Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[-50% OFF SALE! - Save $600✅]Sky Master ULTIMATE: Sky, Ocean, Volume Clouds-lighting, Weather, RTGI

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Nov 17, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Unity 5 demo WIP, artistic and volumetric effects

UPDATE:

I have started working on a system that will allow the easy customization and prefab creation of a sky system, from a simple 2 draw call sky and volume clouds setup, to a complete weather simulation with seasons and advanced effects.

I think this is now essential since the pack contains a huge ammount of systems (and will keep growing), many very advanced and is a good idea to have a centralized prefab configurator.

Many features are planned for particle editing as well, like property copy among particle systems and control of various particle properties, particle scaling, automatic performance enchancement and much more. Also the configurator will come with a big library of ready to use configurations for the sun, clouds etc

The Sky Master Configurator, besides the above tools, will contain a library with six major categories:

- Sky rendering (for choosing skybox mode shaders or configuring the dome system, also choosing the proper shaders/materials if Unity 5 is used).
    - Sun beams (automatic configuration of Unity 5 image effect or the cheaper mesh based beams)
    - Weather behavior (decide on storm, rain etc properties and scheduling)
    - Volumetric Clouds (enable various properties and configure colume cloud bed for various performance needs)
    - Scatter fog (configuration of the terrain for scatter fog,volumetric haze setup and global fog modes)
    - Advanced systems (addition of advanced particle systems, like Turbulence, local forces, ice/fire spread, ice melt etc)

The final goal is to allow the easy creation of complex setups with a few clicks, that will work out of the box and the prefab creation for simple drop in the scene afterwards.

Many new features are also considered, like various snow growth methods, shader based dome clouds and integration to my trees and decals pack (InfiniTREE) for complete world generation with various cool effects like actual 3D accumulating snow in real time, automated changing of tree/grass art and items in various seasons etc

A huge thanks for the amazing reviews and support for the pack, that help it move forward and allow me to introduce new elements and systems faster.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some extra notes on performance.

The provided prefabs use a fast moving sun for preview purposes. If the sun cycle is returned to a normal slower type, the volumetric clouds can be updated at a much larger interval, making them take up even less in CPU time.

So as a first step to optimizing for a scene, define the sun cycle speed and increase the volumetric cloud bed update interval to a much higher value to match the rate the sun coloration should change.

The update rate for the volumetric clouds is a public variable that can be set directly in the clouds script.

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Pics from the Unity 5 demo WIP

Extreme draw call optimization

One draw call volumetric cloud bed (with any cloud number, it still takes just one draw call), one draw call sky rendering (skybox mode) and Unity 5 image effects (sun beams).

The upcoming sky configurator will make it easy to get any sky mood with adjustable properties and preview

4. twobob

twobob

Would be interested in checking this out I think.

Super Impressive. Like Super!

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks a lot for the kind comments :)
    I am experimenting with more filters as well, Unity 5 is amazing to use

6. twobob

twobob

I - as you know - always try to rip it to the minimum.

Morning.JPG

Sunset.JPG

Night.JPG
    A lot of fun!
    And a very decent draw count for that 25km2 swath.

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks a lot for the testing, it really helps a huge lot :)

I have now optimized the clouds CPU usage with some simple ways for starters and is already a day and night difference, i get only 3-5ms even on my laptop. I spread the particle calcs over an adjustable count of frames and optimized the particle system a bit too.

Also fixed some minor color grading issues (some times they changed too fast, i now lerp them).

These optimizations will come in the next version (v1.6).

I can also send the updated volume cloud script over to any customer on demand.

twobob likes this.
  8. twobob

twobob

Super heroic fast update!

Amazing :D

Will be around all day to test this one : )

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :), it needed that optimization for sure, now it is super smooth at all times even on my laptop.

I am trying to figure out where the 3 draw calls come from though, clouds take one and sky one, the 3rd seems to be there no matter what i cut back. Any ideas ?

Also i have to adjust the system to do a full update on the first run, to grab the proper colors when the game starts, after that it will be ready and i can send the file and new scene for testing on the scenery.

twobob likes this.
  10. twobob

twobob

Gui layer camera. Something of that order?

