Search Unity

Official Samples

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by MartinGram, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Micz84

Micz84

I understand that it is the first element in a given key of MultiHashMap, but it same entity won't be twice in different keys as they are a hash of position. But maybe I am still missing something.

I wish code had some comments :) explaining why everything is done as it is it would help.

2. OleJuergensen

OleJuergensen

Yes, it does not seem to make sense. The HashPositions job would have to add the same entity to the hashMap multiple times. Or at least the same index, so maybe the index is not unique? Actually I find several thousand boids, but indeices always seem to be in the hundreds. So I guess the index is not unique.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. OleJuergensen

OleJuergensen

Okay, so the HashPositions job that originally fills the HashMap is a
    IJobProcessComponentDataWithEntity, which uses chunk iteration. The indices it writes to the hashMap as values are chunk indices and therefore multiple entities have the same index. I think the naming of many signatures in ECS could be improved. The lack of documentation and comments does not help either XD

4. Ziboo

Ziboo

Is that normal to have poor performance in the samples ?
    upload_2019-3-19_23-13-44.png

tigerleapgorge likes this.
  5. Antypodish

Antypodish

Out of interest, what is your hardware specs?

6. recursive

recursive

Do you have burst jobs enabled? What level do you have set for stack trace logging?

7. Scott-Michaud

Scott-Michaud

I occasionally get massive slowdowns through Semaphore.WaitForSignal. It often clears up on its own... sometimes without even restarting Unity or changing scenes.

There's a thread on it here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/extremely-slow-editor-in-2019-2-0a7.640354/#post-4318279

Sometimes it happens in editor. Sometimes it happens in a standalone build. I've experienced it on 2018.3 and 2019.1. The original author of the thread experienced it on 2019.2. It hasn't been a problem for me for a few days.

Long story short: If it's affecting you (and if it's the same problem) then you might be able to just reboot or wait and it'll run faster again.

A bug has been opened but I don't think Unity has been able to replicate it.

8. Ziboo

Ziboo

It was apparently "Burst Safety Check" the issue.
    Weird things is that in the menu it was shown as disable. By toggle it twice, it seems to fixed the issue.
    Some kind of a refresh issue apparently

Edit: Btw I'm running on 2019.1.0b6

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  9. futurlab_peterh

futurlab_peterh

I'm getting massive Semaphore.WaitForSignal on PS4 and Switch builds using 2019.1.0b9. I've tried playing around with Burst settings as suggested, but that made no difference at all.

What did help me was to uncheck Development Build on the build settings; on Switch this made our current builds go from 28fps to 48fps. Of course there's more to it than just the WaitForSignal thing, but I don't recall having such a performance improvement by just unchecking it.

We do lose the ability to profile and debug builds, but it's useful as a workaround.

upload_2019-3-29_9-49-14.png

tigerleapgorge, Alverik and learc83 like this.
  10. Kombiice

Kombiice

Same problem with Semaphore.WaitForSignal here, too.

11. Kombiice

Kombiice

Created a test scene -

Using GPU Instancing on grass (Which is placed individually, using the same material).
    Sometimes I find myself not seeing GFX.Waitforpresent at all, in really empty scenes, though. Vsync is disabled, also via Geforce settings.

2019.2.0b1

Grass enabled:

upload_2019-5-11_15-37-23.png
    upload_2019-5-11_15-37-57.png

Grass disabled:
    upload_2019-5-11_15-36-38.png

upload_2019-5-11_15-34-58.png

Lionious and tigerleapgorge like this.
  12. Kombiice

Kombiice

With gpu profiling turned on, the render thread usage and gpu usage is suddenly really high, which seems to be the correct data, compared to before. Weird.

Edit:
    There seems to a lot really wrong. These gpu rates weren't that high with same scene setups and tests before 2019.1, the drae call rates are sometimes off, the render usage rate isn't right until using the gpu profiler, and Semaphore.waitforsignal causes higher cpu usage because the gpu usage is high, with a nearly linear increase... soo, always higher cpu usage, it serms like.

Edit 2:
    It's all running with way less problems and much faster in 2018.3 (14f1)

Edit 3:

Also, 2018.3 is not causing the TAA artifacts / frame smoothing, the editor is much faster (also, occlusion baking is faster and there are not the GI baking problems I had with 2019.1+ (Where baking took really long and sometimes GI wouldn't be displayed).

Edit 4: By the way, the problems with 2019.1 + were present in builds too, not just the semaphore.waitforsignal thing.

Edit 5: Okay, Gfx.WaitForPresent is still there in 2018.3(14f1), causing high cpu usage, but still, everything's running much faster and there are less editor problems.

