Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Save $600 !! ✅]Global Illumination Proxy-Fast fully real time GI,Zero baking,Mobile optimized,IBL

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Aug 9, 2014.

1. zenGarden

zenGarden

Why not a complete tutorial , in some existing level with a character how to add the proxy to the character, the setup in hero mode for example and tweaking ?

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

I will make sure to do one like this as well, the problem with this is that the first steps vary based on how you handle the sun or the player for example, so there is no clear way to go about it and will require some planning.

I may start with a Sky Master implementation, so there is a proper sun rotation system in place, since this is also a vital part in making the system work in a complete way.

Combining the proxy with the character is not very complex either, it is just an assignement in the script (or by tag), there is not much to it so i can cover it easilly when i have the general idea of how the sun will move in the sample in place.

The video with the grid positioning and density control shows where the player is referenced, how the grid can be tweaked around the player and shows how the grid follows the hero as he moves and how raycasting is happening based on sun orientation.

The majority of required tweaking is also covered in the posted videos, these are the main things that need tweaking to get the base working in various cases / scales, so i think these smaller videos are better in order to focus on the use of the main parameters and see how they behave, in a more complete tutorial would be harder to showcase their full use i think, since the video would be too long and harder to watch.

So the next video can be about the full workflow (like all paramaters that need to be set), but not the tweaking part, which will be covered better by the smaller videos.

What do you think ?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  3. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Thanks, @nasos_333! These videos are helpful, but a full workflow video starting with an existing scene and adding/configuring GI Proxy would be great. I think starting with SkyMaster sounds like a good approach, since there are dependencies there.

Good luck with the Alloy integration. I think that will be a huge thing, if you can work that out. :)

4. zenGarden

zenGarden

1) I imported GI proxy in a project , but there is no tutorial showing how to setup a GI Proxy "hero mode" on any existing character controler ( I don't want to use GI_proxy character controllers but my own).
    It seems it is not possible to implement GRI Proxy hero mode on top of some existing character controller.
    Do you need to rework your scripts ? Is there some video showing a third person game where you install and add Gi proxy ?

2) There is too much parameters for the light_color_PDSM, this is the most complex and difficult to understand plugin settings in the Asset Store.
    When we pass the mouse over a parameter , this shoud display a bubble message explaining what it deoes
    Why don't you propose a simplified version with only 5 or 10 essential parameters and let all others parameters on some additionnal scriptor advanced tabs and or grouped by functionnality ?
    (look at Unity editor Lighting Window and how it is done)

3) It is a big mess of parameters where you just throw anything mixed with others.
    For example we see a Jove checkbox, this should be part of a sub group named "external lightening and shaders" for example. There is no presentation and no care about Proxy GI better interfaces, set up tutorials and simplification.

3 bis) Lot of parameters looks like it is a toy box plugin.
    Not_important_2ond ? Go_random ? Divid_init_intensity ? Min_dist_to_last_light ? Min_dist_to_last_source ? Enable_follow ? Jitter_directionnal ? Bound_up_down ? Get_hit_Color ? Mix_colors ? Dynamic update colors? etc .... o_O
    Why so much parameters ? Why no bubble notes ? why they are not grouped by functionnality ? Why not keeping non interesting and really specific parameters to secondary groups or script ?
    It is almost 50 parameters, this is not acceptable , you should have a main tab with 5 or 10 most parameters max and let the others on some advanced tab.

The plugin would needs a lot of work and love to make it simple to use and better to understand (i would not put more than 15$ on some non polished made quick and dirty)
    It is in the same state as the Beta state in the beginnings , it has not improved since, or gained simplification, clarity to make it better or tutorial setups from scratch.

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

There is no special setup when you need to use your own character controller, you only need to tell the script who is the player (by tag or by direct reference), the GI scipt goes in the lights you need GI enabled and not in the character controller.

The only case you need to setup anything on the character controller itself is when you want the player to hold a spot light for example, so the light itself would need to be on the player controller.

The parameters are all essential, so i cannot cut back any since this would limit a lot the usuability of the asset, i can however point out the most common ones to do the basic tweaking in videos, i will try to have more later as well. Also i will create a custom inspector for the asset to group things together under tags in later versions.

