Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SC Post Effects Pack [Built-in/URP] - 34 additional effects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StaggartCreations, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Gruguir

Gruguir

@StaggartCreations FYI getting a compilation error with LUT shader on mobile (GL ES 3.0)

Shader error in 'Hidden/SC Post Effects/LUT': undeclared identifier 'samplerTex' at line 35 (on gles)
    Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Mobile platforms are unfortunately not supported by this package. Due to the general amount of bandwidth needed for post effects, performance would be poor. Mobile devices would benefit far more from an "uber shader", the "Sleek Render: Mobile Post Processing Stack" asset is designed for mobiles around such a concept.

NeatWolf likes this.
  3. Betzalel

Betzalel

Hi! ias there an included texture for the sketch effect and im not finding it? or do we need to make our own?

4. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, there are 3 example textures. If you unpack the _Samples package (in the root folder) it will contain a "SketchStrokes" folder which you can import

5. ViewportAU

ViewportAU

Hi, I have update my project from unity 2018.2 to 2018.30f2.
    Everything works except SC Post Effects. I am trying to uninstall and install it back by deleting the folder SC Post Effects. but it doesn't work. I can still have access to the Help-> SC Post effect window. where everything is in green color (installed) even though I tried to remove it. When I add any effect the camera goes black.

Thank you.

6. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Try to disable any effects from the package, if it still turns out black, check if there is an updated version of the Post Processing Stack in the package manager. It should at least v2.1.0 for Unity 2018.3.

If that doesn't work out, please let me know which effects cause a black screen and on which platform you're developing.

7. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Is there a plan to add the wireframe effect?

8. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That unfortunately won't work as a post processing effect, since a wireframe shader needs more geometry information that otherwise available to a post effect. Edge detection is as close as it can get within the capabilities of a post effect.

9. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Ok, thanks for reply.

10. alexrau

alexrau

I had <3 this asset, using with Lightweight render pipeline in 2018.0f2 but when I updated to the latest unity package for Post Processing (2.1.3) It stopped showing up as option under Post Processing effect and takes about 10 minutes each time I start Unity for it to attempt to compile SC.
    Going to remove from project for time being, but looking forward to reinstalling when is resolved.

11. Sp-ce

Sp-ce

@StaggartCreations Hello, I'm very interested in your asset, but I'm wondering about a screen space comic book Zip-A-Tone effect - is this possible? I've seen the image with dithering/Comic Book Profile and it looks really great! But, can I use a custom texture for that effect to create a sort of more classic comic book style? Something like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screentone

Also, would this be compatible with your other asset, the Fantasy Adventure Environment? And, as I also use Toony Colors Pro 2, would screen space effect have any conflict with toon shaders/materials?

Cheers and thank you so much,
    Steve

hopeful likes this.
  12. erik8lrl

erik8lrl

New@StaggartCreations How can I access and change the values of the effects in the script from other objects? For example, I really like the black bar and want to use it as a transition effect, how would I do this?

13. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Could you check the Unity version? I assume you made a typo :p

There is no effect that's explicitly targeting screen- or halftone rendering. But the Overlay and Sketch effects can also serve this purpose.

Overlay using a screen tone texture:
    upload_2019-2-7_9-26-5.png
    This needs a minor modification to the Overlay shader code, so that the ratio of the texture is maintained, rather than stretched in the width. I'll add a toggle to the effect to allow this, but for now you could add the following line after line 18: uv.x *= _ScreenParams.x / _ScreenParams.y; Added since version 0.8.1

Sketch effect (using a different texture)
    upload_2019-2-7_9-28-51.png
    The added the benefit is that luminance is taken into account, so the texture only gradually shows towards darker shades.

Dithering, in my opinion the ideal option since luminance directly influences the density of the matrix:
    upload_2019-2-7_9-31-51.png
    The downside here is that it doesn't support a custom texture, the pattern is programatically created. I already have the task in my backlog to convert the effect to use a texture instead, which will allow for more patterns (eg halftone).

As for compatibility, the majority of the effects draw over whatever is presented on the screen, so that won't cause any issues. More detailed information about compatibility can be found here: http://staggart.xyz/unity/sc-post-effects/scpe-docs/#compatibility-2

I have not used scripting to address effects much, but the Post Processing Stack has a "QuickVolume" function. Which essentially creates a new volume and a temporary profile, in turn you can set the property for any effects you add to it through script.

