Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Saving a scene cause Application.ExecuteMenuItem to take about 6 minutes to complete

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by YuriyPopov, Dec 10, 2020.

1. LazyEti

LazyEti

This workaround worked for me!!
    Still annoying, but at least, you're not goin to loose all of your work.

this is absolutely stupid that a bug so critical and that happen so often would be ignored like this by Unity...
    In the last 3 months Unity probably froze like 200+ times on me

Also, some notes:
    Never had this problem before updating from Unity 2019 to 2020.3
    I noticed it's freezing more often when Github desktop is opened.
    Happens pretty much 100% of the time when I'm trying to save before scripts finish compiling

2. Biscuitlid

Biscuitlid

Armend's fix works for me. Though yeah this has only been happening to me since installing Odin to my project, so it's probably that as the root cause for me.

RARgames likes this.
  3. eliasjgnilsson

eliasjgnilsson

Still same issue, UNITY????

4. Stardog

Stardog

Can some of you test this?
    • Play, stop.
    • Select any object and expand or collapse a component.
    • Save.
    If not, try this:
    • Play with a Volume Profile selected.
    • Stop playing.
    • Collapse/expand any effect, like Motion Blur/Tonemapping/Exposure. Then ctrl-s.
    This was HDRP 10.5.0, Unity 2020.3.12f1.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  5. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

Just tried both of those and nothing unusual happened. This was on Unity 2020.3.22f1 with URP. Admittedly I haven't been seeing the slow save bug as much since I upgraded to 2020.3.22 with a few other changes: upgraded the VS integration package, installed Burst & Unity Jobs, upgraded Unity Hub to latest.

However I have been getting severe issues with crashing in place of that, tends to happen when one of these slowdown popups happen and can occur when saving a scene which is frustrating. Also seemed to happen on compiling or when exiting playmode. I have a thread about it here. But I've got 0 leads on the cause and still have no clue why these save slowdown popups were happening at all. Now nothing has gone wrong for over a week and it's really odd because nothing has really changed in my project, but I have no doubt that the problem is still there and I'll likely get more issues like this soon.

EDIT: The crashing problem is still there. Have not had a regular save scene slowdown that didn't end in crashing though.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  6. jtiret

jtiret

Hello there,

I still have the same problem even after upgrading to 2020.3.25.
    Following @Armend's advice, I have written a command that unlocks Unity Editor when freezing upon save.

The following is working on my Mac:

kill -9 $(ps aux | grep Unity | grep batch | awk '{print $2}')

7. tansir

tansir

Same as you, it was extremely slow to open or save project with 2020.3.14f1, it took me over 10min, it was very painful!
    So I try the new version of 2020 branch - 2020.3.32f1, it works very well so far! Maybe you can try.

8. LazyEti

LazyEti

Ok so I used to have the freeze problem for a while (unity 2020.3.16).
    It would crash countless times everyday when saving scripts or just randomly in editor.

BUT removing Odin from the project seams to have completely fixed the problem for me!

9. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

Can also confirm that updating to 2020.3.26f1 eliminated all of my crashing issues and slowdowns are much more rare or only occur in spots where it's expected (playing a scene for the first time, importing an asset, etc.) I have not really encountered any noticeable saving scene slowdowns either so it seems these issues have been ironed out in the newer LTS versions.

10. CaseyGamingKing

CaseyGamingKing

in 2020.3.15f2 it takes me3 about 20 min to save and i dont have a bad pc i have a ryzen 9 5900x and 3070
    and it also takes about 10-15 min to spawn reflection probes anyway i can fix this im pretty new to unity

11. Jave_Lin

Jave_Lin

Same issue in unity version : 2020.3.37f1
    When i saving the scene
    upload_2023-1-7_14-48-3.png

12. pl0splus

pl0splus

I can't believe unity still has not fixed this, I've had this issue in my project for months and it only gets worse and worse. So far my high score is about 45 mins. I swear I'm actually gonna abandon unity for good, its just not worth losing hours of development time to a single bug outside of my control.

13. pramod_phib2022

pramod_phib2022

getting same issue, frequently, its frustating