Search Unity

Samsung TIZEN App Challenge Made with Unity

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Aug 22, 2016.

1. trancanhluc

trancanhluc

Hi Everyone!
    I am having the issue for submitting my application to TIZEN Strore.
    [Defect]
    An API, which is not officially documented in the Tizen SDK, has been used in the source code of the Application package.
    [Expected Result]
    APIs that are not officially documented in the Tizen SDK should not be used in the source code of Application packages.
    [Reference]
    Base on guideline chapter 4.3.3, we prohibit use of undocumented API.
    Undocumented API is for internal platform developer only and such APIs are subjected to change without notice.
    So if application uses undocumented API, it does not guarantee compatibility for future platform update.
    See the attached file for further details on the use of undocumented APIs.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. std::__throw_out_of_range_fmt(char const*, ...)[bubblebash]
    2. __fdelt_chk[bubblebash]
    Please help me to check and give me some advice for this issue.
    Best Regards,
    Luc

2. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Meanwhile...we are able to launch on emulator but it fails the validation for another problem.
    It can't be so hard and tricky. I am guessing the tpk is compiled for emulator even if I choose mobile in "discover" right ? Now with the new version

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  3. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

@muziandkon or @Masterfalcon I am still getting this same error everybody seems to be complaining about as well, the std:: throw out of range fmt thing...

Any word on whats going on? Things to try? Should we be using the tizen addon installer that comes with the beta 5.5.0b6 or the one you linked before Masterfalcon? I tried doing "All" or targeting a mobile, development mode on, development mode off... nothing seems to work.

4. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Mad O Ball 3D for Tizen is on sale in store now, and already got first downloads and reviews,
    thanks to everybody who helped on the forum, the submission was fluent with some errors from our side in the first trial.
    We hope more developers can get to the store soon, if you need help, write here and I'll be glad to share my experience.

Unity rulez

5. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

My App is on the Tizen Store now too! Dragons Online - 3D Multiplayer
    Took a few tries, and messages backwards and forwards between the staff though XD
    Anyone willing to say how many downloads they've got? Per day or total.
    I'd like to do a comparison to see if im doing well or not.

I'm also not sure what the star rating section means on the tizen store developer area. * 4 / 13 stars
    My game is in English and not in Indian/Hindi and that seems to be the main Country/Language of the downloaders. And might explain the star rating.

6. Green-Sauce-Games

Green-Sauce-Games

Anybody that successfully published it, please...

Did you faced the problem "std::__throw_out_of_range_fmt(char const*, ...)"?

How did you solved it?

7. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

No, I personally didn't face this issue.
    But, it might be the same problem we had on first submission, the app wasn't starting on device, they didn't specify what error it was though.
    Why ? It was still compiled for the Emulator.

You must be sure to select ALL and first empty line in the Discover panel, and being sure to grab the .tpk from the Device subfolder folder.

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

@Green-Sauce-Games what version are you using? I had that error on the beta, but not in the stable release!

9. Green-Sauce-Games

Green-Sauce-Games

@MD_Reptile I'm using UNITY 5.5.0B7.

Did you published using Unity 5.4?

10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Yes.

11. OFzatt

OFzatt

Hello guys, I'm wondering if this competition limited to Indian developers? In a post on August 23, 2016 https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-invites-unity-devs-to-take-on-us185000-tizen-app-challenge they absolutely dont say anything about limitations. However, in today, many newspapers have been talking about this contest (rather late), one of them said that the contest is only for Indian developers http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/10/samsung-debuts-contest-tizen-developers-india.html
    Can someone explain to me? Thanks for read.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  12. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Nope no limitation based on country, I'm in us and I took part.

OFzatt likes this.
  13. OFzatt

OFzatt

Thank you!

MD_Reptile likes this.
  14. Aston-Martin

Aston-Martin

Nope, 2016 is open to international submissions. But the 2015 challenge was only for local contents providers.