There was never a beta release for the asset, the system works as it does now from the start (minus the 2ond bounce lights and a few extra tweaks).

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

I will work on such a more complete tutorial video as soon as possible and post it here.

Are there other area light solutions that would be nice to have support for as well besides Alloy lights ?

7. zenGarden

zenGarden

You should separate the more important ones from others with a better presentation (Jove system far exemple will be used by one or two users only).

I loaded the scenes examples and this is confusing with many objects named "gi_something" , the hierarchy tab displayd lot of theses objects , i didn't understood if they were necessary , this is really not clear and a real mess.
    Why not keeping two or three objects named "gi_something" and keep the other with normal names ?

Some videos steap by step showing how to add your system so some existing games would be lot more benefical, instead of small demos made around the plugin.

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

I agree that some of the demos can be a bit confusing since they have directional, point and spot lights showcased in the same scene.

I am working on the step by step videos now, so hopefully i will have a fully from scratch one very soon that will further clarify things.

Will do one for directional first and two more for spot and point lights.

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

I have some bugs :
    1) some scenes contains grey objects in the hiererachy panel (something not used or broken)
    2)In the "hero mode" scene test ,Gi is only working in some place of the level, if the characters go elsewhere , the GI keeps be calculated at the same place, it doesn't follows the player

3)FPS plugin does not work : it displays "FPS" only with no numbers.

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

Keep it more like a real time game instead of shiny non usefull demos.
    -Exemple with one directionnal light only, this is a common case used a lot
    -Directionnal light and some points lights spread around the level.

If anyone seeing your video, is able from scratch to attach the only scripts needed on top of their aexisting game , and be able to adjust main parameters, then this is the video people need (like some others plugins creators have done greatly to improve greatly the plugin experience usage).

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

I tested the scene and the lights follow the hero. Can you move to the right (outside the building) and enable gizmos to see why this may happen on your side ?

The FPS meter is using a free asset from the store, which must be downloaded first to work, i cannot inlude it in the asset though.

12. zenGarden

zenGarden

You should remove it from your demo, having to download others plugins dependency to test your plugin demo is not great.

I put the character controller object in the light collision PDM slot , but the light collision grid does not follow the character.

I found that the character object has many light collision PDM ? why there is three ?
    "gamelight 0 backup", ""gamelight 0",""gamelight 0 get parameters"
    This is the most awfull to understand plugin i ever baught, you really need a video setup from scratch step by step in a already existing game, showing what scripts or objects you add to a character and what you tweak. Some complete setup tutorial with one directionnal light only in a first time would help anyone trying to use your plugin.

13. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

The only other one I can think of is Physically Based Area Lights 2.0. I don't have this one yet, so I don't know much of the details. The developer seems responsive on his support thread, however.

Looking forward to these tutorial videos! :D

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Did you put the [Character] or the "First Person Controller" in the slot ?

In your pic, the [Character ] has not moved for example.

In the sample controller the hero is the "First Person Controller" controller item, this is the one that moves with the arrow keys, the [Character] is a group that holds it for organization purposes.

You need to place the player (the item that actually moves, e.g. "First Person Controller" ) to the HERO slot in the LightCollisionsPDM that is attached to the sun.

I will create a video showing the procedure as well soon.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is the first set of step by step tutorial, i have the setup for the character controller, hero follow mode, adjusting the grid, debugging the rays and adjusting the light creation and intensities.

There is only one GI script needed for this tutorial on the Sun, the Sun system used is the default of Sky Master ULTIMATE.

In the next tutorials i will show how to eliminate uneeded lights (by height cutoff, or tag and layer based method) to optimize for the scene specifics (e.g. cut back the bounce lights on the building roof or above a height from the player etc)

John-G and zenGarden like this.
  16. zenGarden

zenGarden

You don't speak on your tutorials. So why have not made some titles or bubbles text on the important steps saying what you are doing ? Anyway this is better than no step by step tutorial.

