Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung eyeing software acquisitions, including Unity Technologies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Souri, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Souri

Souri

2. goat

goat

Since Unity's based in Denmark that doesn't bode well for the credibility of the article.

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

I think for legal reasons they have changed that awhile ago:

http://unity3d.com/company/contact

News could be good or bad. The good is certainly the influx of capital a company like Samsung could bring.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  4. Souri

Souri

5. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Most of those companies other than UT are in pretty rough shape or really new. Atari's a shambling joke, Green Throttle Games has a single unreleased product to their name, I can't even figure out WHAT the purpose of Glympse is, not sure what Rounds is, and I can't tell if Everything.me is an OS or some sort of Android shell. UT being grouped with them seems a little off.

6. goat

goat

When I pay for Unity or an Asset the money goes to Denmark. Denmark is headquarters. Claims of San Francisco as headquarters is eyewash, like actors buying stylish homes in all the hip places.

7. sicga123

sicga123

@Jaimi - not always a bonus when a large corporation takes over a company like this. Murdoch's company took over Garagegames and it was thought a big influx of capital would take GG to the next level. Instead, the company was virtually destroyed and the Torque engines are now used by very few and are not really fit to task for rapid development. The last 2 or 3 years they've gone through quite a rough period and are unlikley to recover, and Murdoch's company did not invest in the game engines at all. Hopefully UT will say no.and that will be the end of that, unless UT is traded on the stock market, which I ahven't bothered checking.

8. goat

goat

True, Unity's so good because Unity's trying to survive and obviously has smart and good owners/management. Samsung acquisition will likely cause an exodus of key management, ownership and other talent and then leave what's left to neglect and attrition.

9. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

In one of the possible scenarios, Samsung could shut down Iphone as an Unity target, in the hopes of bringing more exclusives for Android and his Galaxy phones.

10. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Which I'm pretty sure UT would never let happen, considering losing an install base that large would cost them a LOT of license purchases.

11. goat

goat

Plenty of businesses have been bought to shut them down, some much bigger than Unity.

12. BFGames

BFGames

Not long time ago they rejected a large acquisition. So doubt the got any interest.

13. goat

goat

Let's hope.

14. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

No one is going to shut down unity.. It would aggravate millions of indie dev's and indie loyalists.

15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

But would people big enough to buy it care?

16. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Actually, it wasn't Murdoch, it was Diller (IAC).

The thing about big deals/acquisitions like this is that there is that they are a lot more complex than they appear. It is true the result is that GG suffered a harsh beating over the deal, but it isn't simply a big company crushing a smaller one. There were a lot of problems through out the whole thing. GG was seriously small, and as Indie as you can get. A tech was being developed in GG that got some folks very excited about changing the web and being the next big thing. (a plugin that let you run full high quality 3d games in browser). That is what was pitched to IAC, a web portal with console quality games, not the engine, or GG as a company/publisher, a gaming portal. GG had no experience running a portal, IAC did (HSN, Match, CollegeHumor, etc.)

Basically 2 companies, who knew little about the other's business, trying to create product that was a mashup of the two and no solid business plan. A bunch of tech geeks and gamers didn't know how to run a business on that scale, and a conglomerate with no knowledge of the game industry. In fact nearly a year after launch there was still no real plan for monetization. Eventually when it was clear the whole thing wasn't working, IAC took a bigger hand, and put Castle in charge and moved it to Las Vegas. A year later it was shut down. (I don't know much about what happened after the move, I was gone by then). At some point toward the end the tech side (the engine and tech, Torque), split of into a separate company.

The failure came from both sides, and was more a result of a lot of enthusiasm, and little planning. In retrospect, the acquisition was probably a bad idea from the start. (though didn't seem that way at the time). And since the product and the entities involved are no longer, I can say that the "plugin" was actually smoke and mirrors, and could have been a big problem down the road. GG was great company with the best intentions, just not geared in a way to handle that scenario.

--

UT is a large successful company who knows and understands their business very well. I have faith that they won't sell themselves off easily or a company that would significantly change or damage their product.

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I can't think of any company big enough to buy Unity that wouldn't destroy it. Some of them would destroy it worse than others, and some would take longer, but in the end it would be destroyed. And that would suck. We can only hope that those in a position to consider selling Unity don't get fed up with it all and decide to cash out any time soon....