Edit 6: I closed the profiler (GPU profiling was enabled, too) entirely, the fps rate is much higher in 2018.3(14.f1) now. And the render thread usage dropped from around 20ms to 5ms again. Similar to the time when I enabled gpu profiling in a newer unity version which showed that gpu usage wasn't at around 7ms, but 50-60ms (Also in the stats tab in game view)

Edit 7: Also, when having gpu profiling enabled, it can be seen that volumetric fog takes around 30ms in newer unity versions, and just about 3ms in 2018.3

Edit 8: Disabling gpu profiling sets the render thread usage way down.
    Closing the profiler entirely sets render thread usage down to about 3ms from around 18 MS in a testscene (Similar to disabling the gpu profiler), and cpu usage way down, too, giving me over 100 fps in that certain testscene, to around 60 with the profiler opened. There are many inaccuracies using the profiler and testing inside the editor at all

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  13. WAYNGames

WAYNGames

Hello,

I am working on "modular game mechanics" (move/jump/shoot/...) using as much preview package as possible, including DOTS and the new input system.
    You can find it here.

As you can guess the usual disclaimer is that it's all subject to changes, it has some issues that I'm discussing on the forum and it needs a bit more documentation (WIP).

Still I hope it can be of some value to anyone.

hugokostic, zeb33 and alexnown like this.
  14. Nyanpas

Nyanpas

15. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We have an open issue with chunk fragmentation right now, it's being fixed.

FROS7 likes this.
  16. Nyanpas

Nyanpas

Very great. I shall await the proceedings of this. :3c

17. Lite5h4dow

Lite5h4dow

its been almost a month since the sample stuff has been updated, and I've been left in the dust with ECS and im struggling to update my code. could anyone direct me to some up to date samples / documentation?

18. Antypodish

Antypodish

One month is actually not long at all.
    You can use earlier stable release for now, which is compatible with samples.

Lite5h4dow likes this.
  19. The-Exceptional-Bruce

The-Exceptional-Bruce

Looking for ECS samples and tutorials? This is a good series by Code Monkey :

20. whoa928

whoa928

Where can i get the "Twin Stick Shooter" demo or url?:(
    I got nothing about it on the top...
    THX.:)

21. Antypodish

Antypodish

Current samples
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/EntityComponentSystemSamples/tree/master/Samples
    Throwing error
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.burst@1.0.4\Editor\BurstAotCompiler.cs(638,32): error CS7036: There is no argument given that corresponds to the required formal parameter 'exceptionType' of 'BuildReport.AddMessage(LogType, string, string)'
    during importing into Unity 2918.2.0b10
    I haven't tried load other burst preview yet.

Edit:
    Upgrading to burst preview 1.1.1, seams resolves matter.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  22. Antypodish

Antypodish

Testing Physics samples. Other samples including boids work well.

But somehow Physics NonUniformScale sample is extremely slow / laggy for me.
    Any reason for that?

XthemeCore likes this.
  23. Nyanpas

Nyanpas

futurlab_peterh and Orimay like this.
  24. Jimmy_Lin

Jimmy_Lin

Nyanpas, Nanomid and schaefsky like this.
  25. GameSire

GameSire

SoonTM

tigerleapgorge and Nyanpas like this.
  26. Antypodish

Antypodish

@MartinGram
    @Joachim_Ante
    Just to let know, in ReleaseNotes, Samples Version 30
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...18c4c2e9bf114d0c50/ECSSamples/ReleaseNotes.md
    3rd bullet point, link to docks is broken.
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi.../ECSSamples/Documentation/entities_foreach.md

27. Ruberta

Ruberta

When will DOTS sample come? I means the one that come with third person controller and DOTS animation.

28. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Also interested in this, its been a long wait...

Nyanpas likes this.
  29. TextusGames

TextusGames

I think it will come soon after 2019.3 will be released.

Ruberta likes this.
  30. wilson_p

wilson_p

Hey everyone, We just made a "Star Wars" like demo using ECS + ML Agents + VFX + ShaderGraph, a Unity 2019.3f one stop solution.
    Great thanks to Unity Boids Sample!
    Hope you like it!
    Making Neural Networks with VS Tool tutorial will be released soon, about one week after VS tool Drop6.

31. Antypodish

Antypodish

Really nice video. Thank you for sharing.
    Did you face any additional challenges, using current URP? Or did it work pretty much out of the box (Shader Graph)?

Do you plan implement each boids spaceship, to shoot as well at the target?

32. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Really impressive use of ML agents. Would love you guys to write a guide/article/tutorial on the general workflow you did to get to this stage.

pyramid_seph and Antypodish like this.
  33. wilson_p

wilson_p

starwarcover.jpg
    That's a long story.
    I came along with bugs everyday. Such as:
    1. you cannot install ShaderGraph7.1.6 and VFX7.1.6 together in Unity2019.3f, they are conflict with each other. I installed VFX7.1.5 instead, but it seems VFX7.1.5 cannot save your VFX file correctly. You need to leave VFX graph open when you press play button, otherwise some effects will not work correctly.
    2. cannnot find namespace MLAgents sometimes, and cannot find MLAgents in the reference list of AssetBundle.
    3. Unity 2019.3b is only stable on Windows Family Edition, in some other Windows system environments I cannot even open Unity.(most of my works are done in 2019.3b environment)

Below is a reference list of background knowledge for implementing such kind of project:
    1. Machine Learning: Neural Network(TensorFlow, RESNET), Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning(SAC/PPO). Python base.
    2. ML Agents: Hyperparameter adjustments, Feature Engineering, Imitation Learning.
    3. Singleton class: NativeContainer that can pass data across Monobehaviour world and ECS world.
    4. ECS: Boids Sample, which tells you tipical workflow of jobcomponentsystem.
    5. Shader Graph: GPU way of manipulating data,Computer Vision knowledge base.
    6. VFX: Coordinate transformation such as World-to-Local and Local-to-World transformation.