I saw that you use sky master plugin in your tutorial , as you use a sun object from it in the first tutorial; what a mess.
    Could you not just use a simple terrain, some trees , a house , a directionnal light and a character controller ONLY ? A general purpose tutorial not made using your other plugins o_O

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  17. nasos_333

nasos_333

I may add a few overlay text later, i will see how this can be done, though video creation is not one of my major skills, so will take some time.

The manual describes what the parameters do, so you can use this as reference until the text overlay for the ones that may not be clear. Plus you will get a lot more detail and info through the manual, so will come useful later.

18. zenGarden

zenGarden

I meaned your video could be somewhat more clear with text saying "Move Directionnal light transform to PDM slot" etc ... I didn't mened to explain all parameters perhaps few important ones.
    Thank you the tutorial really helps a lot compared to your old videos.

19. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yes this could helps.
    Your first tutorial does not begin with a simple camera, the camera has attached objects childs like
    "spotlight with gi", "droplets",etext attarct".
    Why not having really taken a simple camera , a simple directionnal light, and a simple character controller, alls with no GI objects , then start adding the objects and scripts from scratch ?

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Maybe i can add below the video the few major moves and their time in the video as a first step. That should be fast to do as a first step.

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master adds a few things to the camera by default, the procedure to add the GI Proxy to the sun light i think is very clear though ( i have included the step where you add the LightCollisionPDM script from scratch to the Sun)

The spot lights and point lights will be covered in next tutorials (e.g. i will erase this Sky Master default placed spot light in the camera and make it from scratch as well)

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

You should have proposed a video that does not use others plugins dependencies and keep it simple with one directionnal light.

1) In your first vide the camera has already attached "spot light with gi" ? What it is ? it is necessary ?
    It seems the GI systel is already working in the first video , even before adding the collision PDM to the main directionnal light ?

2) In the video what is the "projector obj" you put in the collision PDM slot ? It seems it is the sun itself already containing the collision PDM ? I is not a self reference that could be avoided ?
    How to create a "projector obj" from scratch ?

3) In the video you create a bounce ligts pool ,your plugin code is able to create itself a new empty gameobject and use it automatically in the grid PDM collision.
    Why having added such unecessary manual step ?

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Spot light with GI is the default in Sky Master setup spot light with GI. It is disabled by default too (thus does not affect the scene in any way)

It is for spot lights, so it is not in the sun and thus the sun GI was not working before i added it to the sun.

A simple directional light would be a very limited showcase of the system, as it would not show how it behaves as the sun changes position properly. So i will stick with this approach, the sun can be any other light though, so the same principles apply to any other sky system (if it has a sun light, that is :) )

24. zenGarden

zenGarden

I agree but it is confusing, a simple directionnal light only example would have been lot more clear.

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

It would be indeed, but would be a very limited showcase of the system, as it would not show how it behaves as the sun changes position properly and would take away a major part of the tutorial value.

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Summary of tutorials so far.

Tutorials that showcase what the various major parameters do and how they affect the outcome, also how the grid of lights can be controlled around the player.

GI Proxy Light Grid around player density & placement

GI Proxy Bounce light tweaking creation distances between lights & from source

GI Proxy Bounce light controls Intensity - Fade Speeds - Offset from surfaces

Step by step tutorials (setup for the character controller, hero follow mode, adjusting the grid, debugging the rays and adjusting the light creation and intensities)

There is only one GI script needed for this tutorial on the Sun, the Sun system used is the default of Sky Master ULTIMATE.

In the next tutorials i will show how to eliminate uneeded lights (by height cutoff, or tag and layer based method) to optimize for the scene specifics (e.g. cut back the bounce lights on the building roof or above a height from the player etc)

Also how to keep lights alive longer as the player moves, so the new lights come in only as needed (than re-register in or near positions that have already been covered), by adjusting the "Max_hit_light_dist" parameter.

Arkade likes this.
  27. zenGarden

zenGarden

I used the settings like in your video with a directionnal light with intensity = 1.
    It seems your gi system can't override the light real time soft shadows ?

I ketp the same directionnal light and values, and i lightmaped the scene with Unity without using your gi system , the lightening distribution looks lot better , specially on the columns and arches that are more receiving lightening, while they remain very shadowed if i use your gi system only.
    Any clue on that ?

