Search Unity

Saving project shortcut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Justei, May 14, 2013.

1. Justei

Justei

I was wondering what the reasoning behind not having a "Save Project" shortcut?

Being someone that just lost a ton of progress because of a random unity crash, and the sole reason being forgetting that Ctrl + S only saves the scene, and nothing else. This is extremely frustrating.

My suggestions being:
    Add a save project shortcut.
    Save project + Scene when you press Ctrl + S.
    Give the option to set a Save Project shortcut.

This has been a problem for me a couple of times, since I will work for hours upon end, saving once in a while, if it crashes, I'm screwed.

Am I the only one that has this problem?

2. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I was thinking you could create an editor script for that but I'm not seeing any option to save the project that way. So far I've looked in the Editor and EditorUtility classes.

3. Justei

Justei

If that would be possible, that would make my life a lot easier. Thanks a ton for taking a look for me :).

4. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Pretty certain you're wrong here. In my experience, saving the scene also saves the project.

5. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

What's to save in the project? Any hierarchal rearrangement done in the editor is automagically saved. Any changed material is saved. Any changed properties of a prefab or asset are.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Saving a scene does in fact also save some non-scene-related things like tags and so on, so indeed there doesn't seem to be much purpose to the Save Project menu item.

--Eric

dogzerx2 likes this.
  7. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

There is definitely something that gets saved when you do a project save rather than scene save, as I've experienced the exact same thing, and yes I agree its annoying. Maybe someone in the know can confirm what actually gets saved during a project save.

The project is definitely more than just a hierarchy of files. Also, if the project was simply a hierarchy why would there even be a project save option.

Lashes and ocimum like this.
  8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I've always assumed it saves build settings and perhaps other stuff like quality settings and such.

Some clarity would indeed be nice.

9. sama-van

sama-van

Agree, never understood the use of Save Project..
    Always made it with the usual Save Scene.
    Got some Unity's crashes but never lost my stuff...

Also nothing about it in the Scripting doc o_O...

10. Justei

Justei

Well, it could have just been my project, but when it crashed I lost a bunch of settings in my prefabs I have made during that "session" also tags I had created, among other things, nothing that can't be fixed.

But it can still be a problem in some cases, another thing that it did for some reason is mess my atlases up beyond reparation but that was most likely because the scene wasn't saved or something. So I can't blame that on the project save.

It's hard to actually tell what it saves, hopefully someone could clear that up for us :). Or they could just introduce a shortcut, to let the people that want to use it, use it, and the ones that don't wouldn't need to.

Maybe you only work in the Scene? I know for a fact that it saves more than that, I just don't know exactly what, and how much of it is needed to actually be able to give this effect.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  11. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I've actually found that I use Save Project rather frequently - especially when dealing with the asset server. Sometimes if I just save the scene, it will act like it changed on UAS even though I haven't touched it. This usually happens when modifying a prefab in the Project view which happens to have an instance in the open scene.

I also often use Save Project when I'm modifying things in the Project view and have a blank scene open (which I don't want to save).

Ultimately, I wish everything did auto-save so that this menu item would be useless, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

12. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Right, prefabs don't seem to save unless you either save the scene or save the project, but I'm 99.99% certain that saving the scene also saves the project. The only problem is that you don't always have a scene open that you actually want to save... as I mentioned in my last post.

Regardless, I agree that as long as "Save Project" serves a purpose, it should have a shortcut.

ocimum likes this.
  13. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Agree that "Save Project" really needs a shortcut. Ideally I think it should just auto-save the project any time you build or run or save the scene, like it does when building or running code in any IDE. But maybe I'm too used to being a developer.

As for what it saves and what it doesn't, I've lost prefab changes that I made in the "Project Hierarchy" on prefabs that weren't in the scene. So I'm pretty sure Save Scene mostly saves changes on things that are actually in the scene.

Also, I was watching some of the Unity Stealth tutorials (which are very recent) and the guy is constantly saying "Save your scene, then save your project" after every change they make, so it sounds like that's standard practice.

14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

If you are on a Mac, just add the shortcut in your keyboard preferences. I set up a bunch of them for things like render settings, input, tags, etc.

15. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Can this be addressed yet? This is a nightmare for people who have asset-oriented designs or make heavy use of scriptable objects. Not to mention animations. A random crash could be hours gone. Unity never saves these things until you exit the editor. How is this not a huge problem?

16. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

I agree, but before that, I would much much rather like to see the removal of Ctrl+B,
    which has cause me a lot more frustration!

17. oandreyeva

oandreyeva

I would like to see an option for this as well. I have to constantly remember to save the project when editing prefabs, timelines, animations, etc. Just lost all the work from this morning. Don't understand why Unity won't let you assign any keyboard shortcut to any menu item you want like Photoshop does...

18. AcademyOfFetishes

AcademyOfFetishes

I want a shortcut too. In fact, I've never run into a situation where I wanted to save the scene but NOT the project. Can't we just have a generic "Save" that saves everything? That's what I always want.

19. JuanJSAR

JuanJSAR

It seems a little incredible to me that no one there echoed or commented on a solution in 6 years.
    Here the free asset: http://u3d.as/1z8N
    I hope it serves them well.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Lashes and AcademyOfFetishes like this.
  20. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

Yea can't believe they haven't added this shortcut. A number of things in Unity don't get saved by "save scene". Changes to any timelines for example. You've got to "save project" to have those changes reflected in the file on disk.

Thanks for the handy script there, @JuanJSAR

JuanJSAR likes this.
  21. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Unity just needs to implement this period.

22. Lashes

Lashes

I'm aching for this shortcut. I'm not on a mac, and have futilely attempted to create a shortcut for "Save Project," with the shortcut showing empty but strangely able to be reverted to default. What a tease. My project includes assets that are only saved, even to Plastic, when the project is saved manually. I really do hope Unity does something about this. 'Til then, it's point and click as often as I can remember to do so.

Thanks for sending the asset @JuanJSAR - do you know if you can also use this to only save project? It sounds weird, but I need to save project without saving the scene quite often. Let me know if you know. Thanks!

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

You can define a shortcut for the File/Save Project menu with the shortcuts manager (Edit -> Shortcuts).

upload_2020-12-27_10-34-56.png