Search Unity

Official Say hello to the new Starter Asset packages

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnityHas, Jun 9, 2021.

1. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

2. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

Does this happen in both the FPS and Third Person assets? I can't reproduce it, but I don't have a Linux Mint machine to test on.

I don't have a simple solution, but if it's absolutely dire you could switch to polling-based input. In other words, check the state of each button at the beginning of each update loop rather than relying on input callbacks.

3. Pixitales

Pixitales

it happens in built too. I think it might be the camera rotation multiple by time.deltaTime. I havent check if that is causing the problem yet. If put a gun or just a cube in place holder of a gun, u can see its trying to catch up with the camera.

4. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

Try removing the multiplication of the look input by Time.deltaTime as was suggested here. @vertxxyz and I have been discussing it for a couple days and I believe they're right.

5. awesomedata

awesomedata

Please believe me -- I appreciate the consideration on this part.

But, if you really mean what you're saying, then I fundamentally disagree on this part (in bold).

As experienced programmers, Unity devs automatically feel like they can easily "add" anything.
    On the other hand, for beginner programmers (and non-technical people such as technical artists who must dabble in code) -- the story is MUCH different. We rarely want to code. We just HAVE to code -- because Unity offers us no other choice.

Many beginners don't even know where to look in the (heavily broken-up) API and packages in Unity (much less the required assemblies, callbacks, etc.) for the code they need to "add" -- and for many, it is MUCH easier to simply modify something existing (or strip away things that have a clearly-defined, centralized, location).

Fine, I won't argue about what's approachable.
    But I will argue that you would be wrong -- and you would lose that bet.

While I am an "advanced" user, I am only "advanced" on the technical side because I have HAD to learn that side in order to accomplish anything in Unity. I don't know who is churning the rumor-mill there at Unity, but they've got it all wrong.

Have you never wondered why there are so many programmers in Unity (and not as many artists/designers?) This kind of thinking (i.e. it is easier to "add" than to take away) is why. It most certainly is NOT easier to "add" than to "remove" code (at least for non-Unity team programmers) -- especially when your API is all over the place and even how you are supposed to code certain things changes all the time, and with every version.
    As an artist/designer, I happen to enjoy thinking more laterally by default. I refuse to force myself to internalize "thinking like a programmer" because that would require me looking externally for every answer, without any real clue as to what I want -- and then (blindly) experimenting and failing constantly -- wasting a lot of time -- even though I already have a clear and solid approach to the basic structure of the design I'm after that should work already. This is wasting of time digging through disparate API and poor documentation is not "fun" for me as an artist/designer. I am not privy to the info you as a Unity developer have. So it is MUCH slower for me to "add". In place of that knowledge, I want to iterate and add OR remove -- as needed. And the "remove" part is simple -- just keep it containerized and modular (and easy to access and/or discover) -- rather than not having basic functionality to begin with.

After all, if you really did understand what an artist/designer needs, you would also know that "adding" doesn't always 'improve' a thing. Usually it is what you remove that makes things "better" in the long run. However, you have to actually have something there to "remove" in the first place. :/

I appreciate your perspective, but I must say this --
    Maybe _your_ experience clouds your judgement on these issues, but my experience actually benefits mine.
    If you are looking at someone who has become an "expert" at being a 'beginner' -- look no further than yours truly.

I am an artist/designer who just so happens to be a researcher who researches the most efficient artist/designer tools and workflows available for beginners (and small-to-large inexperienced teams). Said tools and workflows often involve a non-technical approach to a solution of very "technically-minded" problem, meaning I am extremely used to dealing with the whole "programmer bias" thing you're referring to here. However, as an artist/designer who actually uses these tools/workflows -- I understand that there are other (better) ways to seek the answers you need from users than to poll random users (whose experience and mindset varies wildly) on (programmer-designed) tools that are only slightly better in one area -- while being immensely worse in other areas -- for those same users. It is, after all, impossible to "test" every single element without the context of many other, unexpected, elements being thrown at the design (elements, such as proceduralism) that the programmers/designers didn't fully anticipate (or provide solutions for).