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

I think i removed all from the camera too, still got that one draw call somewhere. Also it is strange that when i come out of the play mode, it reports 2 draw calls like it should. It is probably some Unity 5 peculiarity :)

twobob likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few updates about Unity 5

It seems that the "Tag.cs" helper script that runs when unity starts to setup the tags/layers in Unity 4, is running in Unity 5 without success and shows a message in the console constantly. The script will be updated for the next version (either by cutting it off with !Unity_5 or try to find how to implement it in Unity 5 properly)

In the mean time the script can be erased from Unity 5 project so it stops producing the "add layer" warning. The required layer must be set manually in Unity 5 as described in the manual. (Though this layer is required for reflections and is probably not needed when using Unity 5 in skybox mode, since reflections are integrated by default and do no need extra setup)

EDIT: Also a problem has been discovered with the scatter fog terrain shaders in Unity 5, they require some extra intitlizations in Unity 5, i am working on it and hopefully will solve it today.

@twobob
    A huge thanks for brining this to my attention and for all the help with the pack optimization :)

EDIT 2:
    The bolded line below fixes the produced errors in the Unity and Mesh terrain shaders
    (in SMDistFoggyTerrainFP.shader and SM_Foggy_Terrain.shader files).

"
    v2f vert(appdata_full v) {
    v2f o;
    UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(v2f,o);

"

Also from tests i did it seems the Unity terrain shader works only in linear color space (the mesh terrain works in both), i am looking to find a way to make it work in gamma space as well.

Also for the previous non foggy terrain shader, Unity 4 version seems to not be working in Unity 5

This can be solved by replacing the shader in Assets/SkyMaster/Materials/SMTerrain/SkyMaster Terrain Material with the Unity 5 diffuse terrain shader, or with use one of the new Foggy terrain shaders.

twobob likes this.
  13. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

An update for the pack will be sent in the next day(s) for fixing the errors in terrain shaders in DX9 mode in Unity 5 and also adding the new super CPU optimized volumetric clouds. I think these are both required to go up as soon as possible.

Then i will work on making the terrain shader for Unity 5 gamma color space compatible and other Unity 5 related enchancements.

twobob likes this.
  14. twobob

twobob

Impressive response to adversity there sir. A lesser publisher might have crumbled.
    The new performance is better for sure, at night, when the clouds are non-present: the system is "resource invisible", when the clouds are "ramming around" during the day the resource consumption is much better.
    Big steps toward that inevitable "Wow" goal.

Top job so far

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the update and kind comments :). I will release this first version so everynone can play with the much faster clouds and have the corrected shaders, probably today.

Then there is always room for extra optimizations and i am considering putting in multithreading as well, which would further reduce the impact for the updates.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Version 1.6 has been submitted to the store for review and will be released early next week.

This version fixes some issues with terrain scatter fog shaders in Unity 5 and updates prefabs for the new Unity version. Also brings a big (and adjustable) optimization in volumetric cloud CPU usage.

twobob likes this.
  17. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few pics from the Unity 5 new demo.

Version 1.6 with the new cloud optimizations should be up soon, the new demo will come in the next update (ULTIMATE version).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    twobob likes this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master
    v1.6
    should be up in the store later today or until the end of the week.

The pack was submitted in March 21st.

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master v1.6 is now up on the asset store !!!

The new version brings new performance enchancements as well as fixing some usuability issues reported. For any other consideration or suggestion, please feel free to post requests here and i will try to implement them as fast as possible.

Version 1.6 updates:
    - Further increased volumetric cloud performance with new options to control spread of calculations over multiple frames
    - Extra checks added for the smooth operation of the system in various setup situations
    - Added fix for terrain shaders for Unity 5, they no longer produce an error when compiled under DX9
    - Added small fixes to scenes and prefabs related to Unity 5 and for extra performance

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

A note on the new prefabs:

Please use the prefabs in Version 1.5 folder of the asset, for the latest implementation and enchancements. These also include the performance oriented version with the different cloud etc texture set.

There is also a major difference in the Unity 5 skybox shader comparing to Unity 4,
    there is a requirement to add "1" to the sun height follow factor, so when the hero changes height the sun will remain to the same position.

This follow factor is described in detail in the manual and can be used for a latency effect as well or various placement styles for the sun system (if other than "1" value is used)

21. j00hi

j00hi

Hello, may I ask you, how you've implemented fog? Is it implemented with particle systems?
    How is performance on mobile devices?

Thanks!

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

The general fog is the standard Unity one, controlled by the main weatherscript. The scatter fog on the ground is shader based, for maximum performance and there will be an image effect based one at the next update, but image effects are very heavy even for a strong PC, so the current version is the one to use for mobile.

