Search Unity

Resolved Sample/Tutorial template projects have build errors without me even touching them

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by notOkVit, Apr 14, 2021.

1. notOkVit

notOkVit

Hi everyone! I hope I'm in the right forum, if not, dorect me somewhere else please. Also, I tried searching, without any luck though...

I installed the Unity Hub, then inside it, I installed recomended Unity Editor (2020.3.3f1) and then wanted to follow one of the sample/tutorial projects there are. Unfortunately, which ever I try (i.e. 3D, Karting Game, VR), it has build errors from the very begining, without me even doing anything else, other than starting the project from Unity Hub.

Among other warnings, it says:

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.collab-proxy@1.3.9\Editor\Components\ChangeEntryGroup.cs(10,18): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AdapterListView' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.collab-proxy@1.3.9\Editor\Components\HistoryEntryComponent.cs(36,25): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AdapterListView' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.collab-proxy@1.3.9\Editor\Views\IMainView.cs(17,44): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AlertBox' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.ide.rider@2.0.7\Rider\Editor\ProjectGeneration\ProjectGeneration.cs(92,33): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AssemblyNameProvider' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.ide.rider@2.0.7\Rider\Editor\UnitTesting\TestsCallback.cs(13,11): error CS0103: The name 'CallbackData' does not exist in the current context

I kind of understand what it means and I would probably know how to fix it, if it was my fault and if I knew what I used where and did not refference/include/instal... But this way, I'm quite lost. How do I even start to debug this? Google has nothing to say, Package Manager seems everything is allright and present...

So if anyone here would be kind enough to at least point me the right direction, I'd be very happy :)

Some screenshots:
    unity-build-errors.png unity-package-manager.png

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I have raged about this before. Unity is really careless with this "add lots of extra packages!" stuff, and I have NEVER been able to make a Unity example project work without first modifying it, not even once so far.

This is particularly baffling to me because these projects are intended for use by completely new users who would have no idea how to fix these issues.

To fix your problem, you need to go into the package manager (Window -> Package Manager) and remove all the extra unnecessary packages that Unity seems to still barf into new projects for whatever business reasons they think it's a good idea.

To start with, remove their Collab and Rider integrations (where the errors above seem to originate), and then it might work, or there might be more issues that you must resolve.

Unity: it really is ridiculous at this point. You must be losing SO MANY CUSTOMERS who just cannot get the most simplest of your project demos running because of this extra package barfing you do. Please stop.

@JeffDUnity3D for visibility. "Jeff-Wan Kenobi, you are our only hope."

supergod3208 likes this.
  3. notOkVit

notOkVit

Oh man! It worked! Thank you SO much!

I totally agree with the rage and with the "you must be losing so many customers part!" I was very close to giving up on Unity and believe me, if it happened, and if everything went smooth with Unreal afterwards, they would NEVER see me becoming a paying customer. I know I am not one right now, but if things go well, there is a very high chance I will become one ultimately. But having trouble running TUTORIAL projects... Come on, that's very offputting...

Anyway, thanks again... I guess it proves one thing they say in the comparisons - the comunity is a real benefit of Unity :)

Kurt-Dekker likes this.