing that i could try that on my notebook it has a 1060. I'll try and report back.

Edit: same behaviour on a mobile 1060