The local fog/haze is realized with a particle control system and can be localized and move along with the hero (functionality included in the main script as well). The same system can also be used for volumetric clouds and smoke (the volcano smoke for example) and can be lit. This can be heavy for mobile depending on desired use.

The mobile performance depends on which systems are active at each time. The sky in the new v1.6 is using a skybox shader for one draw call fast rendering (no need for sky dome, though it is an option). This also has the perk that works out of the box with Unity 5 IBL, physically based shading and GI without any extra calculations.

The volumetric clouds with a low update rate (works great on the normal day cycle speed) also take only one draw call and very little CPU (as of v1.6). There are of course restrictions on mobile due to fill rate, so it will work best on stronger mobile systems (but can be used on weaker, with lower particle and cloud numbers and tricks to update cloud creation - there are a number of included controls for that).

The weather effects like storms, tornados or lightning are rather heavy for mobile and will have to be toned down and work one by one to deliver good performance. Other effects like rain or snow that can travel along with the hero can be used with nice performance with a bit of tweaking depending on target platform (these use the standard Shuriken particles, so can easilly be controlled in particle number and shaders)

Let me know if there any further questions. I can also export an APK of the base mobile prefab if needed as a demo to evalute the performance of sky + volume clouds + scatter ground fog on your target system. I can only support Android for that purpose, as i dont own Apple hardware.

Also a note on the scatter fog shader, the Unity terrain variety is shader model 3 (the one thing in the pack that is not SM2.0), so the scatter fog for mobile (SM2.0) is for mesh terrains. From what i have seen Unity terrain is not for mobile use, so i did not port that shader to SM2.0.

Generally the system has been made with low draw call in mind and to be compatible mobile, but the main target is PC, so adapting to mobile may require a lot of tweaking depending on the case. There is a full new set of reworked assets (textures, settings and shaders) in v1.6 with performance in mind and settings set lower to help direct the adaptation and many performance enchancements.

For any further adaptation help and direction i am always available in the forum and through email.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have made an APK demo and is available for everyone that would like to test the sky + volumetric clouds + scatter fog terrain. I can send the link to dropbox upon request.

Note that the terrain mesh i use is from the desktop version (but is low poly on general). Also there is rain enabled in the scene.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

APK demo pic (running on PC)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The new APK demo is now available with a few more enchancements

I can provide the dropbox link for everyone that needs to evaluate the sky + volumetric clouds + scatter fog terrain on an Android platform.

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

New cloud formation and lighting features are in the works for the system, for the next update. A combination of the cloud shader with the scatter shader is also in the works.

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hints and tips Volume 1:

- The volumetric clouds as of version 1.6, besides the previous calculation delay factor, have a spread across frames factor for calculations that can further control performance and CPU usage. The prefabs are set to a fast day cycle, so if a realistic day speed is chosen, the cloud calculations can be set to a much bigger delay and spread across frames.

- The system as of version 1.5 has two sky rendering choices. The standard skydome shader, that uses a sky sphere and the new Skybox shader that can be used directly in the skybox, without the need for the sphere. This mode will also automatically integrate with Unity 5 and all its features, like IBL, PBS and GI. Plus it uses only one draw call.

- As of version 1.5, the system can use just two draw calls for the volume clouds and sky rendering, using the new skybox mode.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  28. nasos_333

nasos_333

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hints and Tips Volume 2:

- A camera follow factor of one is needed in Unity 5 skybox mode (parameter in SkyMasterManager script). This will make sure the sun does not move when camera goes above ground height. This parameter can also be set above or below one, to give a latency effect as camera height changes

- It is possible to use two skymaster systems in the same scene, one with skybox and one with skydome. The two suns would both illuminate the scene, so it would need some scripting to enable each light depending on the game. The sky will render properly as long as the two systems use separate materials for the skies (for example the skybox system should not update the same material used in the skydome etc)

- It is easy to adapt the included prefabs to Unity 5 - add the skybox material for Unity 5 (click on Unity 4 one in the main script to move to relevant folder that holds both versions) and check "Unity 5" option in the SkyMasterManager script, the rest is handled automatically.

- Checking the "Mobile" option in the SkyMasterManager script, will enable the color update of particles through script, rather than shader. This is used for the performance oriented shaders that do not have a color property.

30. Xenonus

Xenonus

I've bought this asset seeing it's great potential!
    Just one question: is it possible to include a simple Unity 5 only prefab or create a step-by-step manual for Unity 5 only?
    It is possible to adapt it now, however it takes some time to figure out the proper folders/settings and less advanced users are not able to configure it properly (or configure it not the most efficient way).
    I'm sure you would get more positive feedbacks with an instant "out-of-the-box" solution :)

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Xenonus,

I completly agree that a simpler Unity 5 ready prefab should be included, i am working on submitting the asset for Unity 5, so it should be a complete solution.