Mecanim comes to mind here.

Remember how "great" the state-based approach was to author animations? -- Remember how cool it was to be able to 'blend' walks in various different directions with a nice UI? -- Remember how NOT procedural it was? -- Remember how terrible its UX (and various APIs) were to make it do anything it wasn't actually designed for?

No? -- Well, I do -- And it sucked -- and that's why Animation Rigging exists now.
    Yet people like me (as in artists/designers who must code to fulfill their design vision) are STILL trying to figure out that damn muscle/skeleton API to this day -- because it's "default" -- and is naturally thought of as the 'foundation' of what Unity's version of "animation" is supposed to be. I still have to correct people who are after procedural animation and point them to Animation Rigging -- all because of a broken-up, tool design that has no (and can't have a) very clear and centralized structure (like Mecanim tried to be). This "if we don't anticipate it, don't add it" mindset trickles down to tools like these Starter Assets. Again, this is a design problem -- not a programming one.

Programmers really shouldn't be solving these kinds of problems. This is because "form-follows-function" is typically an 'artist' concept and clearly not a very well-understood aspect of Unity's in-house programmer 'design' artistry, since "function" is not well-enough understood by those at Unity who must take liberties on said 'form' (such as deciding which things should and should not be included). This also applies to which things should be centralized (versus tucked away in the API) -- And thanks to your statements, this lack of understanding is both clear and evident (and quite provable) because (you said it yourself) that you must rely on user testing (users of wildly varying experience levels and ideas of game development processes, patterns, and methodologies) to finally 'justify' your own in-house "designs" to yourself -- when you don't even know what you're truly "designing" to begin with. Unity's version of "user-testing" would be like if Picasso asked his friends/family whether his paintings were "good" or "bad" before he decided to ultimately still paint in the strange style he had already chosen -- in order to "justify" it. How much sense does that make?? -- If those particular friends/family are not people who sympathize with his viewpoint (or if these particular people are not people who even understand it), that "justification" process quickly becomes baseless. But it was baseless to begin with, since Picasso chose to go his own way anyway!
    Unity does this all the time!!! -- People often know what they like -- but without the (correct) type of experience (and knowhow to be thinking globally), people's opinions, ideas, feelings, mindsets, methodologies, and priorities are so different that mindlessly listening to them can easily wreck your design (without you even realizing it). This is exactly why users without objective reasoning cannot be relied upon, since design clearly follows a more globalized approach to a solution that helps everybody -- not just that one person (or their way of thinking) that the Unity programmers think has a good idea. This objective thinking, from multiple users' perspectives, that takes _everyone_ into account, is exactly what I've offered you with my suggestion for something more centralized and inclusive (and also "humane") -- and your reductionist ideals are dismissing it, without a clear rationale as to why my suggestions are the wrong approach.

I'm not here to stir the pot, but anyone who agrees with me should speak up -- otherwise, we all will have to just deal with this mindset in the future (and the shape of the tooling and designs you keep getting will remain the same -- that is, unpredictable and hard-to-use, because of the reductionist philosophy.)

In life, things are not always so cut-and-dry.
    True simplicity is always composed of some inherent or implied complexity under-the-hood.
    In this case, "complexity" just means better design and organization (and discoverability) of something's functionality (for the purposes of "addition" or "removal" -- at least in this case of the definition of "functionality").

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    TeagansDad and Neonage like this.
  6. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

I understand that you're frustrated. I hope you find value in a future version of our character controllers, or if not, you find a character controller that better suits your needs.

7. awesomedata

awesomedata

Sorry -- I didn't mean to unload on you like that. What I mentioned above is just a perspective that bothers me because it's so prevalent and everybody seems to act like there is no other way to look at hard problems. I'm very passionate about what I do, and so I can be a bit stubborn about making it known when I feel people are following a limited mindset.

I understand that not everyone wants to change their thinking. However, I definitely feel people should listen to one another more often regardless -- especially to those who are passionate about something (and don't have an agenda to push). There is always a lot to learn, even if one does not ever fully adopt the other person's perspective.