Here is an example implementation for the Black Bars effect, which will override the "size" parameter.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing;
    7. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    8. public class BlackBarsController : MonoBehaviour
    9. {
    10.     [Range(0f, 1f)]
    11.     public float size = 0f;
    13.     private PostProcessVolume volume;
    14.     private SCPE.BlackBars effect;
    16.     private void OnEnable()
    17.     {
    18.         //Force to PostProcessing layer (or whichever layer your PostProcessLayer is configured to)
    19.         this.gameObject.layer = LayerMask.NameToLayer("PostProcessing");
    21.         effect = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<SCPE.BlackBars>();
    23.         //Override values, as you would do in the inspector
    24.         effect.enabled.Override(true);
    25.         effect.size.overrideState = true;
    27.         //Create a virtual volume and profile
    28.         volume = PostProcessManager.instance.QuickVolume(gameObject.layer, 999f, effect);
    29.     }
    31.     private void Update()
    32.     {
    33.         //Apply the size value to that of the effect
    34.         effect.size.value = size;
    35.     }
    37.     private void OnDisable()
    38.     {
    39.         //Cleanup so the temporary (invisible) object doesn't linger
    40.         if (volume) RuntimeUtilities.DestroyVolume(volume, false);
    41.     }
    42. }

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  14. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Submitted v0.8.0. Also tested out 2019.1, but the shader libraries have to be access using a different path yet again, so it is not supported at the time.

This means there's now a different shader file needed per Unity version. I will have to extend the installer to rewrite the shaders as needed, and create an upgrade wizard (eg. for upgrading from 2018.1 to 2018.2). For the final release I'll decide the minimum supported version (for the SRP as well, which is ridiculously confusing at this point).

0.8.1:
    Added:
    - Overlay
    * Now features a "Auto aspect" toggle, to prevent a square texture from being stretched
    Fixed:
    - Dithering
    * Color blowout when using HDR (occasional occurrence)​
    - Sketch
    * Screen-space mode will maintain a square ratio for the sketch texture​

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  15. Sp-ce

Sp-ce

@staggergames Great! Thank you so much for the detailed response, I really appreciate it! I'll keep considering my options, but I'll likely turn to this.

Cheers,
    Steve

16. alexrau

alexrau

17. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there Jonathan!

Is there any chance you could implement some sort of "Direct lighting sunshafts", that is, parallel light sunshafts?
    I've seen it used in some casual game about the Lord of The Ring, and currently I can't find a single implementation of it in the whole store.

I still haven't fully delved into postFX programming, but I believe it could just be some sort of "directional, gradient bleeding" of the contour of non-sky parts, as a screen space effect, in the direction of the direct light. Probably with some setting to control the length of the streaks.

But, would also be cool if it was able to generate those nice streaks in the woods coming from above.

And nope, I know I could just fake it with particle systems or imposters, but I would love to finally have it as post FX :D

(btw, I know it's not a mobile oriented asset, but +1 in leaning towards having at least a few of the postFX to fully support the fast&dirty approach to make them work on mobile. Or SRP at least :) )

Best,
    Alessandro

18. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

hello,
    does it support on HD SRP?

19. Lavapotion

Lavapotion

@staggergames I can't get your post effects to adhere to the volumes weight values.
    My setup has just one global volume with a tilt shift effect on it, and changing the weight of the volume does nothing until the value hits zero, where as the tilt shift effect is completely removed.
    I would expect the tilt shift effect to fade from full to zero when changing the volume weight.
    Btw, the same thing applies to any of the effects we've tested.

20. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Sorry, I still have to check this, I've been preoccupied with other projects. I did check the code, but there is no code that executes when the editor launches that could cause a slowdown like that. It sounds like the "SCPE" define symbol is being removed and re-added from the Player Settings, this is the only thing that could trigger a recompile. If you use any editor code, like a custom build tool, that could be the culprit. If you're using other assets that use a define symbol (MicroSplat, Vegetation Studio, Gaia, to name a few), they would have the same issue.

Either way, I'll check if this a version specific issue, so far I've haven't encountered this behaviour from Unity 5.6 through 2018.3.

Hey!