Why don't you propose in your plugin package the scene from the step by step tutorial finished with the final good values for the PDM collision , using one directionnal light only (no other plugin dependency like true sky or whatever).

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

The sun in the video is one directional light only, so can already be used as a demo without Sky Master ULTIMATE, the only difference is that the light would not be positioned properly with time of day, which i use to showcase how lights register in the video as a real sun moves.

So dont worry about the use of Sky Master ULTIMATE, there is zero difference in the GI setup with or without it, only in the way the source light is handled which is beyond the purpose of both the tutorial and the GI Proxy package.

You may use anything for the sun (of course if the sun is not done right, you wont get the same results, that is not something the pack covers, you will need Sky Master ULTIMATE for that purpose that is a sky / sun system and can position the sun properly using time of day and longitude/latitude systems, GI Proxy is a GI creation system from any light source, the light source itself is not handled by GI Proxy)

I dont understand the rest of the questions, do you mean why GI Proxy result looks different than baked GI or you use some special arrangement for the light mapping ?

If you break down the procedure of how you do the lightmapping and provide a detailed result (e.g. a video) i can focus in later tutorials on how to get similar result for example in real time. Note that in the tutorials i have not covered 2ond bounces as well, which can create lights from indirect lights giving an extra layer of depth to the lighting.

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

I tested the second bounce , but it was too much intensive as i wanted a good frame rate.

I baked the scene with Unity and keeping the directionnal light in "baked" mode, the result is we see the columns and arches more lighten.
    If i use no Unity gi baking , and only your gi plugin with one the same directionnal ligt in "real time" mode only, the arches and columns looks lot more darker compared to previous test.
    I guess i will have to play with values a lot and find what are the best values. for example using a grid with more rays can be more precise but it asks more ressources.

I am aware this is not a full gi accurate solution and this is more some fast approximation that is not intensive on ressources (until you don't use extreme parameters) , and it can be use to give some subtle gi feeling to a game keeping the frame rate of the game not so much impacted.
    So i will not ask too much about the lightening quality.

30. Arganth

Arganth

works with my post effect stack :)
    the low fps come from the ultra expensive ssrr

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Very cool :)

I just noticed yesterday that i have done a mistake in the demo, the target the GI has as player is parented to the light (i did it to organize things), and the light is turned when the Rotate sun sliders are used, which means the target may go outside the Attrium when should normally be stationary in this demo.

So if you see GI giving too few lights after a sun rotation with the sliders, this is the issue, the fix is to move the referenced player (in "HERO" parameter) to the scene root so it wont be rotated along with the sun light.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  32. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some pics from the new Unity 5 demo

John-G and chiapet1021 like this.
  33. zenGarden

zenGarden

When do you think you will have the new demo ? I am interested to see if it would be good enought to use in a small game.

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi zenGarden,

I will try to export the demo tomorrow and provide a google drive link.

zenGarden likes this.
  35. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have sent a PM with the update, let me know for any questions. The new demo is the last one (#12)

zenGarden likes this.
  36. zenGarden

zenGarden

I tested with the new update and i get this result using the Hero mode scene example

It looks good for a fast approximation.

And the bouncing light seems not regular in another test, does it comes from the lights pool ?

Anyway, if you make a new webplayer demo with your own settings, i'll be happy to test it.
    I noticed in your video tutorial that you are using different values from the plugin package default values when we install it.

37. nasos_333

nasos_333

I will export the demo as well, did the new #12 scene work well on your side ?

The full hero mode may require some extra tweaks, like expanding the lights more and increasing the distance from hit point offset. This creates a more even representation with the Unity point lights.

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

GI Proxy v1.6.5 has been submitted to the store and is pending review.

39. PatataFrita

PatataFrita

Hi, this asset could work with a voxel game that generates all (terrain, house, caves, etc) procedully in runtime?

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

The system is fully dynamic, so it can work with procedural worlds and dynamic lights, geometry etc and support all light types as well.

Let me know for further questions.

PatataFrita likes this.
  41. PatataFrita

PatataFrita

That's great. :D

I have questions about performance. This asset has little or much impact to the FPS?
    How max distance can generate this global illumination without much affect the FPS?