The transition to Unity 5 is also described in steps in the Guide included in the root of the pack, in the last pages.

The process is very simple, just one material has to be replaced and two parameters changed and everything else is automated.

The steps in summary to port the skybox prefab to Unity 5:

1. Insert the prefab found in Version 1.5 folder which name includes the word Skybox in the scene
    2. Adjust its placement so the sun is in the desired place (the Character in the prefab should match about the hero of the game position)
    3. Click on the Skybox material in the SkyMasterManager main script and this will move to the folder where the Unity5 material is found. Replace the material with the Unity 5 variety.
    4. Click on "Unity 5" option on top of the scipt
    5. Set the "camera follow" parameter to one (above the time of day meter).
    6. Remove/replace Character and Camera with game ones (they dont have to be parented as in the prefab)
    7. Set the cutoff height in volumetric cloud bed (this is the height at which volume clouds will go dark at night, usually i set lower than the terrain so clouds can grab those last sun rays even when the sun is a bit under)

The rest is automated, so the system will work right away after these changes.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  32. nasos_333

nasos_333

Also the system requires some tags to be added for the advanced effects.
    Here is the tags that need to go in the project for Unity 5 (automatically added in Unity 4)

Conductor (for attracting lightning)
    Flammable (for cathcing fire/ice)
    Flamer (for spreading fire/ice)
    Tornado
    SkyMasterTree
    (for changing color with seasons, must have two materials and one have color property, like Unity trees setup)
    Grass (for attract/repel particles only in Y axis, assing on particle system)
    Butter (for butterflies behavior)
    Freezable (for freeze effects behavior)

More details on each option and the advanced particle systems can be found in the manual.

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some tests i did with Sky Master and HorizON in Unity 5.

Sky Master is using the Skybox mode and the one draw call super optimized volumetric cloud bed.

The system (sky + clouds) takes just two draw calls.

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

QUICK PREFAB SETUP MINI GUIDE FOR UNITY 5

The steps in summary to port the skybox prefab to Unity 5:

1. Insert the prefab found in Version 1.5 folder which name includes the word Skybox in the scene
    2. Adjust its placement so the sun/moon system is in the desired place (the Character in the prefab should match about the hero of the game position). The sun/moon are looking at a target transform which should be located at the middle of the game area and at the terrain height.
    3. Click on the Skybox material in the SkyMasterManager main script and this will move to the folder where the Unity5 material is found. Replace the material with the Unity 5 variety.
    4. Click on "Unity 5" option on top of the scipt
    5. Set the "camera follow" parameter to one (above the time of day meter).
    6. Remove/replace Character and Camera with game ones (they dont have to be parented as in the prefab)
    7. Set the cutoff height in volumetric cloud bed (this is the height at which volume clouds will go dark at night, usually i set lower than the terrain so clouds can grab those last sun rays even when the sun is a bit under)

The rest is automated, so the system will work right away after these changes.

Also the system requires some tags to be added for the advanced effects.
    Here is the tags that need to go in the project for Unity 5 (automatically added in Unity 4)

Conductor (for attracting lightning)
    Flammable (for cathcing fire/ice)
    Flamer (for spreading fire/ice)
    Tornado
    SkyMasterTree
    (for changing color with seasons, must have two materials and one have color property, like Unity trees setup)
    Grass (for attract/repel particles only in Y axis, assing on particle system)
    Butter (for butterflies behavior)
    Freezable (for freeze effects behavior)

More details on each option and the advanced particle systems can be found in the manual.

The GUIDE included in the project root folder also contains the above procedure in detail and with images showing all steps.

Also note that all prefabs that use the skydome, can also be used in Unity 5 and with skybox mode, by disabling the skydome sphere and adding the skybox material to the "skybox mat" slot in the SkyMasterManager script, plus the above steps.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  36. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few clarifications on Sky Master, to address a few questions i receieved on the system features.

Sky Master does the full physically based scattering model, optimized to work in SM2.0, so it is compatible with all devices !!!

Sky Master skybox mode fully integrates with Unity 5, works in SM2.0 and perspective/ortho camera out of the box. Also works with all Unity 5 features (like the new Unity 5 skybox).

For ultimate realism & compatibility, with minimal performance impact.

