Search Unity

Feature Request Save changes check box (while playing) for Editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mfatihbarut, Jan 17, 2023.

1. mfatihbarut

mfatihbarut

Hi,
    We really need a check box "Save changes" in editor.
    Sometimes playing -> seeing -> stopping -> coming back -> changing in editor mode -> playing cycle is very tiring.

2. halley

halley

It's an often-requested feature, and you've been on the forums enough to know this, I expect. I think the core Unity product team feels that goes against the clean separation of Play vs Edit. It also has big complications when the changes you want to save belong to prefabs, since prefabs don't really have the same backing during Play mode. There are third-party solutions to this, though. InspectorGadgets, Play Mode Save, and others.

Cinemachine includes an attribute for special cases: [SaveDuringPlay] can make your classes automatically keep their updates. This seems like an easy thing to forget when you DON'T want it to behave that way, in my opinion.

3. spiney199

spiney199

This seems to be the case and I agree with it honestly. Scenes are temporary constructs. The scene you edit is not the same scene you play in.

If you're editing values constantly I suggest shifting those values onto scriptable objects.