This year is more interesting, more gorillas joining the fight over the peanuts with chimps...
    http://www.tizenexperts.com/2016/10/temple-run-most-request-game-tizen-store/

To give your the perspective....Just the fore-runner reviews alone, could be the sum of indie 10year download totals....and far exceeding whatsapps daily installs of 4400...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  15. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Would be nice to know if the first 50 apps were submitted or not :p

16. Moonjump

Moonjump

My submission said that you for entering, but made no mention of the first 50. I doubt Samsung want to announce those prizes have been taken in case submissions drop off. But we haven't heard from anyone getting an Early Bird prize. Maybe there is an NDA for winners, or maybe they are not telling anyone until the end.

I'm surprised they didn't offer a Tizen phone to all entrants. Low cost to Samsung, useful for developers, keeps an incentive for the full duration of the competition. Another option would have been prizes for the first 25, and 25 prizes for random entrants.

FiveFingers likes this.
  17. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I don't think we will have the answers to these questions until the winners are announced in November (probably late November I am guessing)

18. zugsoft

zugsoft

I wanted to buy a Samsung Z2, but impossible , only available on ebay from India.
    Completly stupid.

19. MobizITS

MobizITS

I found issue reviewer of tizen is very stick about minor defect i have more than 30 minor defects

MrEsquire likes this.
  20. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes the stricktest of all stores, they literally check for everything...
    Got news on part 1 of competition, still waiting for reply on part 2..

21. Moonjump

Moonjump

What was the news on part 1?

22. sisusisu

sisusisu

Early bird results out ??

23. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Just that I can sign for part 2 - but nothing yet after this..
    Same thing with Microsoft competition - I'm starting to think that these competitions just publicity.
    Lets see the winners?

24. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I am about 75 percent sure the "Talking Cat" app won first prize. Haven't seen any results, just judging from the list they had on the tizen store. Kinda bummed me out my app wasn't featured, even though samsung said it would be, but it never showed up during the period they said it would :/

Anyway, I only saw about 25 apps in that list, I assume there were at least 25 to 50 more submissions (perhaps more) that never got featured in that list.

25. Tzan

Tzan

Meow!

26. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Ummm... okay?

EDIT Ohh wait, you made the talking cat app? :p

Or are you just poking fun at it haha

27. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

You get screenshot of the chart? has it changed?

28. Tzan

Tzan

Yeah, I have no idea what it does, but I would expect a lot of meows.

29. Aston-Martin

Aston-Martin

If go by "pure" DL number, the game with the most popularity wins...
    Bet 1$ on Temple runner 2, with 5k reviews estimate around 30-50K DLs range. (unless they change the rule)

It's a 3 digit difference between featured & non-featured. And It's curated, so not all your entries will be featured.
    Did you read the fine print "All Countries except Indonesia,South Africa",so most likely you not gonna see anything unless you are in that continent...

Looking at the launch dates, around 20 entires are published in the first week alone. The rest you do the maths...

30. trancanhluc

trancanhluc

My application has 60k download, should I hope for a certain award :D :D

31. Nolex

Nolex

LOL :D

My application has 50k downloads, but I wouldn't hope for first 3 places :)

Aston-Martin likes this.
  32. Aston-Martin

Aston-Martin

congrats! :D

33. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

wow I assume its free game?

34. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

You two above are certainly closer than I came, with under 20k dl's by my count, good work!

35. sisusisu

sisusisu

Did anyone recieve message from the samsung tizen team. the downloads till 21 November will be counted and that the results will be published in November itself. Also they need to verify whether the app/game is made in unity before announcing the results

36. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

This is a screenshot of the banner you click to see them, and a GIF of the list from the "samsung remote test lab" on a Z3 in the US (I've seen the exact same list on one in india, and one in korea):

EDIT: PS, I just assumed this was the right list, I could be wrong! :X Anyway it seems they are unity apps, and it seems they were all released within the correct time period, so that is what I was going off of, but it is clear this does not show ALL the apps (such as mine)... please speak up if you had an app on there, and it is not showing in that list!

