Search Unity

Save the Farley Mowat!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by AaronC, Apr 11, 2009.

1. AaronC

AaronC

Animal rights activists are the new world terrorists, apparently, so if thats the case, we'd best learn to shoot straight.

Fact: The Canadian government impounded the Sea Shepherd Vessel "Farley Mowat" for observing the Seal "Hunt" and intend selling it.

Fiction: You've got to get it back!

Please copy and distribute freely, however, all and any profits from sale of this game must be made to the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

The Game can be downloaded from

http://deepwater3d.com/DW3D/html_css/Game_Logic_02.html

Have fun!

AaronC

2. snicholls

snicholls

:eek: Wrong place?

3. nickavv

nickavv

Looks cool, downloading. ;)

EDIT: Oh man, awesome. I love the canadian skin for the robots. But also, man that's hard! Who knew that canada was so well prepared for an armed animal rights activist uprising? I died a few times.

4. Sakar

Sakar

I'd love to try it, but I can't unzip the Windows version because of all the File files in there.

5. nickavv

nickavv

Took a short break and then I tried again. This time I beat those Canadian robots and saved the ship! Hooray for baby seals!

6. AaronC

AaronC

Hi Sakar, The windows build is a little confusing because it has a data folder next to the exe Icon. If you still have it, can you see if the .exe file is there and click that?

Please let me know- this windows -building is a new excercise...

@Moldorma- Thanks man :)

AaronC

7. bradjensen68

bradjensen68

Awesome! Glad to see that you got it working.

Some hopefully helpful criticism (only intended to be helpful anyway)

Tough game (maybe too tough?)

Some bugs - you start out the game with a rocket launcher. If you do not click to start the game, but just start moving, the mouselook doesn't work but you still have the rocket launcher.

If you get close enough to the chainlink fence, you can shoot through it.

Could it be that the gun shoots just to the right of the reticule? I also had a lot of trouble with the mouse sensitivity. It seemed that it jerked a lot and it was hard to "snipe" anything. Sometimes it seemed like I was shooting right at something and it wasn't registering the hit, particularly with the stationary guns.

The ending credits where not framed in my screen. The top part was cut off.

Maybe add some cute seal pictures or even a seal that you have to save?

8. AaronC

AaronC

Thanks Brad. Cheers for the feedback. Even watching my flatmate play was almost a totally different experience.

The mouse sensitivity is an interesting issue, was the first thing my flatmate asked about. I guess Im just used to it. The rocket Launcher anomoly is a line of code I should insert..

the ending credits cutoff is a new bug. Are you playing on a widescreen monitor/laptop buy any chance?

The cute seal pictures thing is intersting- origionally I wanted to use existing protest pictures as posters on the walls in the game, but then after some thought it was going to be a copyright can-o-worms. What if I unwittingly used IFAW posters, and at the same time am promoting Sea Shepherd? It becomes a clear case of copyright misuse. Stealling one organisations media to raise money for another? YIKES! So in the end I settled for ditching the whole other peoples posters thing and tagging a few walls myself.

As its a freebie I dont think I'll update this at all, but next time around I'll definately look for these bugs. Thank you!

AaronC

9. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Who doesn't these days? :p

Neat game. But you need to spend a little more time with the quality of the game. Right now it seems like it could be so much better in terms of gameplay and graphics. I certainly hope you do so, because who doesn't want to love a game about saving baby seals? :D

10. AaronC

AaronC

:) Ahh yes, Graphics were culled to the extreme in terms of resolution, and could easily go higher res, but its a fairly small app which is good. Actually the uncompressed audio took a good chunk of app space. And Gameplay? Well Im an artist, I like shiny...lol

This particular baby blew its time budget something wicked already, but it does run from start to finish without errors. I guess that means my next game will be better. One thing I learned in this business is that theres always another vert to move, another model to make another script to write...I also heard its not uncommon to make a bunch of crap games before a good one comes out, so we'll get there in the end.

I've really got to get beyond these robots though...

Glad you enjoyed it. Anyone successfully downloaded the windows version?

Cheers
    AC

11. Sakar

Sakar

Just tried to run the exe from the zip file and it won't run. Wish I could help you get it zipped for Windows properly, but I've only used a Mac once at the Apple store :)

12. AaronC

AaronC

Ok Thanks. Argh
    AC

13. AaronC

AaronC

Thanks so Much Sakar, it was a broken file for some reason

Should be all fixed now.

Cheers
    AaronC

14. Tempest

Tempest

Played it, beat it. Was great for an indie FPS level.

I did notice that the rockets had a certain range. I had to close the distance between myself and the targets in the long street area before they would register as hits.

The only thing that really puzzled me was the particle engine (I'm assuming) that does the explosions for the rockets. The particles are rendered on top of everything else, like the terrain.

What I mean is, I was at a door way, and fired a rocket, then I moved back so I had a wall between me and the rocket. When the rocket exploded though, it rendered the explosion in front of me, between me and the wall, as if it was a GUI element or something.

The last thing is that you can fire the rocket launcher during the opening sequence before you enter FPS mode. If you click during the opening camera sequence, you'll launch rockets. :)

But again, I liked it a lot and played it through twice, second time refusing to use the rifle and just blow everything up. It was challenging and I wish you the best for the next project.

15. Sakar

Sakar

Very nice game! Only suggestion I have is to hide the cursor while playing and show it once you hit the escape key.