Search Unity

Sample - Humanoid Rig 3dsMax

Discussion in 'Animation' started by kikobuyo, Feb 1, 2015.

1. kikobuyo

kikobuyo

Hey guys I got my character to work correctly in Generic Mode, but I have been experimenting with Unity's Humanoid mode. The character's IK is not correct, sliding the spine controllers to the fingers.

I have the character's hierarchy set correctly but I think a few bones are pointing the wrong direction. Is there a free rig you guys can recommend that will show me how to create a comparable rig for unity's Humanoid presets.

Thank you so much.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey kikobuyo welcome.

Since you are using Max I would suggest the same process I used to trouble shoot this setup which has to be iterative.

I began with biped and mimicked the humanoid setup until the rig came in and I didn't have to manually adjust anything in Unity.
    Two things to note, uncheck triangle pelvis and check triangle neck under biped structure.
    A lot of people who use other animation packages have commented on naming conventions but I didn't have any trouble with my bone names. Just don't keep the default biped names because they aren't helpful if you have one or more :) characters to animate.

After I had a biped rig that came in as humanoid without requiring manual adjustments - I know I had a base rig that I could replicate with bones.

Some other options if you don't like messing with biped are to download any free characters from the asset store that come into Unity as humanoid seamlessly and also have a corresponding fbx file available.

A couple other people have suggested using mixamo's base rig. I haven't tried this but I assume it would have perfect 1 to 1 mapping and proper naming conventions.

3. kikobuyo

kikobuyo

Thank you for the reply, I like your technical solutions and I will try it out. I have a few questions to ask before working on it
    1. Do I create the biped rig in front view?
    2. Do I rename root bone "Bip001" to something else?
    3. I am not sure what uncheck triangle pelvis and check triangle neck mean.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

1. yep
    2. yep - root or COM are good names(center of mass) or a specific character name. If you change the name under the biped rollout +modes and display - the name you change the bip to will propagate to all the bones i.e. change it to Ogre_Root, the neck bone name will also change to Ogre_Root_neck1. Handy little trick.
    3. put the biped in figure mode, under the structure rollout, on the motion panel at the bottom of the options, there are check marks. Biped defaults to checked triangle pelvis and unchecked triangle neck. Change these check marks and it will match Unity's humanoid structure.