Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 (2013) Vuforia 7 + Unity 2017.3

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by henriqueranj, May 8, 2018.

1. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello, I have an app with Vuforia 7 in Unity 2017.3 that is showing a black screen instead of the device front camera feed in a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10 (GT-P5210) with Android 4.4.

The following error log appears:

E/Unity (27321): Exception in callback: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ExecutionEngineException: SIGILL
    E/Unity (27321): at (wrapper managed-to-native) Vuforia.VuforiaNativeWrapper:trackerManagerInitTracker (int)
    E/Unity (27321): at Vuforia.VuforiaNativeWrapper.TrackerManagerInitTracker (Int32 trackerTypeID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    E/Unity (27321): at Vuforia.TrackerManager.InitializeTrackerNative (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    E/Unity (27321): at Vuforia.TrackerManager.InitTracker[ObjectTracker] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    E/Unity (27321): at Vuforia.VuforiaARController.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    E/Unity (27321): at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
    E/Unity (27321): at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    E/Unity (27321): --- End of inner exception

The project's Player Settings are the following:
    Graphics API: Auto
    Multithreaded Rendering: Enabled
    Device Filter: FAT (Armv7 + x86)

I have been reading online that people had issues in the past with Vuforia and Intel Atom processors. Is this still something that exists with Vuforia? Could someone advice on this?

2. Tilonsoft

Tilonsoft

I'm having the same issue. Did you found a workaround?

3. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

@Tilonsoft none at all. Also no word from Vuforia support.

4. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

@henriqueranj I've been able to reproduce this and will try to get you additional information on it.

ROBYER1 and henriqueranj like this.
  5. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Thank you @Vuforia-Strasza !

Despite the fix for it, do you know what is the cause? Is it hardware related? As we will release very soon a new AR app in the Google Play Store, we are looking into blacklisting the family of devices that will face the same issue.

6. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

@henriqueranj The change came through Unity and not Vuforia. We don't have insight into their bug fixes so you would need to reach out to them about the nature of the change.

7. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

@Vuforia-Strasza I understand. However can you clarify with more information on this change? I suspect that if I contact Unity with a Vuforia related issue and log they will send me back to you.

8. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

I got my threads crossed and thought you posted this response to this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/recurring-limitation-camera-feed-lag-in-android.517229/

Are you still seeing the issue with the Tab 3? Or was that response meant for the other thread?

9. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hi @Vuforia-Strasza , oh I understand the confusion. This issue is not relevant to that camera feed bug in Unity.

Yes, I am still seeing the issue with the Tab 3. An app made with Unity 2017.3 and its relevant Vuforia version is failing to load the camera (with the log I presented in the beginning of the thread) in the Samsung Tab 3 10.1 (2013). An app made with Unity 5.6 and Vuforia 6 works fine in this device.

Do you have any additional information about this? Currently I'm trying to understand where the issue comes from so I can apply some blacklisting in the Google Play Store.

10. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

I have encountered this issue on 7.0.X with Unity 2017.3 and wanted to try it on the latest, but was unable to even install the app to this device when using 2018.1 with Vuforia 7.1.34. Have you tried this combination with any success?

What was the last version of Vuforia + Unity that worked with this device?

11. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hi @Vuforia-Strasza , I have not tried that combination yet.

With this device, I managed to have an app running well with Vuforia SDK 6.2.10 and Unity 5.6.0f3

12. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello @Vuforia-Strasza , the same problem is being reported for the Acer Iconia 7 B1-730. Similar to the Galaxy Tab 3 10, this device also has a Intel Atom Z2560.

Is there any update on this issue?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  13. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello @Vuforia-Strasza more devices have been showing this issue, the common factor between them is the Intel Atom Z CPU.
    These are the current devices showing this issue:
    • Acer Iconia A1-830
    • Acer Iconia 7
    • Samsung Tab 3 10.1 (2014)
    • Asus ZenFone 5 (A500CG)
    • Asus MeMO Pad 7 (ME70C)
    • Dell Venue 7

14. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

@henriqueranj I have a ticket open with the core engineering team on this issue. I've been able to reproduce it up to version 7.2 of Vuforia. I'll share any further information as I get it.

15. cvillena

cvillena

Any progress with this bug? We migrated from Unity 5.6.6f2 to 2017.4.7f1 and crashes began to appear in all devices with Intel Atom. Samsung Tab 3.0 10, Asus Zenphone

16. meedabit

meedabit

Hello @cvillena and @henriqueranj,

This issue is still under investigation. The current RCA is that the CPU does not support system calls that are required for our computer vision algorithms.

Fix is targeted for our next commercial release IF we are able to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

17. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello @meedabit, are there any updates on this issue? Has this been fixed on Vuforia 7.5.26?

18. meedabit

meedabit

Hello @henriqueranj,

Thanks for the prompt as I lost visibility of this issue.

Reviewing the ticket, it shows as being fixed in 7.5.20: "Added support for Android devices running older versions of SSE".

This is much more brief than the original release note text as provided in the ticket:

"Since release 7.0 the Vuforia Engine has required that Android-x86 devices support SSE level 4.1 or above, however some devices with older Atom processors do not support this SSE level and would crash when attempting to call Vuforia APIs. We have modified the SDK so that it can run successfully on all Android-x86 devices including those with older SSE support."

Is this a trap? Are you now going to tell me that it doesn't work? :)

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

19. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello @meedabit ,

Thanks for the quick update. I was checking this as we had a new release of an AR game and I wanted to check the status of its current blacklisted devices.

I did a test with a Samsung Tab 3 10.1 (2014) and it does work as expected with Vuforia 7.5.26!

Hope I did not make you worry instantly. :)

Best regards,
    Henrique

meedabit likes this.