Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Say hello to the new Starter Asset packages

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnityHas, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Mikhail94

Mikhail94

I have the same problem: https://forum.unity.com/threads/say...er-asset-packages.1123051/page-9#post-8712252

Unfortunately, despite the fact that this is an official asset from Unity, they do not care about the bugs and de facto abandoned these assets. I made a bug report on this issue (thanks to the support person who helped me with this) but it still hasn't been fixed.

Right now I can recommend solutions like this:

1. Buy a third party asset that fixed this issue.
    2. Fix it by yourself. I tried, but I realized that it's easier for me to create my own controller from scratch, initially adapted to my needs. Perhaps because in my case a more specialized solution is required, and not just movement in two planes. YouTube is full of videos on how to create a character controller, just find the one that suits your project.
    3. Switch to Unreal Engine where basic assets like this work as expected and they are ready to be used in real projects. Unfortunately UE Editor is not the fastest thing - Unity is still faster and more convenient for prototyping, despite all its flaws.

Personal note. Since Unity lays off hundreds of employees it is unlikely that standard assets will receive fixes or improvements (because they are not a priority). So I don't recommend counting on them. Rely only on yourself or on third parties.

Reverse_Gate and Kreshi like this.
  2. DYV

DYV

Hi there!
    I often get the error: "Assertion failed on expression: 'CompareApproximately(SqrMagnitude(result), 1.0F)'
    UnityEngine.Quaternion:Internal_FromEulerRad (UnityEngine.Vector3)" . It happens when I pause my game.
    It is called by this line
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // rotate to face input direction relative to camera position
    2.                 transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0.0f, rotation, 0.0f);
    in ThirdPersonController script.
    Can anyone suggest what could be the cause? I would be very grateful :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  3. Kreshi

Kreshi

check the value of "rotation" - maybe it's NAN.

4. DYV

DYV

Thank you for the answer, looks like you were right. I added if(!System.Single.IsNaN(rotation)) and there is no error so far

Kreshi likes this.
  5. TKDHayk

TKDHayk

Ok so I'm making a game with Unity 2021.3, using the Standard Rendering pipeline. Why Can't I use this character? Why doesn't it support the Standard rendering pipeline? I know I can tweak the materials and make it work but why isn't Standard rendering pipeline not supported out of the box by this package for 2021.3? Seems like a... standard requirement. Please explain. I'm making a PC game - I'm not gonna use the URP because it looks bad. Im not gonna use the HDRP because it performs poorly. I need Standard rendering pipeline.

6. TKDHayk

TKDHayk

BTW, The asset store page says that this works for Built in pipeline with unity 2020.3.0, but it doesn't.

upload_2023-6-27_4-45-21.png

7. Tay5

Tay5

Can someone share the genesis shader from olander?

8. Zeromuse

Zeromuse

I am having an issue where I drag the prefab into my scene that only contains terrain as an object and the program crashes. Everytime. The asset is pink. I just started this journey and I don't know what to do. I have installed unity multiple times and re-downloaded the asset and still the same result.

9. Kreshi

Kreshi

if everything is pink it means your materials don't match with the render pipeline you are using. if you are using the build-in render pipeline just select all materials and change them to the standard shader.
    alternatively you could create a new URP project instead.

10. pagan_poetry

pagan_poetry

Why does this asset is not compatible with HDRP in Unity 2021.3? But compatible with 2020.3? I thought that this asset is about player controller scripts not any graphics, how it could be not compatible?

I like this asset but now I have HDRP project, would it break something in my project if I import it?

11. renebossen99

renebossen99

I've just downloaded the Unity FP starter package today, and after a little while, I'm starting to experience lagging camera, when I'm playing. I can't seem to find a fix for this.

I have tried playing in full screen
    Minimize the transform in the editor
    Changed input settings to Dynamic update

Is there anything else I can try?
    I'm using Unity 2021.3.21f1, input system V 1.5.0 from Jan 25, 2023, Cinemachine 2.8.9, Aug 31, 2022

12. JimTheHermit

JimTheHermit

I'm trying to make a full body FPS character controller by combining the 1st and 3rd controllers together. I need a way to stop the camera from lerping (or slerping?) away from the body or at least make the distances shorter when the player jumps or moves fast.

13. ReinzKing

ReinzKing

Please help me! I tried the 3rd person controller from Unity starter assest but everything turned blue like this!