--Eric

18. sicga123

sicga123

@Zombiegorilla - yes I got that info secondhand a couple of years back obviously I couldn't recall it clearly. Good to know the actual events behind it. The point is still the same though. Once IAC got involved Torque went into a steep decline and will never recover. From our perspective the reasons are irrelevant only the result matters. From my POV that result is that I spent a lot of money on Torque before IAC dumped it and there was so much doubt in the future of the engines I jumped to Unity, which turned out to be the best decision I could have made.

19. asenetpro

asenetpro

as posted
    Also They are now backing or was involve along with intel with the development of the tizen OS wich mean they could be moving they galaxy line product to that OS and also close down the android, Blackberry and window phone part within 2-3 years to have complete control over the mobile platform when it come to gaming.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen :confused:

20. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Tizen isn't going anywhere. It has less of a chance in the market than Windows Phone.

21. asenetpro

asenetpro

@ MarigoldFleur I think so also but why get involve and put a lot of time and money into developing an operating system if you don't have plan to push it. they also held an tizen App challenge with over 4 million in cash prize and join partner with sprint.. They plan to market it oversea first and if they switch the galaxy operating system but keep all the feature most people would buy it just because of the galaxy name brand and not the operating system. which would give it a better place in the market than window phone

22. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Very true, the details don't really make much difference from that perspective.

But that wasn't what I was getting at. I was just illustrating that the companies and scenarios are radically different. What happened to GG was result of factors that don't apply to Unity, or any company that would be in a position to purchase Unity or even the state of the industry. GG had an unfinished product (IA plugin), in an non-existent market, and were bought by a big company for very little money as a sort of side venture. It was a high-risk, low cost investment. GG/IA's failure wasn't a huge impact on IAC's business. And GG, while profitable, was not a big business. Sadly, GG was kind of a like buying a lottery ticket for IAC.

Unity, on the other hand, is huge. They practically own their market, and it is significant and successful one. And any company capable of purchasing Unity, is going to huge, and even so, purchasing Unity would be a significant investment, probably one that would only be made if there were very little risk. Other than the fact that both GG/UT make game engines, there is nothing remotely similar (well... some of the people) in the situations.

That was my point, that just because GG was acquired and failed, says nothing about what may or may not happen should Unity be acquired.

----

But in all honesty, I have hard time envisioning what company could/would purchase Unity. Autodesk and Adobe are really the only ones that make sense, because it would in line with what both of them do and they have the resources and market to benefit from owning Unity. Samsung doesn't make much sense unless it was primarily as an investment.

In my crazy little dreams, I would like to see Unity one day purchase Adobe. ;)

23. asenetpro

asenetpro

@zombiegorilla

i hope unity stay the course and continue to develop and improve it product. i would not like it to be sold to either adobe or autodesk. Autodesk would most likely discountinue the free version and raise the price on the pro version and what was the free version would become a low cost student version meaning we all would have to be a student to get the low cost version with limited platform. Adobe don't really know how to operate 3D anything so they be lost on the direction to take it.

24. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

If they plan to market it overseas then it's probably to capture developing markets in light of the fact that Blackberry is crashing and burning.

25. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Agree 100%. I hope the acquisition talk is just rumors and speculation. Unity is the best company by far to run Unity.

26. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

David has said they haven't accepted.

EDIT: Actually maybe I'm just crazy.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  27. user1j3di3j2sa3

user1j3di3j2sa3

it's not going to happen.

The founders are not simple minded ego maniacs that would want to sit back in the sun and put their feet up and retire doing nothing. They're very intelligent and the ego life style wouldn't be enough for them to be happy. They would need to create and innovate to keep themselves mentally stimulated. Without stimulation they would become depressed.

I can't think of anything more challenging or stimulating than what they're involved in, apart from making games :)

28. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Unity Technologies

Unity started in Denmark. About 4 years ago we took venture capital funding from Sequoia, and we were required to set up worldwide HQ in the US, hence our San Francisco office. More recently we took funding from WestSummit Capital and iGlobe Partners and so now have head quarters in Singapore. Your money might still end up in Denmark.

29. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

That article sounds like its misinformed or something!