Thank you so much. :)

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

The performance is variable and depends on the render mode and the distances set for light creation.

You can either create denser bounce light grids for stronger PCs, or use fewer lights that will go higher along the hit surface normal to more centrally cover space and have better performance.

Everything is customizable in this way, plus i have many controls to eliminate lights below and above certain heights (e.g. lights from sun falling on roof etc) and based on layer and tag, to further control light creation.

Finally there is control of which items lights will affect per layer and various other enchancements.

The effect is better used for no very big distances, since the light grid would be too big, plus Unity in certain modes wont enable such a big number of lights as well.

The other thing is the system can work cummulatively, for exaple you can have one GI script to spread lights near the hero and one to spread a much wider, less dense light grid above ground height (say 2 times hero height) to cover a wider spread of light effect in wider area. This would require some tweaking to get perfect, but is possible.

I may add such optimizations in an automated way in later versions as well. The upcoming version will get a discount down to $30, so if you plan to buy i have now submitted this discount for next week, to keep in mind.

PatataFrita likes this.
  43. PatataFrita

PatataFrita

I think I understand what you say. Apart from youtube videos, in the asset there are other tutorials or documentation?

These optimizations would be fine. :)

Thanks so much for let me know about the discount, I think I'll buy it at that time.

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

There is a manual included that explains the script parameters and various samples as well to get started with.

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

GI Proxy is on discount for a limited time

Enjoy :)

mm_ASH, PatataFrita and John-G like this.
  46. Artaani

Artaani

Hello! I have a question about GI Proxy, before decide to buy it.

Turned out that Unity GI can be used only for premade environment because GI parameters should be precomputed in the editor and there is no any way to invoke this calculation during runtime, and I am super upset about it, because it is useless for dynamically created environment (Minecraft world, for example)

But how about your GI Proxy? It is able to work with environment which was created dynamically during runtime? Or if the technology requires some precomputed data, is it possible to make this calculation during runtime?

47. Artaani

Artaani

Oops! Just noticed your reply above:
    Wow! It is AMAZING! What a surprise! I waited for dynamic GI for a long time, and turned out there is already your amazing tool. : ) Great! I will buy it ASAP, thanks you. : )

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Note that the tool is emulating GI with point lights, it is a proxy system and not doing actual GI calculations (it is more like emulating the bounces directly). This allows for versatility and more than Unity lights can be used too (Jove for example) and does not need DX11 or other special shader etc so can be used in any platform.

I also plan to evaluate the new Unity area light system (when it is released to users) for the bounce lights, these can be used as ambient lights (dont affect specular), thus will give an even better emulation.

The pack is also included in Sky Master ULTIMATE (on discount currently) and is combined with a special volume lighting system of the Sky Master, if you would like to check that option/version too (coming soon in v3.4 of Sky Master, and also available as beta for current Sky Master users).

Here is a sample case use with Sky Master volume lighting

Let me know for any further questions

49. Artaani

Artaani

Thanks for quick reply : )

Wow! The new video is amazing! Yes, now I noticed that this is just a illusion of GI, and some point lights may be noticeable in first videos. But as far as I understand, we can increase the quality of calculation. For example in this, new video, point lights is barely visible, it looks almost like a real GI! Not perfect, but amazing since the fact that real GI useless for dynamic environment.

Sun shafts is also nice. I will check this tool too.

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

The system is rather versatile, so one thing it does is allow to shift the bounce light position along the hit surface normal or in the Y axis above the hit point. This can be used to both create more centralized bounce lights that cover a wider area with less lights (so has better performance) and also reduce the point light effect (e.g. specular on reflectivebumped surface).

Another possibility is to put two scripts in the same light and have one do lights at a higher level (bigger offset from ground, wider coverage area, with less lights and bigger light radius) and another do more detail light bounces in a smaller area around the player to grab the smaller color detail (the created grid can follow the player and adjust itself based on the sun positioning as well automatically)

This would emulate the various levels of harmonics.

In upcoming versions i hope to adapt the new Unity area lights (in ambient mode) and automate the harmonics emulation with a single script (create two sets / groups of bounce lights with different properties in the same script for example) for even better emulation.