Search Unity

Save array of spawned object created from Custom Editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CoughE, Aug 8, 2016.

1. CoughE

CoughE

Hello there,

I have a custom editor script that spawns a 3d array of tiles and stores them. My game world will be static, i.e. the tiles will never change, as I want to run Occlusion culling on them. I have this running fine.

The problem lies in Unity discarding the array that points to all of the tiles in the game world. I need this connection to perform distance test between tiles, something that is not possible when there are 100k+ tiles. The tiles exist in the game world still. The array is just storing plain gameObjects such as GameObject[,,] (x y and z coordinates.).

I've done some research on here and google, but can't find anything similar or applicable.

The classes and array are set to serialize.I tried using a SerializableObject to store the array, but realized this cannot reference the scene. Does anyone know where the problem lies?

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Do you have it set to serializable?

3. CoughE

CoughE

Yes

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Sorry just noticed, you are using a multidimensional array, which won't serilalize. Try splitting it into two arrays, or an array of serializable classes, or using the iserializable interface to store it and reassemble.