Also both skybox and skydome systems are provided, for ultimate choice. Also these two systems may work together in the same scene, for ultimate versatility.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  37. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A new set of prefabs pre-made for Unity 5 is planned for the next version, so there is no need to change material and do the steps required to port Unity 4 prefabs for Unity 5.

These will be included in a new .unitypackage file in UNITY5 folder and can be imported in the project if Unity 5 is used.

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

A question to all customers of the pack.

Would you like to see the next version remain Unity 4 compatible, or should i release for Unity 5 ?

The new Weather ULTIMATE system (precision weather scheduling) will be a lot better if it is using the full range of Unity 5 capabilities, like the new upcoming atmospheric scattering image effect etc

Of course the current version will function properly under Unity 4, this will be for future releases.

Any input will be appreciated, since keeping the system for two versions is increasingly more complex and holds some of the possible functionality back.

39. nasos_333

nasos_333

The regular price has been submitted for the pack ($70) and the reduced one will last a few more days until it has passed review by the store.

Make sure to grab the pack while in the review process at half price !!

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE will be submitted for Unity 5 today.

For all Unity 5 users, this will contain a ready to use scene and setup with the base of the system.

Also a few fixes in shaders (rain and moon specifically) to better fit Unity 5.

The full range of weather effects will be included and can be activated from the script by changing seasons, or using the auto_seasonal mode, but wont be turned on by default.

Also Intructions have been added directly in the prefab, for easy reference.

The system base is extremely optimized and taking just 5ms for volumetric clouds + physically based sky + scatter fog and just 2 draw calls for sky+ volume clouds !!!!

And that is on my very old non gaming laptop (5 years old almost), in full resolution.

boysenberry likes this.
  41. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE has been submitted for Unity 5 natively. This version will work with Unity 5 right away and has some fixes in a few shaders to look best in Unity 5 and solve some sorting issues.

The new submission has to pass review and will be up next week.

Everyone that would like to have that new Unity 5 version immediately,
    please email me with the invoice and i will send a link to the new Unity 5 native pack .

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

Scatter fog image effect for Sky Master v1.7

UPDATE:

The new scatter fog image effect for Unity 5 version of Sky Master ULTIMATE is almost done and in the polishing stages. Also will be integarted with the day cycle and seasons.

This system will come along the dynamic shader based cloud dome in Sky Master ULTIMATE v1.7

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  43. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

In response to the customer input, go for Unity 5. The versions that exist for 4.x are already mature enough for those that insist on staying put. Boldly go...

I have implemented this tool to learn more about how it operates, and how I can use it for future games. I don't figure I will have the time to pull something together until I retire, while learning at the same time. A suggestion to overcome the UI-overload that this and other powerful tools can induce: lead the user by the nose.

Have you considered asking the user in a series of dialogues what features they would like to implement? I have ended up just pulling in the "Mobile Fastest" prefab, and fiddling around with the options to start my learning curve. It remains steep. Get the user to tell the program; how large is the terrain, where is the horizon, how high should the clouds be, where should the sun rise, want a moon? Etc. Then start on the features. An estimate of performance would help as Gilligans like me want to toss in the kitchen sink as well.

It is almost impossible for a noob to parse out what they want when the demo scenes offer every rack of the candy store...

Now, my purpose for typing: As said, using the U5 Mobile Fastest prefab, my skies always seem to be red, redder, or bloody freakin' red. How do I adjust this? And, my sun starts to rise while the sky is still black if I let it run for 30-45 minutes. Did I munge up one of the myriad options?

By the way, this is one helluva product, and like Terrain/World Composer, money I feel is well spent and solidly earned. Good job, and continued success.

Mark

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the kind comments :)

I am aware that the asset suffers from lots of complexity, which unfortunately got worse with Unity 5 that added an extra layer of that, due to the new skybox shader.

I have been trying to provide a more streamlined way to use with more prefab options in the latest versions.

The idea of a configurator is high in the plans for the next version as well and thanks a lot for the input on this, i will try to implement one that gives all the mentioned above options and much more in v1.7.

Also i have submitted a Unity 5 native version, which i had not done so far due to the testing it required.

To the questions about the sky.

I inserted the "SkyMaster Earth VOLUME CLOUDS v.1.5 MOBILE FASTEST SKYDOME" prefab in a scene and test it and i cant reproduce the sun rising early problems after running for long (about an hour) and trying various on the fly changes. I remember that was an issue with a previous version, so please check that you have the latest one (v1.6).