EDIT 2: also, whoever did the talking cat app (assuming that is actually the right list haha) did really awesome, they are on the top free at number 46 today! So they really rocked!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Nolex likes this.
  37. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

As you scan see every game is free almost on there.. Hence the Tizen platform load of *****(insert word of choice)
    Even with paid game price so low hardly any downloads.. so I think in future who ever makes Tizen game, just load it with adverts, inapps probably not sell either

38. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I wouldn't say its so bad myself... I am fairly happy with the download numbers... I haven't made any advertising dollars there yet.... but it is still a viable platform so far, and doing well in several countries.

The downloads are strong in India and some other non-US countries. I think if samsung plays it smart with a US launch and some publicity, this device could do well here. I think it needs some more time to incubate and get the ads working right with InMobi (see my thread regarding InMobi ads: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/inmobi-ads-with-tizen-unity.436116/ ) but... once that has had some stuff ironed out, it could be a very fast growing new platform for us to reach, with advertising revenue streams if nothing else!

Even if we don't win we should be happy unity got a new platform :p

So on another note, anybody else get the splash screen always even on unity plus with tizen?

39. sisusisu

sisusisu

My friend's friend got an intimation that he is in the list of three prizes. Anyone got any intimation on the early bird prize?

40. Moonjump

Moonjump

aliceingameland and MrEsquire like this.
  41. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

"We're thrilled by the level of quality of the games entered into the challenge" - save it for someone who does not know about game development Unity really!!!

Wow this is shocking, half of the games are templates u can buy and change and port.
    I have little faith left in mobile development, I think this is the way to go to make money.
    No point trying make something original. Although says most downloads in period!
    I do not think these competitions are fair, and yes your correct i can see same person added multiple games.
    So this means he made himself more cash then he would actually selling the games on the store..

Nolex likes this.
  42. Moonjump

Moonjump

I don't think the competition format was the best for Tizen or developers. The prizes encouraged speed over quality. Did Tizen want to brag about app numbers? Or did they want good apps that will attract customers?

I hope Tizen get things right as competition improves the breed, but my entry experience shows they are not ready yet. Documentation was poor. Help was lacking. Processes were unnecessarily convoluted. Lacks features such as a working ad network. No way to view the app store on the internet. Robust QA is good, but it sometimes became overly pedantic, and error reports were often undecipherable. These are things that can be solved, and I hope they are.

Nolex and MrEsquire like this.
  43. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Well said +1

44. Tzan

Tzan

I was looking forward to saying "congrats!" to someone in this thread, but.....

sevensails and MrEsquire like this.
  45. MrGky93

MrGky93

im sure
    Talking running Casper cat 3D winner have more than 1mio downloads maybe 10mio downloads
    because 50k downloads im not in mhh 100k downloads also not but 1mio + 100%

46. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Yeah bummer, I'm a loser in all categories :p .... and somehow severely miscalculated the numbers in the competition?

I didn't see a ton of those apps that won, in that list I shared, but yet many must have gotten on there very early and never been featured with those shown in my GIF. Personally I think that's unfair to feature some of the contestants of a contest but not all of them.

Meh, well at least InMobi released ads and we can start monetizing India now... sure wish somebody would report back if they can even get test ads working for their tizen app! That'd be nice to know.

47. Maulwurfmann

Maulwurfmann

Awesome! Just saw that i won the Early Bird Prize, many thanks!! :D:D
    Just a bit curious because i did not receive a E-Mail notification, but i guess this will come shortly...

Jo-Ryall and MD_Reptile like this.
  48. Tzan

Tzan

Congrats!
    Which game is yours?

49. Maulwurfmann

Maulwurfmann

Road Rush Racer

50. Tzan

Tzan

I was just poking around your web site.
    The Road Rush and the Hungry Eater game look real nice!

Maulwurfmann likes this.