TeagansDad likes this.
  8. ILJI

ILJI

Found an issue and fix for
    ThirdPersonController.cs
    - propably just an oversight.
    Currently when using Analog Movement, using a analog stick for movement, the character will slide, keep on moving too fast, when slowly decelerating via the stick.

Code (CSharp):
    1. // ThirdPersonController.cs
    2. // → regarding the else statement, current implementation and easy fix
    3. // --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5. // Line 186-199 currently in v1.0:
    6.             // accelerate or decelerate to target speed
    7.             if (currentHorizontalSpeed < targetSpeed - speedOffset || currentHorizontalSpeed > targetSpeed + speedOffset)
    8.             {
    9.                 // creates curved result rather than a linear one giving a more organic speed change
    10.                 // note T in Lerp is clamped, so we don't need to clamp our speed
    11.                 _speed = Mathf.Lerp(currentHorizontalSpeed, targetSpeed * inputMagnitude, Time.deltaTime * SpeedChangeRate);
    13.                 // round speed to 3 decimal places
    14.                 _speed = Mathf.Round(_speed * 1000f) / 1000f;
    15.             }
    16.             else
    17.             {
    18.                 _speed = targetSpeed;
    19.             }
    21. // --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    22. // SHOULD BE:
    23.             // ...same as above
    24.             else
    25.             {
    26.                 _speed = targetSpeed * inputMagnitude; // FIX
    27.                 _speed = Mathf.Round(_speed * 1000f) / 1000f; // round now as well
    28.             }

bronsonzgeb likes this.
  9. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

Thank you! We'll fix it in the next update.

ILJI likes this.
  10. alber_developer

alber_developer

I have a doubt, I've never used the New Input System, and I don't know how it works at all. I want to add a new button in mobile devices UI (UI_Canvas_StarterAssetsInputs_Joysticks), I added a new button and functions in scripts:
    • Assets/StarterAssets/InputSystem/StarterAssetsInputs.cs
    • Assets/StarterAssets/Mobile/Scripts/CanvasInputs/UICanvasControllerInput.cs
    And assigned the "Output -> Button State Output Event" in my new button under "UI Virtual Button (Script)"

Finally I don't know how to bind my new UI button in the New Input System as well:
    Selection_074.png
    Why and where is the config to say, for example for jump: "Button South [Gamepad]" I can't find the relation between.

Thank you a lot, this asset is awesome!

11. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

The character controller reads the input from from StarterAssetsInput.cs, so let's work backwards from there.

In ThirdPersonController.cs (or FirstPersonController.cs) you'll want to read the bool fire from StarterAssetsInput.cs. So first add that bool
    public bool fire
    alongside the other bools in that file. Then, add a new function to StarterAssetsInput.cs:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void FireInput(bool newFireState)
    2. {
    3.     fire = newFireState;
    4. }
    This function will set the fire boolean inside StarterAssetsInput. Now, because mobile controls are virtual, we need to create another function inside UICanvasControllerInput.cs:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void VirtualFireInput(bool virtualFireState)
    2. {
    3.     starterAssetsInputs.FireInput(virtualFireState);
    4. }
    You mentioned creating a new UI Virtual Button, set that Button's "Button State Output Event" to this newly created function. Since the mobile controls are virtual, they don't go through the New Input System, so at this point you're all set for mobile. To make it work for other devices that use the Input System, you can create a new function inside StarterAssetsInput.cs:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void OnFire(InputValue value)
    2. {
    3.     FireInput(value.isPressed);
    4. }        
    The Input System will automatically look for a function called "On[ActionName]" so in your case "OnFire". The input system will call
    FireInput
    through
    OnFire
    . The UIVirtualButton will call
    FireInput
    through
    VirtualFireInput
    . Both will set the
    fire
    bool, which you can read from inside the CharacterController.

