Search Unity

Saved Project > Put PC To Sleep > Woke PC > Unity RE-Imports all assets > Scenes Destroyed!!!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CloudyVR, Mar 25, 2018.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I was just doing my normal pattern of: work all night, morning comes around, so put PC to sleep and go bed.

But I woke up earlier, then woke my PC and it froze (as Windows commonly does).

When I restarted my pc then re-opened unity it re-imported all assets. Then the scene I was working on was completely empty, just like all gameobjects were deleted.... the lightmaps are still present but everything is just gone..

worst part, I have a friend coming over to see what I got done..

I will NEVER use SLEEP MODE + UNITY AGAIN....

2. EdKirby

EdKirby

Oh man. I put my PC to sleep all the time, never had this issue. Scary. What version Windows and Unity?

3. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Win8.1 x64, Unity 2017.3.0f3

4. EdKirby

EdKirby

I vaguely remember having issues with sleep mode on 8.1. I'm on Win 10 x 64 now with a new machine I built last Summer so no issues. Not related, but, I did have to downgrade my project back to 2017.2 because of a bug in 2017.3 that was affecting my game.

Are you using source code control?

As to your problem, I don't know enough about Unity under the covers to say what could happened and what triggered the (re)importing of assets. I mean, does Unity go off of some manifest and did that manifest get corrupted from Windows while entering or waking up from sleep mode? I did a quick search and there a number of old references to various Unity/Win 8.1 issues. Nothing about this specifically. But some editor related stuff.

Obviously the prudent course of action, like you said, is no more sleep mode with Unity on 8.1. If possible I would get off Win 8.1 as soon as you are able. Maybe someone else will chime in, but I've had good luck with Win 10.

CloudyVR likes this.
  5. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I do have my own internal form of version control which has saved me a couple times, and while this was an alarming experience, the scene I was working on was only a simple scene I was packing into an AssetBundle. And I was able to redo the entire thing in only two hours on my second go round. So not too bad..

6. EdKirby

EdKirby

That's good! If you had to spend an entire night redoing it that would have sucked.

Whenever I move forward in versions of Unity I make a complete copy of the project and store it on another drive. For day to day, I use BitBucket/git and Source Tree. Works like a charm.

Glad you're all set.

7. dohaiha930

dohaiha930

Git is our savior, you must look up Git or SVN, sometimes things go wrong, you can easy comeback and fix it!
    Hope you can save your data back.