I believe I understand what you mean. Currently, the sunshaft effect does a radial blur emitting from the sun's position, which could be converted to a directional blur instead. Not sure how this'll pan out, but it's worth looking into to, I've added it to my Trello board

Not completely, but this is bound to improve when the SRP development has stabilised. You can find more details here: http://staggart.xyz/unity/sc-post-effects/scpe-docs/#compatibility-2

Please try the volume blending demo scene, and see if that works for you. For volume blending to work, a volume needs another volume to blend to (for some parameters it's not as simple as blending values to 0). Otherwise the effects will blend to their default values. I'll have to change them so the effects are "off" by default, now I understand why this is the case for all of Unity's effects :p

What you can do now, is to create a "Base" profile and volume (set to global) with the priority set to 0. Then add all the effects you want to use blending on and override all the parameters. Next, set them up to make the effect invisible. For example, adding the overlay effect and setting the opacity to 0. After which you'll need another volume with the priority set to 1. If you add the overlay effect with an opacity value set to 1, the volume's "Weight" value shows a blending behaviour.

I use the same set up, where my base volume has has all the quality settings for the Fog. And I use local volumes to override the global density or fog height values, this works swimmingly. I hope that clarifies it, if not, feel free to ask! I'll be sure to change the default values for all the effects so this is more straightforward.

NeatWolf likes this.
  21. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Here's some reference:

It is LoTR - War in The North.

Now, let's just focus on the FX, one of the things I remember the game for :p

It's very subtle, but looks really nice (IMO) against forests, castle walls and open areas:

In the video it's a bit hard to see, since the player wasn't just staring at the sky and at the postFX like I was :p

Here in the picture it is a little bit more evident.
    It could either use an angle relative to the camera and the parallel light source (so, facing the light source the bleeding goes stright down at maximum intensity, and disappears when facing the opposite way), or just have a fixed, slanted angle.
    To me, at the time, looked pretty good, since most solutions were definitely heavier and had some banding.
    This approach is definitely not physically accurate, but it should be (relatively) fast and smooth, since it's basically bleeding the z-buffer mask diagonally in screen space.
    Not sure if it can be achieved using a threshold luma value, or a specific color range/hue (it even worked smoothly with clouds IIRC, being effectively god-rays) to get a texture/mask, bump its brightness a bit and actually starting from there to create the effect.
    ln14.jpg Lotrwitn-020.jpg ben-harrison-fornost-16.jpg rory-young-fornost-ruins-07.jpg The_Lord_of_the_Rings_War_in_the_North_-_Eradan,_Andriel_&_Farin2.jpg

Would also be cool if it also worked as a non-SS post FX, instead of just using imposters/meshes/particle systems and faking the "god rays in a forest" effect. I can't think of a method to have it done in world space that doesn't involve having a cut-out camera rendering the ray mask.

Or, using maybe some more elaborate shaders.
    Yet, at first I was going to target mobile because I assumed it was relatively lightweight compared to actual volumetric, shadowcasting sunshafts :p

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
    Alessandro

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  22. unity_dev3194

unity_dev3194

Hey, when do you think you will be able to add VR support for height fog?

23. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Just checked this in 2018.3.2 and 2018.3.4 but the Post Processing package at version 2.1.3 did not cause any effects to disappear for me. Check in your Projects Settings under the Player tab if your script define symbols still contains "SCPE". If it was removed for whatever reason the effect scripts will not compile, so add it if necessary.

All I can say now is that it's on the to-do list, so I cannot provide an ETA. Last time I investigated a fix, the solution was unfortunately not apparent to me.

unity_dev3194 likes this.
  24. unity_dev3194

unity_dev3194

Ah, many thanks for the update!

NeatWolf likes this.
  25. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

@StaggartCreations,

hi,
    how can i access to specific effect, like as "Invert" effect to controlling it by script?
    i mean controlling the amount.

26. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Davood_Kharmanzar likes this.
  27. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

@StaggartCreations
    hello,
    is it possible to install SC PostEffects without using installation window?
    i want to integrate this package into my package to using it on my projects without importing this package again!

28. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, if you're sure the Post Processing Stack is installed, you can add the "SCPE" scripting define symbol to the project, which will enable all the scripts.

29. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

howto do it by script?

30. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

The easiest thing to do is the open the Installer.cs script file and edit this function (found at the start of the file) like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class RunOnImport : AssetPostprocessor
    2.         {
    3.             static void OnPostprocessAllAssets(string[] importedAssets, string[] deletedAssets, string[] movedAssets, string[] movedFromAssetPaths)
    4.             {
    5.                 foreach (string str in importedAssets)
    6.                 {
    7.                     if (str.Contains("Installer.cs"))
    8.                     {
    9.                         DefineSymbol.Add();
    10.                         //InstallerWindow.ShowWindow();
    11.                     }
    12.                 }
    13.             }
    14.         }
    So whenever the Installer script file is imported in a new project, it will simply add the define symbol and skip the installation screen.

31. ItsJayD

ItsJayD

Hey, I saw the earlier reply about controlling the effect through QuickVolume, but when I try to set the Color value for the Fog, I get this error: upload_2019-3-7_23-4-23.png

I've tried researching this type, but trying to take a color value and put it in the ColorParameter type of data is proving difficult. I was wondering if you knew anything at all about this.
    Thanks

32. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

All the parameters for post processing effects are derived from the ParameterOverride class. This is so that they can be flagged as "overridden" and blended between volumes, next to having an actual value.

So you cannot assign a value to it directly, you'll have to assign the value property:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. scpeFog.fogColor.value = finalColor;

33. ItsJayD

ItsJayD

Oh!!! That makes sense, thanks for your prompt reply!!

34. ItsJayD

ItsJayD

Update: fixed my script, got the fog to actively change based on a procedural skybox's value. My solution is pretty janky tho, it uses a second camera that gives it output into a 3x3 render texture, that then combines the color values, that gets sent to the fog. There's absolutely a more elegant solution to this tho lol

35. Crocomodo

Crocomodo

Is it possible to mask edge detection per pixel?

36. Skjalg

Skjalg

When importing I get 6 errors

I am running 2018.3.9 iphone target on windows platform (dx 11)
    Unity_2019-03-25_14-31-30.png
    Shader error in 'Hidden/PostProcessing/ScalableAO': failed to open source file: 'ScalableAO.hlsl' at line 24 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Hidden/PostProcessing/ScalableAO': failed to open source file: 'ScalableAO.hlsl' at line 54 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING

Shader error in 'Hidden/PostProcessing/ScalableAO': failed to open source file: 'ScalableAO.hlsl' at line 82 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program

Shader error in 'Hidden/PostProcessing/ScalableAO': failed to open source file: 'ScalableAO.hlsl' at line 96 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program

Shader error in 'Hidden/PostProcessing/SubpixelMorphologicalAntialiasing': failed to open source file: 'SubpixelMorphologicalAntialiasingBridge.hlsl' at line 47 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program

Shader error in 'Hidden/PostProcessing/SubpixelMorphologicalAntialiasing': failed to open source file: 'SubpixelMorphologicalAntialiasingBridge.hlsl' at line 86 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program

Shader error in 'Hidden/PostProcessing/SubpixelMorphologicalAntialiasing': failed to open source file: 'SubpixelMorphologicalAntialiasingBridge.hlsl' at line 98 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program

When opening up DemoRooms I get 3 errors. None of them have any more info than printed below, unfortunately.

RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 2 in DrawMesh
    RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 5 in DrawMesh
    RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 6 in DrawMesh

Also, none of the effects work in the demo scene when playing, although I checked that Blur works in my own scene and it does, which is great :)

But, I cant get the sun shafts effect to work in my own scene.

37. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

If you're getting errors for any built-in effects it's a telltale sign something if up with your Post Processing Stack installation. Though, sometimes reimporting the offending shader will do the trick, or restarting Unity. The "invalid pass index" errors are usually thrown when a shader is missing or failed to compile due to an error.

If you're using Unity 2018.1+ I suggest to check the Package Manager and update the Post Processing package if necessary (2.1.4 is safe!). For older versions you can get it as a package here

Worth noting that this package doesn't supported mobile platforms, so it hasn't been tested in any way.

38. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hi, great asset, thanks !
    Just a bit of feedback about my experience.

I have the habit of storing all my downloaded assets from the store in a plugin package.
    It seems impossible as long as it broke some path and nothing works, can't add any effect.
    Maybe you should warn about this ? Or find a solution to allow folder change ? I don't know if it is possible.