12. alber_developer

alber_developer

Okay! So the binding is in case there is a controller connected, I thought it was related to the virtual button somehow in the "Input Actions". I just needed to add in Assets/StarterAssets/ThirdPersonController/Scripts/ThirdPersonController.cs the condition input.fire:

Code (CSharp):
    2. private void Fire()
    3. {
    4.     if (_input.fire)
    5.     {
    6.         // update animator if using character
    7.         if (_hasAnimator)
    8.         {
    9.             _animator.SetTrigger(_animIDFire);
    10.             _input.fire = false;
    11.         }
    12.     }
    13. }
    It works perfectly!

Thank you!

bronsonzgeb likes this.
  13. Julius48484

Julius48484

Hi,

Firstly, thank you for this, it came at just the right time in starting a new project for me.

I'm a relative novice with unity, but have some coding experience. I'm finding the new input system challenging on this CC, becasue if you look up Unity tutorials for the new input system, they don't use the framework you have used.
    Regardless after an hour of watching tutorials that don't match what you have done, and looking through your code, I have worked out how to add Inputs and call those Inputs in code. Is there good documentation to work out this system in your CC release? Again from a novices point of view it's a barrier to get into, because most guides online reference the old input system, or recommend using the new input system in a different way.

One issue I do have is using your method I have no idea how to make an action happen on press or release. I tried just selecting this in the Input mapper - but that didn't work. I tried setting the input action to false in code and that worked for on button press.

Thanks again.

14. Alien_J

Alien_J

Is there a way to give the character a little farther jumping distance forward? Right now it seems like he barely moves during a run and jump.

15. az3911777

az3911777

it sticks both there(joystick) and there (zones).
    I asked the same question before).

16. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

I can help you sort this out. I think this previous post explains how to add a new input.

I can't be sure what we're doing differently from the tutorials or documentation, but perhaps it's because we're using the "Send Messages" behaviour on the PlayerInput component? Under this behaviour, the PlayerInput component will SendMessage to the game object it's attached to with the name On[ActionName] (ie. OnMove, OnLook, OnJump) whenever that action is triggered. To see how to work with this you check StarterAssetsInputs.cs for the functions OnMove, OnLook, OnJump, OnSprint. So if you wanted to add a new action, for example "Fire", you'd add an action called Fire in the InputActions window, then add a function called OnFire to StarterAssetsInputs.cs. You can query the InputValue argument to check if the button is pressed (value.isPressed) to check if the button was pressed or released.

Let me know if this helps!

17. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

The jumping velocity is identical to the movement velocity. That is, the character moves at the same speed horizontally whether they're in the air or not. So you could increase the horizontal velocity when the character isn't grounded (
    currentHorizontalSpeed
    on line 181 is probably a good place to start), or increase the jump height?

Or maybe you found a bug? Can you let me know what platform you're on so we can investigate?

18. alber_developer

alber_developer

Hello! I have a new question. I'm trying to remove "SprintButton" and do run the character with the joystick instead. The movement must be depending on the magnitude of the joysticks drag. For example, from start to middle the player must "walk" and from middle to end, the player must "run". Would it be easy do this change?

Thanks for the support!

19. Alien_J

Alien_J

So after doing some tests with basic Probuilder cubes as a measuring stick, the character was able to do a standing vertical jump about 0.27m farther than a standing forward jump.

Using Unity 20.3.11

20. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

Yeah it's straightforward. In StarterAssetsInputs.cs there's the function MoveInput(). All the move input passes through here, whether it's from touch controls or joystick. You could change it to something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void MoveInput(Vector2 newMoveDirection)
    2. {
    3.     sprint = newMoveDirection.magnitude > 0.5f;
    4.     move = newMoveDirection;
    5. }
    Which basically says if the length of the move input vector is greater than 0.5 (ie. the stick is pressed more than halfway) then sprint is true, and otherwise it's false.

If you want to be nitpicky about optimization you could also do this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public void MoveInput(Vector2 newMoveDirection)
    3. {
    4.    sprint = newMoveDirection.sqrMagnitude > 0.25f;
    5.    move = newMoveDirection;
    6. }
    Which is the same thing, but it avoids doing a square root operation every frame.

21. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

I brought this to the team, and we're wondering if it could be caused by the slope limit stuff on the built-in character controller. Since the character is a capsule, it could be that by jumping while the slope of the capsule is interacting with the corner of a probuilder cube is causing some bad jumps.