Attached Files:

14. Miicro

Miicro

Hi, so I have imported this asset into my project. (I am currently using Unity 2021.3.9f1) I am currently having this shader problem

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.shadergraph@12.1.7\Editor\Generation\Targets\BuiltIn\Editor\ShaderGUI\MaterialAssemblyReference\RawRenderQueue.cs(12,24): error CS1061: 'Material' does not contain a definition for 'rawRenderQueue' and no accessible extension method 'rawRenderQueue' accepting a first argument of type 'Material' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?). I am new to unity so I have no idea how to fix this problem but any method would be appreciated...

15. Magendanz

Magendanz

With the latest Starter Assets: Character Controllers | URP package release on 10/27/2023, has anyone been able to get the on-screen controls to work? In past releases, I've just enabled the UI_TouchScreenInput object in the sample scene and it started working, but now there's nothing. (I'm running 2022.3.14.f1.)

UPDATE: The problem is a bad reference to the Unity Default Runtime Theme in TouchScreenInputDefaultStyle. Fix that and everything seems to work again.

Here's the warning that I receive on import:
    Packages/com.unity.starter-assets/Runtime/Mobile/UI/TouchScreenInputDefaultStyle.tss (line 5): warning: Invalid asset path: 'Assets/UnityDefaultRuntimeTheme.tss'
    (Filename: Packages/com.unity.starter-assets/Runtime/Mobile/UI/TouchScreenInputDefaultStyle.tss Line: 5)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    yty and sorab2142 like this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey,
    Thank you for pointing that out, We will make a ticket to get this resolved. Thank you for sharing the solution to others here in the meantime.

Kind Regards!

17. darashayda

darashayda

18. altepTest

altepTest

did you manage to make this package work with cinemachine WITHOUT switching to fixed update?

19. GIS_Vejle

GIS_Vejle

I hope I can get an answer here.

I've tried to import the new starter asset pack
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/starter-assets-character-controllers-urp-267961

When I import the package it comes in with the first person controller sample and no third person sample.

I tried going to the Package Manager (Packages: Unity Registry), select the Start Assets and download the samples. This imports the ThirdPerson Controller sample, but deletes the first person version??? (as well as some of the prefabs used in the sample project)

I tried to reimport the asset and it shows the missing elements again. But when I try to import it, nothing happens?

Have anyone else seen this issue?

upload_2023-12-5_16-6-26.png

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello @darashayda

I'm not available to discuss with for One on One technical issues, but could you explain in broad strokes what the issues may be?

For transparency:
    • We are considering deprecation of the individual Starter Asset character controllers in favour of the unified one. We are still testing to see if a local package makes sense as a distribution method.
    • The content is under the Unity Companion License and is free to include in your repo and asset store package as you wish.
    • We also plan to update to Cinemachine 3.0 soon
    Kind Regards,
    Unity Chan

Mark_01 likes this.
  21. crawfis

crawfis

Slight bug in the Editor Script ThirdPersonStarterAssetsDeployMenu.cs file. If you switch from Armature to Capsule and then back. The Capsule and Armature are both visible and you can only ever control the Capsule (it is the first controller returned). I think I found a fix. New file is enclosed. Since things are static, keeping track of the current Player is a little problematic in the Editor, so I added a new Menu item to set it to null. Not sure if there was an open source Repo for this.

Attached Files:

22. crawfis

crawfis

Another BUG is that there are Scripts and ASM files in the Test folder that are blank and have bad namespaces, etc.

23. FelipeAngioni

FelipeAngioni

HI, IM USING THE ASSET ON THE URP 2022.3.0.f1, MY MAIN CHARACTER IS A DOG, SO THE CHARACTER COLLIDER ITS NOT ENOUGH FOR ME, I NEED TO ADD ONE MORE COLLIDER, BUT DOSENT WORK, TRYED A LOT OF THINGS, BUT FOR THE CHARACTER, ONLY THE CHARACTER COLLIDER WORKS, CAN YOU HELP ME?

24. Kreshi

Kreshi

That's how the CharacterController component is supposed to work. If you are writing a dog character controller either check out

- Animal Controller:
    https://prf.hn/click/camref:1101loZ...ages/tools/animation/animal-controller-148877

- or write a RigidBody-based custom character controller script :).

FelipeAngioni likes this.
  25. FelipeAngioni

FelipeAngioni

26. Me_Shah

Me_Shah

Hi,
    I am trying to use Unity's "Starter Assets: Character Controllers | URP" but I am unable to use touch controls. Even no touch controls appear on screen, neither in editor nor in android build. I got same warning message that you mentioned in the reply and I assigned files in reference but still it is not working. It accepts file in one field but not in other. Kindly if you provide details about which files should be assigned in given fields?
    Thanks
    @Magendanz @yty @sorab2142

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024