Search Unity

Sandbox Showdown [For PC] Physics-Based Fighting Game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Deejayfistfang, May 3, 2018.

1. Deejayfistfang

Deejayfistfang

Hello everyone! I'm happy to finally be nearing the completion of my PC Game, Sandbox Showdown. I started off with knowing what sort of game I wanted to make, but not knowing the path or what features were even possible to achieve. Sandbox Showdown is a physics brawler, heavily utilizing the Unity Physics engine, with a very particular balance between combat and physics-interactions. Not to mention, vehicles!

Match up Hero Archetypes, like the Ninja or Soldier, against what you haven't seen before. Play a Wizard against a horde of Orcs, or a horde of Zombies, or Raptors. Each Hero isn't just a face, I wanted each to have specific abilities and vulnerabilities given their genres. This game is just about having a laugh, blowing things up, and trying new things.

This is "The Bulk" Hero, a juggernaut that can fling enemies around like, well, ragdolls. His special skin materials were made with a mix of diffuse textures, normal maps, and special painted Height Maps along with some shaders that add emissiveness, giving him a really cool internal glow.

bulk v centurion small.png

The Knight is armed with a big Two Handed Sword but lacks the range that other heroes have. Here he's fighting Space Marines. knight v space marines small.png

I've put a lot of love into the visual art of this game, and sometimes I've spent too much time on little details that end up being completely unnoticed. I've probably created twice as many textures than I've ended up using.

Sandbox Showdown is coming to Steam this month (fingers crossed) BUT I hope to talk to any of you other developers who are working with physics or getting their game of the ground.

Finally, here is an earlier video demo'ing just a little bit of the menus and the neighborhood level.

(Edit: I forgot to link the video =P)

FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME, or ask any questions, or discuss anything!

-DJ

Last edited: May 3, 2018