Can you confirm that you're jumping from cube to cube and not on flat ground? That would help narrow down the possibilities.

22. Alien_J

Alien_J

Inside the Starter Asset scene, i jump straight up from flat ground to the top of the cube (space then w). Then, i do i standing foward jump ( space then w, also reversed, w then space).

I will test the cube to cube tonight.

23. alber_developer

alber_developer

Yeah! It works like a charm!

Thank you so much! I hope that my game sees the light in Google Play :p

bronsonzgeb likes this.
  24. Alien_J

Alien_J

I was doing a flat jump from the ground to determine the jump height. And from flat ground with a thin cube in front of character to determine jump distance.

After seeing your post, I retried both jumps. From flat ground straight up, and then from 1m sized cubes with 1m of space in-between each cube.

Average forward jump distance going from cube to cube was around 1.56m
    Height jump, a little harder to determine exact height, appears to be in that same range.

But, standing forward jump on a 3m long cube, jump distance was pretty steady at 1.80m. I ran the jump tests 10 times each.

Why would the cube to cube jump distance be shorter than just jumping forward from flat ground to flat ground?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  25. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

From here we can only guess, but the character's collider is capsule shaped so once you reach a ledge you'll start to slide downwards a bit. That means it's possible that you're jumping from a lower height. Additionally, there are some kind of friction forces that get applied to stop the capsule from sliding off, and also to prevent it from climbing slopes that are too steep. So there's a chance these things are affecting the jump as well once you reach a ledge? I can't really say for certain.

I'm trying to replicate the issue on my side but not having any luck. I set up this simple automated test script, maybe it could help you as well? Using the default settings, from what I can tell the jump height is always around 1.35 units. The jump distance is a bit further if you jump from walking or running because you don't have to accelerate first. A standing jump is about 2.2 units, a walking jump is about 2.3 units, a running jump is somewhere up around 6 units.

Alien_J likes this.
  26. Yuler

Yuler

I found an issue with the jumping in the first person asset. If you take the controller into the yellow tunnel and jump, the character will be stuck midair until they leave the tunnel where they will be forced to complete the jump.

Additionally, It would be nice to have some sort of ceiling check because even when the controller doesn't get stuck in a jump, the controller 'sticks' to the ceiling until the jump force runs out.

Relating to the stutter issue, I think its two simultaneous stutter issues. The known issue of having the 'Transform' section expanded causes stutter, but on top of that, having some scripts expanded (i.e. StarterAssetInputs, InputSystemUIInputModule) also causes stutter. Also an odd thing I found is that even when the mouse input stutters, using a gamepad remains smooth for both stutter issues.

Currently my stutter 'fix' is to just click on the scene root when I'm not changing or monitoring any values because there is absolutely nothing in the inspector there.

bronsonzgeb likes this.
  27. RikuS3n

RikuS3n

How can I change FOV? It is fixed with 40 and I can't move it as I want.

28. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

You have to change it on the CinemachineVirtualCamera because Cinemachine forces its settings on the camera it's controlling.

There's an object in the hierarchy called PlayerFollowCamera with a CinemachineVirtualCamera component on it. Here, under Lens there are settings for FOV, Near Clip Plane and Far Clip Plane.

29. RikuS3n

RikuS3n

Thank you so much for your information! This made my day, very appreciate!

bronsonzgeb likes this.
  30. Shizola

Shizola

Just testing the FPS controller:
    • The look sensitivity seems related to the screen resolution? I don't know how FPS games handle this but it doesn't feel quite right. This might explain why some people thought the default was too slow.
    • The actual look sensitivity seems far higher in my build rather than editor, when compared to game window maximized.
    • The random camera jumps whilst playing in editor are really annoying, still seems to occasionally happen when nothing selected in hierarchy.
    • If you start the playground scene, turn 90 degrees and then look at your feet the camera will jump slightly every time, maybe a cinemachine issue?
    • Even looking around in the build looks quite jittery, I guess FPS smooth out your input to some degree?
    • Maybe add a crosshair? Just so a beginner knows how they work.

bronsonzgeb likes this.
  31. Blento

Blento

How apply footstep sounds?

32. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

I believe the simplest way is to add animation events to the walk and run animations when the foot hits the ground. Then play a sound when the event occurs.

33. ForteGospel

ForteGospel

how can we apply forces to the 3rd person controller if it doesnt has a rigidbody? (i've tried to add to it but then it got stuck with with the falling animation)

34. awesomedata

awesomedata

Oh. But wait. Don't you know how much _easier_ it is to "add" things to this than it is to "take them away"?

Wait. Hold on a sec...

Uh..

Umm...

Uhhhh...

Errr...

Okay -- I sense some conflicts in logic here. Sorry. Just mindlessly repeating what has been told to me in the past.

Carry on. ;P

35. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure if there's a good answer because the built-in CharacterController component wasn't really built for this. If it were me and I was working on a project that needed this, I would build my controller from a Rigidbody rather than the built-in CharacterController. We're working on a Rigidbody-based CharacterController now, but it's not ready to release yet. For a more in-depth breakdown I think this video is excellent.

36. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry that you're disappointed. We're trying our best.

MadeFromPolygons and awesomedata like this.
  37. ez_modz

ez_modz

Hey good work however I can't seem to figure out 1 little problem. (On a fresh scene when I Import 3rd person capsule then jump down a slope or stairs, I'm not able to jump agian unitl I get off that slope.)I see The Grounded check is constantly being set to true and false simultaneously when moving down slope after jumping on it. I tried to make ground check bigger and change step values but nothing seems to work.

38. april_4_short

april_4_short

You've mentioned "dark patterns" somewhere before.

The Starter Packs are another funnel through which to feed the pattern mill.

Once you look at them from this perspective, the design decisions make some sense.

As does the Unity Learn site's design, structure and flow.

39. awesomedata

awesomedata

I can agree with that to an extent -- but we're talking about complete beginners here. In my experience, both as an expert _and_ as a beginner, showing them the cooler possibilities first, then letting them modify/remove/disable those possibilities (and then later modify and even one day make their own even cooler ones independently) is a better -- and more productive -- course of action (for the intended audience).

As a pattern, unless it is HUGE set of options (I'm talking > 3 options that affect the fundamental behavior of the entire system and/or most child patterns and systems -- i.e. a 2D character controller with many options that can become a 3D character controller that can become an FPS character controller that can become an RTS character controller that can become a physics-based 3D/2D character controller, etc.), these sorts of options are otherwise quite easily manageable. We are strictly dealing 100% with a 3D platformer controller here that is _maybe_ doubled as an FPS controller or 2D option -- all of which require similar options (no point and click styled behavior, no multiplayer components, no physics-based procedural movement, etc.) Removing options is a viable way to approach this sort of system (and the addition/removal portion could be repurposed for other options/tools/behaviors).

Just food for thought.

Also, Unity Learn is actually not too bad for its intended purpose. Although it can be clunky and a bit indirect sometimes (when you're trying to use it as a reference later on or return to a video you've either seen or know about already), outside of that -- I kind of like the basic idea of its approach. :)

---

Never said I was disappointed with your efforts -- only with the (apparently viral) mindset behind them at Unity.

You sound like a pretty good guy.

Just reconsider some of your assumptions is all I'm asking. That's all.

In the end, I hope you take this all as general feedback -- not as a personal critique. I'm genuinely only trying to help.

Thank you for your efforts in this.
    And for being cool enough to try to improve things. :)

40. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

That's unusual, I can only guess at what's broken without seeing the project. I guess the first thing to check is if the stairs in the playground scene work for you?

My second guess would be to check what the Ground Layers on the Third Person Controller script are set to, and then to make sure that your slope is on one of those layers? That wouldn't really explain why it's constantly being set to true and false though..

Let me know if this helps at all. If not I'll see if I can recreate the issue on my end.

41. darashayda

darashayda

Hello

Just downloaded the 3rd Person package and added it to a new asset store landscape and built it for Android all worked great on 2020.315f2.