It took me several weeks from ground zero to this demo, I'm afraid I don't have enough time to re-implement it and make a tutorial, sorry.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  34. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Thats fair enough, that info is good enough!

35. Antypodish

Antypodish

@wilson_p thank you, for taking time.
    This is good inside anyway.
    Thx for letting us know, the challenges with Shader Graphs and VFX. Do you think current Unity 2020.1a could resolve of some issues? Weather they have been fixed? Did you report such bugs to Unity?

36. wilson_p

wilson_p

I belive Unity will get better and more powerful, that's why I choose Unity instead of any other engine.

37. Nyanpas

Nyanpas

Maybe a silly question, but I just watched the Pong-video DOTS-example, and is it so that the scripts taking from the JobComponentSystem (like PaddleMovementSystem) do not need a reference in the scene hierarchy to run, or did I miss something?

38. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

I didn't watch that yet, but the Job systems do run, without any prompting or game objects controlling them from a scene.

The job systems run when the game runs, so you may want to keep that in mind, as jobs will look for work on any loaded scene. So things may happen, or errors come up, if you forget that all systems are running in every scene.

Good Luck Have Fun!
    Micah

Nyanpas likes this.
  39. Nyanpas

Nyanpas

Thank you for answering.

However, this is a little bit concerning if you have large projects and need to control which jobs should be running as to not have a processing overload, or if you just miss a folder of jobs running. What steps can be taken to address this?

40. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

You are confusing jobs and systems. Jobs are scheduled from systems. If a system doesn't schedule a job, the job doesn't run. Systems get run from ComponentSystemGroups in a hierarchical fashion where the root systems are injected as delegates into a player loop. You can turn on and off systems with the Enabled property. And you can turn on and off a whole group of systems using the property of the ComponentSystemGroup.

Nyanpas and AggressiveMastery like this.
  41. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Great comment!

Just be sure @Nyanpas that you do not have work for jobs, and if you are writing your systems right, they should not find work, and so not have any overhead... well very little.

Like Dreaming said, you can also fully disable the system/s.

Nyanpas likes this.
  42. Antypodish

Antypodish

Is anyone was/is able to run successfully compound demo in Unity 2020.1a ?

EntityComponentSystemSamples/UnityPhysicsSamples/Assets/Tests/Compound/
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...ter/UnityPhysicsSamples/Assets/Tests/Compound

I used the extract from samples and I can manage to create single dynamic body, like BoxCollider and manipulate with it in 2020.1a.
    But if I try using CompoundCollider, raycast throws range of errors, basically saying
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    It works no problem in 2019.3.

On side note:
    Opening git samples in 2020.1a also throws range of errors on its own.

KwahuNashoba likes this.
  43. ZexScal4

ZexScal4

Is there any sample which shows how to give an object a compound collider that has a body for the object and a sphere trigger collider to see what around a certain area of the object?

44. Samsle

Samsle

Hey there,
    I went through the samples to learn the new ECS system (I'm new to Unity, but did already some tutorials).

Sample 6 "SpawnAndRemove" says in the Readme:
    and
    But these red parts are missing in the example.
    So I used it as exercise for myself but can't get it done.
    My idea was, to create a new system, which will create new entities after lifetime is expired with 3 components, one for the time when it should be created, one for the position and the other one for the prefab.. and they should be green :(

1. The prefab for the red cubes was given via gui to the MonoBehaviour (From data).
      Since we destroy the spawner entity with the prefab, how can I create a new Prefab via code (From code)?
    2. How can I make the new Prefab green?
      I tried this in a system (a cube should get green, as soon lifetime < 5):
      Code (CSharp):
      1. Entities.ForEach((Entity entity, int nativeThreadIndex, in RenderMesh render, in LifeTime lifetime, ...) => {
      2. if (lifetime < 5.0f) {
      3. render.material.color = Color.green;
      4. commandBuffer.AddSharedComponent(nativeThreadIndex, entity, render);
      5. }
      6. }
      The lifetime is random for each cube.
      But the downside is, that as soon as the first cube's lifetime gets smaller 5, all other cubes become green.
      Also the burst-compiler cannot be used, because RenderMesh is a shared component -> I guess this also explains the problem I have.. its "shared".
    Would be nice if someone could finish this example & post it here, or at least answer my questions :)
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  45. fanzhengyong2015

fanzhengyong2015

46. fanzhengyong2015

fanzhengyong2015

47. majid_r

majid_r

48. Onigiri

Onigiri

Physics is running in update right now. Enable vsync or force to target frame rate

nyanpath likes this.
  49. nyanpath

nyanpath

Is this also related to the suspension being compacted by default?

50. Abbrew

Abbrew

Is the dataflowgraph documentation anywhere here?