About the red sky, the system after time 22:00 lerps the global tint from afternoon reddish to black, but if the speed of the day cycle is very fast it does not have the time to do the lerp ( i have a constant lerp speed). I set the speed below 30 and it returns to black normally, so you may choose a lower speed for the day cycle so there is enough time to go back to black at night. You can debug the tint at any time by looking at the "Tint Color" parameter in the SkyMasterManager. I will add extra control options for that behavior in v1.7, or tie the update speed to the day cycle speed so the lerp is faster when day cycle speed is set higher.

In general Unity 5 should be used with the new skybox mode and prefabs, so you can use the full range of Unity 5 features with it (IBL, GI etc). Since this has proven to be user unfriendly by many users to both find the right prefab and setup for Unity 5, i have created a Unity 5 native version and just one clear prefab to use and submitted to the store. This version should be up early next week.

The rest of the functionality like skydome are optional to use as well in Unity 5 and actually i have tested using two skies in the same scene and works great (one skybox and one skydome). That means you can have a skydome little world inside a skybox world for example and transition to it from the same scene (though it would need extra scriptng to turn on/off one of the two suns each time).

I can send the new Unity 5 native version immediately (the pack as submitted to the store) to all customers that are interested as well, so you dont have to wait.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  45. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Thanks nasos_333. I am amazed at the number and speed of updates. It takes me a week to get a couple of scripts cobbled together. I would be interested in picking up that U5 specific update, and will wait patiently for a "guided implementation and optimization" version. 8)

Cheers!
    Mark

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Mark,

Indeed the updates are rather frequent mainly due to Unity 5 release that created a whole new world of possibilities to work with :)

I am now hard at work with the configurator, a very special shader based cloud dome for higher clouds, Weather Effects ULTIMATE module and volumetric scatter fog image effect for the next version, then i suppose will be the time to slow down a bit.

I have uploaded the new Unity 5 native version and can send a google drive link right away if desired, so you dont have to wait for the store.

Please send me the invoice number in artengames@yahoo.com and i will email the link.

This new prefab also packs an "Instructions" section for direct reference at all times and with many hints and tips, without visting the manual etc

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Sky Master version 1.6.5 has been submitted to the store and will be up soon.

This new version is Unity 5 oriented and brings a Unity 5 native setup, sample scene and prefab.

Also contains the following

- Fix for red tint remaining at night time from dusk at certain cases.
    - Fix a camera positioning issue for Unity 5.
    - Added a preset (preset 1) for a summer time skies

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  48. nasos_333

nasos_333

A note on Sky presets for Unity 5 (v1.6.5)

Currently for Unity 5 release (v1.6.5) two presets are supported, preset 0 (default) and a summer oriented sky preset 1, which can be changed in the script before or during gameplay. Presets can be set in real time (though there is no lerp yet).

A preset lerp option will arrive in v1.6.6 soon.

Also both the lerp and new presets can easilly be added in the code, due to the nature of the shader control in Unity 5 that requires only a few lines of parameter setup.

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

Version 1.6.5 is now up at the store

This is the first Unity 5 native version and using the new skybox mode.

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The upcoming Sky Configurator will have three basic modes. Performance, Optimized and Desktop. Each of those will apply a pre-defined set of systems and settings to be used.

For example the Performance choice will populate the Sky system with mobile versions of particle clouds, super optimized version of Volume Clouds, with low update rates, skybox shader so there will be no need for skydome and shader based scatter fog on a sample mesh terrain, which is ideal for ultimateperformance (vs the image effects version of fog which is coming soon and will be a bit more expensive)

The Desktop choice will still keep everything as optimized as possible, but will maximize the pretty factor with thicker volume clouds (still only one draw call), image effect based scatter fog for ultimate beauty and multiple cloud layers in the upcoming shader based cloud dome (which will be used for the clouds higher than the vlume cloud bed).

There is a lot of complexity to provide this system that will handle the full range of possible target platforms, so will take a while to get it perfect and fully tested, but once ready will provide not just an easy way to create a huge variety of amazing skies, but also tailor to the target platform(s) very easilly.

Ideally this system will also be able to read a current sky system and have the ability to convert it to lower or higher end version with a few clicks.

The work on the shader based cloud dome is about 80% done and on scatter fog (that will have some very cool tricks and controls) is around 90%.

The weather configurator is still rather early, but will move a lot faster once those other individual systems are completed and integrated to the system. There is also a plan for a visual represenation of the weather schedule, directly in the scene and an easy way to move that schedule between scenes.