If Unity became property of Samsung, I only hope they keep everything as it is, and let the same people take the decisions.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  30. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

look at there own App Store compared to google, amazon and iOS it's a joke. I couldn't see them buying unity would be as a good thing

31. wccrawford

wccrawford

If Samsung buys Unity, I give it 5 years to live, tops. Probably more like 3 years. They will treat it like a large corporate asset instead of a customer-centric company, and it'll just destroy it.

32. cod3r

cod3r

Seeing as Unity is probably already a very successful business model it makes sense that Samsung would keep all the guys on to move it ahead as usual, but certainly they might make changes and one being the pricing which could really suck. Hopefully they recognize that it sells because of what it is and hopefully have some employment contracts ready for the guys that are already involved with unity to keep them around to move it forward.

Would be badass for the unity owners though.. that'd be one bigggg pay day.

33. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Unity will stick around long enough to buy Samsung :)

34. code-blep

code-blep

I could not think of anything worse than for Unity to get bought out by another company. Unity is in my mind the closest thing to perfect for Indie Game developers like myself. I know I was pretty vocal when the EULA was changed out of the blue, but that was the only time I have been disappointed in any way with Unity. Actually thinking about it, I can't think of another company that has been so consistent in all round satisfaction. Let's hope this is just wild speculation. If begging is required not to sell, then I will be first in line!

35. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Maybe now Unity will cost 5000 per seat... yearly! D-:
    *keeps calm and lay on the floor without moving... just don't panick*

36. GiusCo

GiusCo

Difficult not to sell after 5.0 release: UT will need to scale up badly in order to become the dominant platform in visual entertainment (mobile, desktops, consoles, TV). Samsung is a good fit because they make the hardware and are having a shot at software.

37. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I'd wager they're already the dominant platform in mobile game engines.

38. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

There are several parties that would probably buy out Unity if they could.

1. Microsoft. The flagging sale of their Windows Phone will probably be the catalyst for Microsoft to go "nuclear" and try to buy out Unity "at any cost" to shore up their market share.

2. Google. Of course, Google won't let them..... so Google could spoil their party by trying to acquire Unity too..

3. Apple. And Apple... maybe not. Apple is far less interested in acquiring Unity than the above two.

4. Autodesk. Autodesk seems like a good fit for Unity - they are making almost everything for CG/CAD/Game/DCC (Digital Content Creation) market and the only thing they are missing right now is a top notch multi-platform game engine.

5. NVidia. Nvidia is similar to Autodesk in some way, they have a large software division that makes all kinds of game tools and utilities for game creation but they are just short of making a proper game engine like Unity. I am sure they can very much create a proper game engine themselve (which is what puzzle me for a long time - why didn't they), but for some reason, they chose not to.

6. Samsung - they are flush with cash from their Galaxy and TV product lines, but I don't think this is a good fit for Unity to be acquire by them - Samsung has almost no software experience and their previous attempt to create their own platform failed spectacularly (BADA anyone? :D). I don't think moving to Tizen is going to change that.

Ryiah likes this.
  39. darkhog

darkhog

God, no Autodesk, please. They make Hardest. To. Use. Software. Ever. Designed. And probably would kill Unity Free.

40. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

3DSMax and Mudbox are both easier to use than alternatives like Blender, Maya, and Zbrush. Also they probably wouldn't kill Unity Free considering they give away free versions of their software.

lmbarns likes this.
  41. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

42. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

Give away? The Autodesk PLE license is only for eligible students, non-commercial, and expires after some time.....

Autodesk free / useless license and Unity free license are as far from each other as it can get...

43. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Did you know that "self taught" counts as being a student to them? "Eligible" means "I clicked the thing."

44. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

45. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

46. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

Legally?

47. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

All through their own forms. I've even talked to support under full disclosure this is what I'm doing.

48. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Even if true, commercial use is still not allowed.

49. XGundam05

XGundam05

Coming from a CAD (And yes, that's AutoCAD) background, Blender is so much easier for me to use than 3DSMax. Hotkeys are your bestest of best friends. And "easier to use" is massively subjective.

And yeah, as others have said: Autodesk Student != commercial use.

50. fbgbdk4

fbgbdk4

I'm sure they assumed you conformed to the agreement above. But it is their business, not mine, so the best of luck for you.

unityunity