During the installation, I unpacked the demos but they didn't work because of the wrong folder issue.
    I deleted them, went back to the installer but no way to re import them.
    I had to delete all and to re import all from the asset store.

These two are really not a big deal but depending on the habits of people this can be confusing.

I loved to see an "old movie" effect for my game over screen I would be very cool.

Thanks, great job!

39. blaher

blaher

I'm getting errors in Unity 2019.1. My code:

SCPE.LightStreaks lst;
    postVolume.profile.TryGetSettings<SCPE.LightStreaks>(out lst);
    lst.active = lightstreaks;

gives error:

The type 'SCPE.LightStreaks' cannot be used as type parameter 'T' in the generic type or method 'PostProcessProfile.TryGetSettings<T>(out T)'. There is no implicit reference conversion from 'SCPE.LightStreaks' to 'UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessEffectSettings'.

40. Rafarel

Rafarel

I just Updated my Unity version and I had to download the Update from the asset store for the update on Unity 2019 compatibility

41. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hello @StaggartCreations I have random errors of shader compilation since I've updated to Unity 2019 and made the package upgrade. Error like these :

Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 12.57.28.png

All the path are good, and all files are at their location... It works on my PC but when I checked out the project on my Mac, these errors start to appear. I had a similar issue on my PC with a custom shader of mine using your libs the error disappeared by rewriting the includes lines with the same content, super weird.
    Can you help me with that please ?

42. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I occasionally noticed this yesterday in 2019.1 as well. It's a strange occurrence, since everything is configured correctly. I assume the shader compiler sometimes acts up since this version. They did some internal work on shader includes to support packages better (render pipelines/shader graph), so this may very well have introduced a bug.

To get around this, you can click on the error, which will highlight the shader file. Next right-click on the shader and choose “Reimport”, this will nudge things back into place.

I could not reproduce the error on Mac, but you may have to reinstall the Post Processing Stack, since this is stored locally on each PC.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  43. Rafarel

Rafarel

I reimported and restart Unity and the issue is gone ... Strange
    Thanks for your help

StaggartCreations likes this.
  44. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Hi, will this plugin support 2019.1 HDRP?

45. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Version 5.3 of the HDRP (since 2019.1) started using a custom post processing stack integrated into the render pipeline. It currently doesn't support custom effects as addons.

This was said to be possible in the future, but I have yet to see how this will pan out and if I can port the effects to this setup ;)

Compatibility notes will always be updated here: http://staggart.xyz/unity/sc-post-effects/scpe-docs/?section=compatibility-2

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    AngelBeatsZzz likes this.
  46. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Hi !

I wanna know how to set multiple Kuwaraha setting depend of range, like kuwaraha start at 500 with value of 1, and between 1000 to 1500 kuwaraha have value of 2, and other 1500 he have value of 3.

I'm not an expert in shader, i tryed to did it but without many success yet :(

47. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Unfortunately due to the nature of the effect that won't be possible. The "radius" value has to be constant throughout the screen.

48. Revan3192

Revan3192

Hi!

I'm trying to create an Underwater postprocessing. The fog effect has an option for using Gradient Texture. How does it work? Because I'm tring to insert a gradient texture but it doesn't work. Always appear only one color( normally the top one). I tryed to change the direction but have a flickering between two colors. Any idea?

49. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Underneath the gradient texture field, you'll notice a distance parameter, this controls over which distance the gradient is applied. The left side of the gradient will always be near the camera, and the right side at the distance value (in meters). This means the gradient texture must be horizontal, rather than vertical.

When you tick the automatic button, the distance value will automatically be set to the camera's far-clipping plane. So the gradient will be distributed over the camera's entire visible range (from its near- to far-clipping plane). Unity's scene-view camera often has a render distance of 10 kilometers, in which case you'll probably only see the far left color of the gradient.

Since Unity 2019.1 you can actually control the scene camera's clipping planes. You can see here how it affects the distribution of the gradient.

Disabling the automatic toggle and setting a manual distance values gives you consistent control over the effect. Hope that clarifies it ;)

50. joshcamas

joshcamas

Looks like the fog shader draws over transparent stuff. Is this a known issue?