Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

saving projects

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by michele2000bon, Dec 8, 2019.

1. michele2000bon

michele2000bon

if i disinstall my unity in one pc and i reinstall unity in other pc ,my game and project are saved?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

They are you if you take them with you. The project folder is completely separate from the Unity application folder.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. michele2000bon

michele2000bon

how take them with you?

4. michele2000bon

michele2000bon

where is the asset folder of my project?

5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I don't know. It's wherever you chose when you created the project. Probably in your Documents folder, but that's only a wild guess.

If you've forgotten, then try searching for the name of some file in your project. Or, if you can still open the project in Unity, do so, right-click on the Assets folder in the Project tab, and choose "Reveal in Finder" or "Reveal in File Explorer" (or something similar if you are on Linux).

Ryiah and Bill_Martini like this.
  6. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

I see no reason for de-installing Unity unless it is no longer desired on that device. All Unity files related to a specific project are stored within a folder with the name of that project. Unity projects are stored in a user selected location. Mine is the Desktop, but you can choose any existing folder as a repository for your projects (obviously you need read/write access).

If you move a project to another device or folder make sure you copy the entire project folder as is and you must add the project to the hub for it to show up on the list.

This is pretty much like any other application that creates it's own documents. Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop do not store their documents in the application, the user selects where it goes and what it's called. The only difference in Unity is you choose the name and location prior to actually creating any files.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Alternatively you can open Unity Hub, click the three dots all the way to the right, and click Show in Explorer.

upload_2019-12-9_4-14-9.png

USB flash drive is the simplest method. If you don't know how to use one here's a basic tutorial.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    michele2000bon and JoeStrout like this.
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You can also open your project, go to any of the assets, and right click and select Open in Explorer or whatever it says for your operating system. This will bring you to that file in your file manager, so you'll know where your files are.

If you're going to be successful at development though, you must get much more familiarity with file systems and be paying far more attention to where you're saving things. You should be backing up your projects regularly or using version control, but its obvious you're not doing that if you don't even have an idea where they are. Often that means you'll end up losing the project or breaking it in some way you have difficulty recovering from in the long run.

michele2000bon likes this.