Search Unity

Saving .dds Aniso Level, Filter Mode and Wrap Mode

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ultimatemau, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Ultimatemau

Ultimatemau

I'm having a problem with changing my wrap mode and filter mode on .dds (dxt1) compressed images. I Use dds all the time since we work with quest and udk. In the Unity Editor i need to save my settings for the wrap/filter modes but as soon as i save the scene or project it changes bak to bilinear filtering and wrap mode Repeat.

Can anyone help me out with this problem?

Cheers

ps: Please don't tell me to use .tga

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. Ultimatemau

Ultimatemau

shameless bump

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Use .tga!

(couldn't resist :p )

4. Ultimatemau

Ultimatemau

That's just wrong.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Well, I personally can't help you, I don't use .dds. But unless there is some technical explanation I am not aware of, this sounds like a bug. You could share a .dds file here (because I am to lazy to find one on my own, or make one :p ) to see if it happens to other people as well and you could also file a bug report.

6. afalk

afalk

You could verify that the DDS isn't the problem by bringing it into Photoshop and re-saving it as a DDS file. You might also want to try one of the other modes w/in Unity to see if its an issue w/just DDS.

7. Ultimatemau

Ultimatemau

I did the resave lots of times with and without mipmapping on export. All textures are power of two 2^x so that's also not the problem. I can see that .dds isn't officially supported: http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/class-Texture2D.html. Check under: Details >
    Supported Formats.

PSD, TIFF, JPG, TGA, PNG, GIF, BMP, IFF, PICT.

Maybe it's no bug because Unity can take dds, but the properties are only supported on the pointed out supported file formats.

I'll report it as a bug then.

Cheers

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

9. Ultimatemau

Ultimatemau

Thanks for the info AcidArrow. My external version control is off so that shouldn't be it. I think it's just not supported yet.

Everyone thanks for helping out!

Cheers

10. remy_malin

remy_malin

Hi everyone.
    Just a little UP : I think .dds files are not supported yet because I have the same problem

11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

(phew this is an old thread)

Loading external PVR textures has the same problem btw. Although since Unity keeps updating the pvr compression, the need to compress externally and load them precompressed has significantly lessened.

If proper .dds support is important to you, I suggest filing a bug report and starting a request in the feedback. (make sure to post the link here, I can spare a few votes and I did have that one time where I needed custom mip-maps)

12. remy_malin

remy_malin

Hello, thank you AcidArrow.
    Sorry for UP an old thread, but a new Unity user have new old questions... :)
    I don't want to add job for Unity people, so I'll not make a bug report about that.
    I'm just suprise that there is no more questions about this subject, especially for people who want to use - in Unity - 3D assets made for others engines. And for people who want to bring an application or a project from other software to Unity.
    I will batch my texture format convertion from .dds to .png

Thanks

13. ICE-jdeacutis

ICE-jdeacutis

You may need to edit the .meta file of the .dds texture to change settings. Anisotropic filtering was defaulting to disabled and I needed to manually enable it:

Code (CSharp):
    1. textureSettings:
    2.     serializedVersion: 2
    3.     filterMode: 1
    4.     aniso: 16
    5.     mipBias: 0
    6.     wrapU: 0
    7.     wrapV: 0
    8.     wrapW: 0