We are a pro customer, upgrading to Enterprise shortly.

1. I like to resleeve the robot with Unity-chan Anime girl. The documentation there is scant and in Japanese. But I do not see much complications.

Is there someone at Unity side who could lend a hand?

2. I like to write a program to move the avatar as a predator to chase and fight the Anime girl, but need a sample code from some other Unity project. Possible if some Unity person could send me such code/project please?

Thanx.

Dara

42. l3m35

l3m35

As a newbie, I say it would be useful a tutorial or so about how to add new controls to the Player (example: I'm trying to implement a new button for interactions with colliders).

Edit: there is an excellent one here with lots of implementations using the Starter Assets

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    bronsonzgeb likes this.
  43. Unorthodocs

Unorthodocs

This is pretty cool stuff. I've been toying around with Unity a decent bit and looking through the documentation trying to learn what I can. Although I noticed the Player Input is set to send messages, but I don't see anything in relation to gameobject.sendmessage.

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or maybe this is done in such a way that sendmessage isn't explicitly used. I am curious as to how it's using sendmessage the way it was designed, I would like to look and understand this a bit more before trying to convert it over to an event based system.

If anyone can help me understand how it's invoking send messages or can point me to some documentation that I can check out to learn how this works the way it's designed I would really appreciate it.

44. GCodergr

GCodergr

I really like the new controllers, especially the third person one.

Is there a guide or resources to use it with MLAPI , for a multiplayer game?

Thanks in advance.

45. bitinn

bitinn

Some feedback after using the new Starter Asset for an internal prototype:

- I wonder why the team opted to use a StarterAssetsInput + Polling changes from ThirdPersonController, instead of using Invoke Unity Events from Player Input.

- Because of above decision, the scripts are tightly coupled; in order to customize them properly, we end up changing the whole structure on how character is controlled.

- One more gripe is how these scripts interact with Cinemachine: they work, but only when virtual camera are setup exactly as the sample scenes. Supporting multiple virtual cameras, again require a completely different handling.

I knew Unity content team often had to release within a short timespan and little manpower, so I am not going to argue for a 5-Star Asset Store release.

All in all, I am glad to finally see a refreshed starter asset! but this feels more like a proof of concept, than a solid starting point for users to learn best practice.

DYV and awesomedata like this.
  46. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

The documentation for that feature is here under "SendMessage/BroadcastMessage Actions". But the short answer is: it sends a message to the Game Object that has the PlayerInput component attached. The name of the message is "On[ActionName]" so for example "OnFire" or "OnJump". If you'd like to see where it's explicitly called you can open then PlayerInput.cs script.

47. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

There are no official resources yet, but multiplayer support is a common request so we hope to work on that.

I know Mirror isn't MLAPI, but I found this guide on adding Mirror support to the third person starter asset. Maybe it'll help? I've never used MLAPI so I'm not sure how different their architectures are. Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful :(.

GCodergr likes this.
  48. bronsonzgeb

bronsonzgeb

Unity Technologies

We appreciate the feedback! Knowing your pain points helps us very much.

49. Aymi1

Aymi1

I have the third person character controller in a project, and it worked fine initially. Now however I am getting three compiler errors.

Two reference as "'CharacterController' does not contain a definition for 'velocity' and no accessible extension method 'velocity' accepting a first argument of type 'characterController' could be found"

The other one is the same error, but for the variable 'Move' instead of 'velocity'

I am not sure what has happened, I have tried completely removing the character controller and re-importing it, and I immediately receive the errors again (the errors disappear when the controller is not in the project).

Fairly new at Unity, any help would be greatly appreciated!

50. SpaceDragonMap

SpaceDragonMap

Hi, new to Unity and Starter Asset Package, we are using the First Person Controller to test the game in Game mode.
    We can use WSAD to move around but when turning the (rotate Left or Right), the only way to do it is to use mouse.

Is there anyway, we can setup other Keys to do rotate Left/Right so the player can turn and see 360 degree then move using WSAD?

Thanks,

SpaceDragonMap Team